Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Votto's homer today might have been the longest ever

Votto's homer today might have been the longest ever

The press says he hit a bathroom door on the riverboat deck on top of the batter's eye... but that's about the same place Dunn hit it off of Jose Lima years ago before the river deck was built.

You have to wonder which ball was hit the farthest

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud

Re: Votto's homer today might have been the longest ever

The problem with the Dunn home run is that there's no good video of it, because he hit it so far it went off screen lol. So I've never seen how high over the eye it went. Curious to see how HitTracker rates Votto's. I know the Reds announced it at 460, but I trust HitTracker's methodology a little bit more.

For those who don't know, Hit Tracker attempts to measure how far a home run would fly if it descended to field level instead of landing in the stands, bouncing off walls, etc. BTW, they say Gomes HR in the Civil Rights Game would have gone 451 feet. The Reds announced it at 430-something.
    Last edited by gilpdawg; 05-19-2010 at 03:04 AM.

Stat geek...and proud

You know what, I'm an idiot. The 460 that was quoted for Votto's HR was from ESPN's box score. Apparently ESPN is using Hit Tracker this year....so Votto's was 460 from Hit Tracker, which is now the longest HR hit in GABP this year. Their data is only back to 2006 except for some stuff in 2005, and according to that the longest HR hit in GABP is Balentin on 10-2-09. 495 ft.
    Last edited by gilpdawg; 05-19-2010 at 03:14 AM.

460 feet to dead center... pretty impressive, Mr. Votto

i thought he got it off the end of the bat when he hit it lol

jredmo2

Dunn's homer out of GABP was reported at 535 feet.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    Dunn's homer out of GABP was reported at 535 feet.
    And I believe it. Although since it flew over the concourse, probably nobody actually saw it land.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    And I believe it. Although since it flew over the concourse, probably nobody actually saw it land.
    The fish.

what about Wily Mo's shot to the top right of the bleachers in left-center?

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    The problem with the Dunn home run is that there's no good video of it, because he hit it so far it went off screen lol. So I've never seen how high over the eye it went. Curious to see how HitTracker rates Votto's. I know the Reds announced it at 460, but I trust HitTracker's methodology a little bit more.

For those who don't know, Hit Tracker attempts to measure how far a home run would fly if it descended to field level instead of landing in the stands, bouncing off walls, etc. BTW, they say Gomes HR in the Civil Rights Game would have gone 451 feet. The Reds announced it at 430-something.
    That's exactly how we measure it too.

Turn Off Ads?