Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Jocketty pull the trigger?

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: Will Jocketty pull the trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I would target a player who could truly impact the team and is signed for a number of years reasonably. So no Cliff Lee, unless it is only for a guy like Alonso.

Go after Hanley Ramirez, kick those tires and see if Florida has decided it won't work with the team and their star. He won't pull that crap with Dusty. Or Scott Rolen, I suspect.

Call KC about Grienke. Yaneverknow.

Call Baltimore about Nick Markakis. See if he can be pried.

In each of those theoretical deals, I would include Chapman and Alonso as the center pieces, and see what else might be needed. I think teams would listen.
    I don't think any of the three above are realistic fits here.

Hanley would be a chemistry issue, plus we already have a shortstop we spent some money on. Cabrera is "working out" here in terms of the FO I'd think. They won't touch that. Hanley goes to a team who can afford his monster salary, it'll never be Cincinnati. It's probably a good thing as we're short on primadonnas and don't promote the type of baseball he plays.

Greinke won't go anywhere, not this year. Maybe next if things continue. But he's signed long-term and there's no reason for them to trade a guy who is part of the solution. They know they need to build around Greinke in KC.

Markakis makes the least sense of all, IMO. No reason to think he'd be made available. Even if he were, we've already got too many left handed sticks. Where do you play him? Left field? Markakis platoon with Gomes? Who plays center? Too many lefties to consider adding a lefty. Baltimore has been bad for a while. Markakis isn't having a tremendous season and they wouldn't get value out of him that he probably has in a few years if they cannot improve. I think they're still trying to build around him.

I think the more likely scenario is getting a guy like an Austin Kearns to be honest. Don't be surprised if this is the guy you hear about coming back to Cincinnati if he's still hitting over .290-.300 in June. The Indians have him on the cheap. He's playing for a contract. Right handed stick who drives in some runs and plays left field. I am telling you I think Kearns is a guy they'll call about--and I'm not high on Kearns. But for a half season, might be a guy who gets a spark, and he's more around the price range the Reds will be looking at while being a RH hitter who can counterbalance when a LHP is opposing our lineup.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

And I love the idea of Chapman as much as the next Reds fan, even more, perhaps. But he is no sure thing,
    why I thought he was a better prospect than Strasburg.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I think he's as good a prospect as Strasburg, flyer, but he is no sure thing. Neither is Strasburg.

In the Reds' case, if he can be flipped for a genuine young star under contract, then you do that.

With that, I duck out of this thread, as these kinds of threads inevitably become chiding about how you "can't do that" as if any of us knows what is or is not possible.

All I was trying to say was, if Walt is going to make a move, go ahead and go big. A piece like a Ramirez or Grienke or Markakis is worth dreaming big, and kicking some tires over. If it requires a Bruce or Votto, clearly don't do it. But it may not, in each case, for a variety of reasons.

That said, carry on, all. Enjoy.

Edabbs, how does targeting young all-stars under contract "ruin the future"? Seriously, how? I am not suggesting burning them on rentals. I am suggesting going after a piece to anchor this team for years to come.

And I love the idea of Chapman as much as the next Reds fan, even more, perhaps. But he is no sure thing, he has control issues to overcome, and if they can flip him as part of a package for a star like the ones I listed, I do that and don't blink.
    To be honest I shouldn't have responded to your post and really just posted that on my own. The guys you mention are younger guys under contract, not the Lee types. I actually agree with your premise. But not the Chapman part. I can't see him being dealt at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    I Markakis makes the least sense of all, IMO. No reason to think he'd be made available. Even if he were, we've already got too many left handed sticks. Where do you play him? Left field? Markakis platoon with Gomes? Who plays center? Too many lefties to consider adding a lefty. Baltimore has been bad for a while. Markakis isn't having a tremendous season and they wouldn't get value out of him that he probably has in a few years if they cannot improve. I think they're still trying to build around him.
    Bruce. Votto. Two is too many? Lefty bat is exactly what I'd be looking to add to a lineup with Rolen, Phillips, Hanigan, Stubbs and OCab.

