Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Will Jocketty pull the trigger?

High five!

Re: Will Jocketty pull the trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    That's fine, but Podsedniks career numbers suggest he's anything but an answer to anything.

If you were actually tauting someone who would help I might buy your argument.

Code:
    SPLITS	G	AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	RBI	BB	SO	SB	CS	AVG	OBP	SLG	OPS
    Season	39	153	16	47	3	2	2	15	13	28	14	3	.307	.359	.392	.751
    Career	920	3319	496	922	160	36	37	264	299	539	280	90	.278	.340	.381	.721
    The OBP, which is the main thing I want from the first guy hitting, is leagues better than what we've done this season. It's also leagues better than if O-Cab hits to his ceiling.

However, again...it doesn't _have to_ be Podsednik, it just has to be someone who can scratch Dusty's itch for a "fast guy" in the leadoff spot and get on base at an above average clip.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I prefer my crap, complete or fractional, dwell in the lower part of the order so as to minimize their presence.

Again, I don't buy that these lineup splits are anything one wouldn't find in a random sample of 50 PAs. Go with guys whose career number indicate they get it done over hundreds of repetitions. Even if O-Cab and BP figure their career numbers into the 1&2 spots, it's sub-optimal. I think giving Dusty the kind of guy he would succeed with is a good move.
    I agree with this as a nice statement of a potential long-term problem being covered by a short term hot streak. I just am not a believer that Podsednik is a solution. He had a nice BABIP driven resurrection in 2009, but 2006, 2007 and 2008 were willyesque. Add that defensively Scott P is a downgrade from Gomes and I'd stay away.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I agree with this as a nice statement of a potential long-term problem being covered by a short term hot streak. I just am not a believer that Podsednik is a solution. He had a nice BABIP driven resurrection in 2009, but 2006, 2007 and 2008 were willyesque. Add that defensively Scott P is a downgrade from Gomes and I'd stay away.
    Podsednik is not a defensive downgrade from Gomes. I'd have him in CF _with_ Gomes. And, again, it doesn't _have to_ be Podsednik, just someone who is fast and gets on base so as to play into Dusty's managerial strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Podsednik is not a defensive downgrade from Gomes. I'd have him in CF _with_ Gomes. And, again, it doesn't _have to_ be Podsednik, just someone who is fast and gets on base so as to play into Dusty's managerial strategy.
    Podsednik is a terrible OF.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    My guess is that Walt will not ruin the future to chase long odds. Chapman isn't getting traded, period. Alonso likely only goes if the Reds are looking very strong in July (and the player being acquired is the missing piece) or if the player being acquired is a non-rental. Guys like Wood, Maloney, Frazier, Soto, Francisco, etc will be the ones most likely being dangled.
    The guys being talked about for acquisition (Grienke, Ramirez, Markasis) are long term moves, not short term. I have no problem backing up the prospect truck for any of those guys. The only guy in the minors I personally don't deal is Chapman.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    The guys being talked about for acquisition (Grienke, Ramirez, Markasis) are long term moves, not short term. I have no problem backing up the prospect truck for any of those guys. The only guy in the minors I personally don't deal is Chapman.
    The Reds won't be getting any of those guys without trading someone that no one wants to deal. You want Grienke or Hanley, get ready to say goodbye to names like Bruce, Chapman and Cueto. Those guys would require a headliner coming back.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

If all it took was Chapman as a center piece for any of those guys I would pack his bags myself. If everything goes right in Chapman's career he might be as good Grienke.

I would be focusing on Grienke before anyone else. Chapman, Alonso, plus 2 chaff guys. I mean its the Royals, I would at least offer.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    If all it took was Chapman as a center piece for any of those guys I would pack his bags myself. If everything goes right in Chapman's career he might be as good Grienke.

I would be focusing on Grienke before anyone else. Chapman, Alonso, plus 2 chaff guys. I mean its the Royals, I would at least offer.
    i agree that this deal would be great for the reds.
    grienke-arroyo-cueto-bailey-leake would mean the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post

The reason KC would deal him is to make their major league team better. They would need to get some offensive help back now.

I would guess that Grienke would command a deal involving Bruce or Votto, plus some minor leaguers.

Which means it ain't happening.

Then KC keeps losing.

You make the Chapman centered offer because Chapman IS a name that might allow them to sell the deal to their fans, and you overwhelm them with other top prospects, something KC readily needs.

All you can do is ask. If they won't do it. They won't do it.

That's their problem. Same with Baltimore and Markakis. Those teams are woeful and getting woeful-er. They need to flip their guys like Grienke and Markakis for a raft of MLB ready prospects. Baltimore in particular is dying for a 1b. Alonso would fit the bill there. They also need a SS in the worst sort of way. And, frankly, given Roberts' back, a 2b. Alonso/Cozart/Fraizer or Valakia. Toss in Chapman if need be, and the Reds could make a run at Markakis.

It. can't. hurt. to. ask.

If the response is Cueto/Votto/Bruce, you move on.

But the Reds have enough at AAA to kick some of those tires on teams that are awful, AND talent poor in their minors.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    The reason KC would deal him is to make their major league team better. They would need to get some offensive help back now.

I would guess that Grienke would command a deal involving Bruce or Votto, plus some minor leaguers.

Which means it ain't happening.
    I tend to agree. I have a feeling it might have to be Votto, I think Greinke is that good. And he's signed reasonably.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Then KC keeps losing.

You make the Chapman centered offer because Chapman IS a name that might allow them to sell the deal to their fans, and you overwhelm them with other top prospects, something KC readily needs.

That's their problem. Same with Baltimore and Markakis. Those teams are woeful and getting woeful-er. They need to flip their guys like Grienke and Markakis for a raft of MLB ready prospects. Baltimore in particular is dying for a 1b. Alonso would fit the bill there. They also need a SS in the worst sort of way. And, frankly, given Roberts' back, a 2b. Alonso/Cozart/Fraizer or Valakia. Toss in Chapman if need be, and the Reds could make a run at Markakis.

But the Reds have enough at AAA to kick some of those tires on teams that are awful, AND talent poor in their minors.
    +1

If I bought the woeful Royals I would attempt to trade Greinke in a 'Hershell Walker' type deal. Walker was a very good player for the Cowboys. they traded him for something like 11 players one of whom was a draft pick named Emmitt Smith. I'd ask for Chapman, Alonso, Heisey, Wood, Maloney & Del Rosario. that type of deal lays the foundation for a big rebuild.

Then KC keeps losing.

For a top 5 (or better) pitcher in baseball, you need to get guaranteed results back. A minor league deal makes sense for him if he is a rental, but a trade gets you 2.5 years of him. You aren't getting him for minor leaguers. Chapman is nice but they don't have to trade Grienke and they definitely don't have to trade him to appease the fans. They have to trade him to make their team better.

Markakis is a different story, and you would be able to get him for much less than Grienke. He isn't a marquee guy at his position.

Sigh.

edabbs, that's why I said, "if not, you move on". I don't need a lecture on what's possible and what's not when no one knows. If it takes all that, and it may, then you don't do it. But at least you ask. You make KC look at it twice by offering Chapman. Add in Bailey, and I bet they look twice. That's all I am trying to say. There's no sense saying what they will and won't do since we can't know. Good gravy.
    Last edited by membengal; 05-20-2010 at 09:15 AM.

Sigh.

edabbs, that's why I said, "if not, you move on". I don't need a lecture on what's possible and what's not when no one knows. If it takes all that, and it may, then you don't do it. But at least you ask. You make KC look at it twice. That's all I am trying to say.
    OK

Turn Off Ads?