Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Jocketty pull the trigger?

High five!

Re: Will Jocketty pull the trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    How is he all of a sudden worth a team's #1 draft pick and top offensive player in the minors? When Dunn was two years younger he was worth Wilton Castillo and a long reliever
    You mean when a two-month rental of Dunn was worth Wilton Castillo and a long reliever who's still a useful part of the Reds pitching staff?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Seems to me questions about Wigginton and Counsell boil down to how much better they will be--in the limited roles they're likely to play--than Valaika, Sutton, Frazier, or Janish. I'd be disinclined to give away much for either.
    I think Counsell would be worth what we give up to get him. I think a Jose Castro type makes sense for that type of deal, heck they owe us one after sending them Weathers for practically nothin'.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Kearns is out-hitting him at the moment and he's much better defensively. Now, will he continue to hit at his current pace? Big question mark there.

He's not out hitting him by that much, and Kearns BABIP and HR/FB rate suggests he's due for a big regression.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I don't see where Willingham, Kearmns, or Podsednik are an upgrade on Gomes.

There. I said it.

I think he's a plus .800 OPS LF, and capably backed up by Heisey.
    It will be interesting to see where all four are in late July.

Especially Kearns, he could be a hot commodity.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    He's not out hitting him by that much, and Kearns BABIP and HR/FB rate suggests he's due for a big regression.
    True enough. I'm not convinced LF is an area that should be targeted for upgrade anyway. Get another SP.
    Last edited by BRM; 05-19-2010 at 01:01 PM.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Gomes BABIP suggests he's due for a regression as well and he won't have a nice walk rate to help weather the out-making storm. Plus, Kearns is a better fielder.

Interestingly, Kearns and Gomes' career wOBA is almost identical.

Unfortunately...shortstop/leadoff are the biggest question mark right now. I believe Cabrera has endeared the team with some big hits.....but his lack of range, OpS and speed are the areas that I think the biggest improvement needs to be made.

I'm ok w/ him for now....but it would be nice to have a 'stat hog' in that spot that could steal a lot of bases, have a high OBP, and get things cookin at the top of the order over the long haul.

Pitching....I like the idea of jettisoning Harang....but even more than Cabrera, are they going to be willing to trade the guy that's been the workhorse of this team for 5-6 years, when they are finally 'good'? Not sure they'll do that.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

i expect Walt to 'pull the trigger' to improve the team in some way. the 25 man roster could use some help. who & when may depend on what the organization feels about the arrival of certain players from AAA.

i would not trade Chapman or Alonso for a rental. the idea of getting a younger star is right up Jocketty's alley. search the rosters of the really bad teams for ideas.

two blockbuster deals i like are the Bailey/Alonso/++ for Greinke and the idea of upgrading at SS. IMO the SS position is the weakest link in the Reds chain & the best place to upgrade. Cabrera would make a nice backup infielder.
    who to target? well the Hanley situation has been discussed. if i were Walt i'd talk to Dusty, Rolen, Votto & anyone on the team who has ever played with Hanley. see if they think the antics are managable. How about another name: STEPHEN DREW. The Diamondbacks are going nowhere & his name was brought up in trade talks last winter.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    I don't think any of the three above are realistic fits here.

Hanley would be a chemistry issue, plus we already have a shortstop we spent some money on. Cabrera is "working out" here in terms of the FO I'd think. They won't touch that. Hanley goes to a team who can afford his monster salary, it'll never be Cincinnati. It's probably a good thing as we're short on primadonnas and don't promote the type of baseball he plays.
    Unless you include Phillips in a trade for Hanley, giving the Marlins their solution at SS. Then you can either move Hanley or OC to SS.

(See what I did there?)

Likely? No. Improbably? Probably. Impossible? Maybe lol

Hanley would look might good leading off.

Maybe Mark Portugal or Juan Guzman will be available?

Maybe there is another Doyle Alexander out there the Reds can trade for a AAA pitcher?

I'd be careful about trading for a fill in starting pitcher, I can't remember the last time it worked out well for the Reds--maybe Tom Seaver in 1977.

I think Walt will fill needs that need to be filled come July. We'll see what injuries do to the team by then; that is where needs will need to be filled. My guess it will be in the bullpen.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post

Maybe there is another Doyle Alexander out there the Reds can trade for a AAA pitcher?

I'd be careful about trading for a fill in starting pitcher, I can't remember the last time it worked out well for the Reds--maybe Tom Seaver in 1977.

I think Walt will fill needs that need to be filled come July. We'll see what injuries do to the team by then; that is where needs will need to be filled. My guess it will be in the bullpen.
    I have more faith in Jocketty than any GM Cincy has had in recent memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post

I think the one you mentioned (Deion Sanders & John Roper for Mark Portugal, Dave Burba, and Darren Lewis) worked out great.

I also think the other deal that year (CJ Nitkowski for David Wells) was a great do.

Anytime you make the NLCS, I think the deal worked out great. Did we miss Roper or Nitkowski? I don't think so.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I don't see where Willingham, Kearns, or Podsednik are an upgrade on Gomes.

There. I said it.

I think he's a plus .800 OPS LF, and capably backed up by Heisey.
    You're not necessarily getting rid of Gomes, though.

He immediatley fills one of the biggest holes on the team, leadoff. I think most people would agree that Votto/Rolen/Bruce are the three best hitters on the team (in any order). The men who have been in the leadoff spot this year both have sub-300 OBPs.

If you acquire Podsednik (who probably won't cost a lot), you immediatley get more people on in front of Votto. Pods' OBP is .354 in Kansas City this year. He's also stole 14 bases and only has been caught three times.

You keep Gomes, Heisey, Stubbs and get rid of Nix. Podsednik can play in LF against RHP (who Gomes, despite his hot start, struggles with). And Podsednik can also play CF in smaller parks such as our home park.

IMO, when you consider Podsednik is a leadoff hitter, his costs, and his ability to play both LF and CF, he'd be a great fir for the Reds.

Absolutely not to Podsednik.

He's having a decent year and was ok last year but I'm just not sold.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Would Walt pull the trigger?

Walt would pull the trigger if it means winning.

Would Bob increase the payroll?

Bob will sell his leg to win, so hell yes.

Do we need to stay calm?

Yes, its mid-May. In Mid July lets revisit.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?