I think if we get a LH outfielder, you'll hear a name like a Scott Podsednik. Can play CF, can lead off..... hitting over .300

Guys I think are possibilities: Kearns, Jose Guillen, Scott Podsednik, Ty Wigginton, Wes Helms.... guys of that caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz View Post
    Bruce. Votto. Two is too many? Lefty bat is exactly what I'd be looking to add to a lineup with Rolen, Phillips, Hanigan, Stubbs and OCab.
    What about when Dickerson gets back? What about Alonso coming up through the farm system? A lineup with Alonso, Bruce, Votto, and say; a Markakis probably never happens. I buy it a little more if you think the Reds never have intentions of Alonso playing at this level. That Cuban outfielder they just signed is also a lefty--a lot of people think he'll be up at some point this year. What position do you think lefty is an option? Left Field? I think unfortunately Gomes is hitting too much to make them seriously consider it. My biggest fear is Johnny Gomes does this another month or so and disappears in late July never to be heard from again; after the top guys we need to acquire for the stretch run to be every day players are already elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    What about when Dickerson gets back? What about Alonso coming up through the farm system? A lineup with Alonso, Bruce, Votto, and say; a Markakis probably never happens. I buy it a little more if you think the Reds never have intentions of Alonso playing at this level. That Cuban outfielder they just signed is also a lefty--a lot of people think he'll be up at some point this year. What position do you think lefty is an option? Left Field? I think unfortunately Gomes is hitting too much to make them seriously consider it. My biggest fear is Johnny Gomes does this another month or so and disappears in late July never to be heard from again; after the top guys we need to acquire for the stretch run to be every day players are already elsewhere.
    Your putting way too much faith in minor league players. You mean the Cuban OF the Reds just signed who is characterized as extremely raw? You mean the converted 1b who can hit but has some serious defensive concerns in LF?

The way I look at it LF and SS are the two positions that you can improve upon this season. I do think the Reds are content with Cabrera in the SS role this season. The thing with LF is Johnny Gomes is Johnny Gomes. He is a nice player to have on your team but if you could get a better player to replace him that would make the team better. You aren't going to make a move to improve 1b, 2b, 3b, RF, CF, or C.

If the Reds do go out and make a move, it's not going to be for a young player under contract for a long time. I'm sorry, it's not. It's not going to be Zach Greinke, and it certainly isn't going to be Hanley Ramirez. I know we like to dream big here at RZ, but some of these trade ideas are just way too far out there. There has to be a reason why the opposing team would want to trade that person. The Royals have no reason to trade Greinke, and the Marlins certainly aren't going to trade Hanley with the new ballpark opening next year.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Your putting way too much faith in minor league players. You mean the Cuban OF the Reds just signed who is characterized as extremely raw? You mean the converted 1b who can hit but has some serious defensive concerns in LF?

The way I look at it LF and SS are the two positions that you can improve upon this season. I do think the Reds are content with Cabrera in the SS role this season. The thing with LF is Johnny Gomes is Johnny Gomes. He is a nice player to have on your team but if you could get a better player to replace him that would make the team better. You aren't going to make a move to improve 1b, 2b, 3b, RF, CF, or C.
    Would a GM in this position actually make a move to replace a free agent SS signed this year who is playing as expected or a LF who has become a spark plug on this team while becoming a major offensive producer?

If today was deadline day, the only positions I thinkn they'd be looking to do something with would be SP and RP. Unless a stud becomes available to them or a current plkayer's production totally hits the skids, I'd bet that this lineup is what they will be going with for the season.

I wouldn't mind a minor deal for a guy like Wigginton, who can play 1st, 2nd, 3rd, LF and provide some pop off the bench. You could use him to replace Cairo. Not a huge dropoff either when Rolen's back is acting up.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I wouldn't mind a minor deal for a guy like Wigginton, who can play 1st, 2nd, 3rd, LF and provide some pop off the bench. You could use him to replace Cairo. Not a huge dropoff either when Rolen's back is acting up.
    That's a good idea there.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Would a GM in this position actually make a move to replace a free agent SS signed this year who is playing as expected or a LF who has become a spark plug on this team while becoming a major offensive producer?

If today was deadline day, the only positions I thinkn they'd be looking to do something with would be SP and RP. Unless a stud becomes available to them or a current plkayer's production totally hits the skids, I'd bet that this lineup is what they will be going with for the season.
    Its a good question. But I think if you can get Hanley Ramirez you have to make that deal. Maybe a pipe dream but its deal that you make if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Its a good question. But I think if you can get Hanley Ramirez you have to make that deal. Maybe a pipe dream but its deal that you make if you can.
    In a vacuum, yes.

Turn Off Ads?