Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Jocketty pull the trigger?

High five!

Re: Will Jocketty pull the trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Absolutely not to Podsednik.

He's having a decent year and was ok last year but I'm just not sold.
    Well, I was thinking I'd rather have Podsednik leading off than any of Drew Stubbs/Orlando Cabrera. He's a fast guy that actually gets on base and may suit Dusty's lineup construction.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

No to Kearns. Been there, done that.

I'll take Gomes' over-agressive style to Kearns' passive one any day of the week.
    He's not an upgrade anyway.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I think we'll find out soon if Jocketty will pull the trigger. If the Reds remain near the top of the central in early June then I think he should pull the trigger early. Don't wait for the team to fall back or fail, give the team some more ammunition and better parts to keep winning. The Reds are playing above there heads right now but with one big bat or a top level arm this level of play would be sustained. I hope he makes a move if they Reds remain in contention. I am open to trading Alonso is that is what it takes. However, I don't think Bailey should go, he has to much upside and Bailey, Cueto, Volqueze, and Chapman are the future of this staff.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Well, I was thinking I'd rather have Podsednik leading off than any of Drew Stubbs/Orlando Cabrera. He's a fast guy that actually gets on base and may suit Dusty's lineup construction.
    yeah, but his overall production is still less than what we're getting from LF and his defense isn't nearly as good as stubbs .

Given that Cabrera's lifetime OBP is .321 and Posednik's is only .340 I just don;t think it is worth it.
    School's out. What did you expect?

High five!

yeah, but his overall production is still less than what we're getting from LF and his defense isn't nearly as good as stubbs .

Given that Cabrera's lifetime OBP is .321 and Posednik's is only .340 I just don;t think it is worth it.
    I'm saying play him in CF.

And you still have Orlando "RBI Man" Cabrera.

I'm saying play him in CF.

And you still have Orlando "RBI Man" Cabrera.
    Stubbs is young, cheap and has been playing pretty well of late. I'm not a fan of benching him for a 34 year old having a career year who has a noodle arm and really isn't that good of a lead off hitter in the first place. I agree it'd be nice if the reds had a traditional type lead off hitter but I'd stick with what we have before turning to podsednik.

And if Stubbs ends up needing to be benched i'd give Heisey the job.

High five!

Stubbs is young, cheap and has been playing pretty well of late. I'm not a fan of benching him for a 34 year old having a career year who has a noodle arm and really isn't that good of a lead off hitter in the first place. I agree it'd be nice if the reds had a traditional type lead off hitter but I'd stick with what we have before turning to podsednik.
    I like Stubbs but if the Reds are going to "go for it," he either needs to take a big step forward or they need to do something else. Besides, the Reds are sporting a cool .279 OBP from the leadoff spot and it leads to a lot of games starting like tonight's game: two outs with Votto up: essentially a worse case scenario than if Votto had just hit leadoff anyhow.

Dusty's not going to sacrifice getting on base for speed so give him both. And, I suppose, I'm not enamored with Pods but find someone with speed and on-base skills to stick out there. Maybe it _is_ Heisey.

I like Stubbs but if the Reds are going to "go for it," he either needs to take a big step forward or they need to do something else. Besides, the Reds are sporting a cool .279 OBP from the leadoff spot and it leads to a lot of games starting like tonight's game: two outs with Votto up: essentially a worse case scenario than if Votto had just hit leadoff anyhow.

Dusty's not going to sacrifice getting on base for speed so give him both. And, I suppose, I'm not enamored with Pods but find someone with speed and on-base skills to stick out there. Maybe it _is_ Heisey.
    Cabrera has a .333 OPB from the lead off spot. I'd give that some time.

Stubbs has been taking a big step forward since he moved out of the lead off spot.

Small sample sizes both, but the team is playing great, I see no reason to rock the boat and bring in someone from the outside to start in CF and lead off.

You mean when a two-month rental of Dunn was worth Wilton Castillo and a long reliever who's still a useful part of the Reds pitching staff?
    Well now you're looking at whether it was a good trade or not whereas I wasn't going there. I was merely comparing Alonso to Castillo/Owings. I'd argue Alonso is type A minor league prospect whereas neither Owings nor Castillo were

Absolutely not to Podsednik.

He's having a decent year and was ok last year but I'm just not sold.
    Amen. Just say no.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

High five!

Cabrera has a .333 OPB from the lead off spot. I'd give that some time.

Stubbs has been taking a big step forward since he moved out of the lead off spot.

Small sample sizes both, but the team is playing great, I see no reason to rock the boat and bring in someone from the outside to start in CF and lead off.
    I don't think that 50 PAs indicates anything.

And I'm not saying trade for someone right this minute. I am saying that if the team is going to have sustained success, they need serious improvement at the top of the order. Currently, the production from the 1&2 spots and 8&9 spots is almost indistinguishable. For Votto, Rolen and Bruce to be effective, that needs to change. Since Dusty is unlikely to bat those three first, getting a player seems like the best way to accomplish that.

Maybe it's Heisey, I'd sure like to see him play more so we can find out.

I don't think that 50 PAs indicates anything.
    Well then the composite stats of two players in one slot, one who has done well, and one who didn't don't really mean anything either.

FWIW, Phillips has done quite well in the #2 slot too, so while it is a small sample size as well, it's not like the #1 and #2 slots are complete crap.

High five!

Well then the composite stats of two players in one slot, one who has done well, and one who didn't don't really mean anything either.

FWIW, Phillips has done quite well in the #2 slot too, so while it is a small sample size as well, it's not like the #1 and #2 slots are complete crap.
    I prefer my crap, complete or fractional, dwell in the lower part of the order so as to minimize their presence.

Again, I don't buy that these lineup splits are anything one wouldn't find in a random sample of 50 PAs. Go with guys whose career number indicate they get it done over hundreds of repetitions. Even if O-Cab and BP figure their career numbers into the 1&2 spots, it's sub-optimal. I think giving Dusty the kind of guy he would succeed with is a good move.

I prefer my crap, complete or fractional, dwell in the lower part of the order so as to minimize their presence.

Again, I don't buy that these lineup splits are anything one wouldn't find in a random sample of 50 PAs. Go with guys whose career number indicate they get it done over hundreds of repetitions. Even if O-Cab and BP figure their career numbers into the 1&2 spots, it's sub-optimal. I think giving Dusty the kind of guy he would succeed with is a good move.
    That's fine, but Podsedniks career numbers suggest he's anything but an answer to anything.

If you were actually tauting someone who would help I might buy your argument.

Code:
    SPLITS	G	AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	RBI	BB	SO	SB	CS	AVG	OBP	SLG	OPS
    Season	39	153	16	47	3	2	2	15	13	28	14	3	.307	.359	.392	.751
    Career	920	3319	496	922	160	36	37	264	299	539	280	90	.278	.340	.381	.721

Turn Off Ads?