Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Jocketty pull the trigger?

Re: Will Jocketty pull the trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I wouldn't mind a minor deal for a guy like Wigginton, who can play 1st, 2nd, 3rd, LF and provide some pop off the bench. You could use him to replace Cairo. Not a huge dropoff either when Rolen's back is acting up.
    I think Wigginton would be a possibility were it not for his dollars, (3.5 mill this season), which isn't alot but probably a bit more than they will want to part with. I think the guy they may target if they target anyone (assuming the Brewers continue to stink) is Craig Counsell (2.1 mill). They were interested in the offseason and he remains a guy who could help. Even if Cairo hangs around they could choose to pick up Counsell and send Janish down, or if Cairo still isn't doing much they can cut him loose. Perhaps even a guy like Geoff Blum (1.5 mill) who does have an option for '11 but it's a mutual one.

But I honestly don't see much more than a LHH IF option being sought, short of an injury. If Ramon happens to break down (he has the potential too) they might look to fortify that position as well due to a lack of major league quality depth.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Seems to me questions about Wigginton and Counsell boil down to how much better they will be--in the limited roles they're likely to play--than Valaika, Sutton, Frazier, or Janish. I'd be disinclined to give away much for either.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    In a vacuum, yes.
    In a vacuum, out of a vacuum, in a house with a mouse....if you can get Hanley Ramirez you get him. IMO
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The thing with LF is Johnny Gomes is Johnny Gomes. He is a nice player to have on your team but if you could get a better player to replace him that would make the team better. You aren't going to make a move to improve 1b, 2b, 3b, RF, CF, or C.
    I'm not a huge Gomes fan, but he's done nothing but hit for us since he was here.

He's produced about an .860 OPS for us over parts of two years.

His lifetime OPS is >.800, so it's not like we know he will regress.

I doubt we are likely to get someone who is a sure bet to be better at a price that would interest us.

An .860 OPS is more than what Holliday hits outside of Coors field in this life.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I'm not a huge Gomes fan, but he's done nothing but hit for us since he was here.

He's produced about an .860 OPS for us over parts of two years.

His lifetime OPS is >.800, so it's not like we know he will regress.

I doubt we are likely to get someone who is a sure bet to be better at a price that would interest us.

An .860 OPS is more than what Holliday hits outside of Coors field in this life.
    Would Adam Dunn peak your interest?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    He isn't a LF anymore. Where is he going to play?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    He isn't a LF anymore. Where is he going to play?
    Was he ever?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

At a cost of Alonso+?

Not unless Gomes production falls of a cliff.

I like the thought of Ty Wigginton as a super sub off the bench in place of Miguel Cairo.

I'm really intrigued by Grady Sizemore. I know he's off to an awful start this season but he's too talented to not rebound at some point. He's still young (27) and when he's at his best he's one of the better outfielders in the game. If the Indians decide to trade him I hope Walt gets involved. This could be his Reds version of the Jim Edmonds trade.

High five!

I'm a big Adam Dunn fan but he doesn't peak my interest. If we didn't have Votto, maybe because it seems like Dunn's defense at 1st has improved a bit and that makes him more valuable. However, we _do_ have Votto and the cost of vs. the marginal value Dunn provides in LF doesn't make a lot of sense.

If I needed to make a move for LF today, I'd be looking at Willingham, Kearns or Podsednik. All represent a pretty decent upgrade right now with Kearns providing the most value. Come July, that list will probably change a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    At a cost of Alonso+?

Not unless Gomes production falls of a cliff.
    How is he all of a sudden worth a team's #1 draft pick and top offensive player in the minors? When Dunn was two years younger he was worth Wilton Castillo and a long reliever

I don't see where Willingham, Kearns, or Podsednik are an upgrade on Gomes.

There. I said it.

I think he's a plus .800 OPS LF, and capably backed up by Heisey.
    Last edited by membengal; 05-19-2010 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I don't see where Willingham, Kearmns, or Podsednik are an upgrade on Gomes.

There. I said it.

I was getting ready to say the same thing

Cruisin' for trouble

It's not just LF that needs to be addressed - it's leadoff.

Realistically, I'd like to see how Heisey handles leadoff for a couple of weeks. If he comes through, it really solidifies the lineup, IMO. If not, then it's time to look somewhere else.

I'd also like another vet pitcher like a Cliff Lee. Leake is going to have to dial down some innings unless they plan to burn him this year and say to hell with next. We haven't had any appreciable innings lost due to injury, either and I don't think that's a trend that will continue indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I don't see where Willingham, Kearmns, or Podsednik are an upgrade on Gomes.

There. I said it.

Kearns is out-hitting him at the moment and he's much better defensively. Now, will he continue to hit at his current pace? Big question mark there.

Turn Off Ads?