Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yunel Escobar

Yunel Escobar

After spending two weeks on the DL, he is now batting .207 with 0 HRs. He is 27 years old with a career OPS of.786 (including .812 last year). Additionally, he has had his problems with Bobby Cox. He is arb eligible beginning this offseason, but he is not a FA until after the 2013 season.

Would now be a good time to buy low on him? What would it cost?

Maybe Maloney and Cozart/Janish would be enough? If so, would you do it?
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-19-2010 at 05:49 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Yunel Escobar

Yes, but Atlanta would not I would suspect.

Your post got changed from Lecure to Maloney as I posted.

It would depend on how Atlanta valued Maloney who likely is valued higher elsewhere than on Redszone.
    Last edited by PuffyPig; 05-19-2010 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Yes, but Atlanta would not I would suspect.

Your post got changed from Lecure to Maloney as I posted.

It would depend on how Atlanta valued Maloney who likely is valued higher elsewhere than on Redszone.
    Agreed. My guess is Atlanta would ask for Travis Wood, while the Reds could push Maloney. I think it would depend a lot more on how the Reds view Zack Cozart. If they think he's just a backup, this is a deal the Reds should consider. If they believe Cozart could OPS at least .750 while playing slick defense, then there is no reason for Escobar.
    Go BLUE!!!

I wouldn't hesitate on Wood either. I've wanted Yunel for a while, and am willing to pay a higher price.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Agreed. My guess is Atlanta would ask for Travis Wood, while the Reds could push Maloney. I think it would depend a lot more on how the Reds view Zack Cozart. If they think he's just a backup, this is a deal the Reds should consider. If they believe Cozart could OPS at least .750 while playing slick defense, then there is no reason for Escobar.
    I'd trade Travis Wood for Yunel Escobar every day and twice on Sunday.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Escobar has been an above average shortstop since being called up by the Braves. I don't get this "buy low" characterization.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Escobar has been an above average shortstop since being called up by the Braves. I don't get this "buy low" characterization.
    I'm almost positive there was another topic like this last year when he got off to a slow start, or had problems with Cox, the Braves aren't moving him.
    Go Gators!

It's not going to happen with Cabrera on the roster. It just isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    He not even close this year. Most likely because he's coming off an injury and it's early, but some may consider him to have been a flash in the pan, and that he won't get better. That's buying low in my book. Getting a guy when his stats are down, but are most likely to come back up.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

He was hurt earlier this year. Yes, this will probably end up being a down year for Escobar because 25% of the year is gone and he's got very poor numbers but I highly doubt the Braves are giving up on him. I did not realize he was already 27 though.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    He was hurt earlier this year. Yes, this will probably end up being a down year for Escobar because 25% of the year is gone and he's got very poor numbers but I highly doubt the Braves are giving up on him. I did not realize he was already 27 though.
    You make that sound old... LoL

Signed
    27 year old fan.

Braves aren't going to sale low unless its a situation like the Brew Crew had where they have someone they like more at AAA (Hardy and Escobar).
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    You make that sound old... LoL

Signed
    27 year old fan.

Braves aren't going to sale low unless its a situation like the Brew Crew had where they have someone they like more at AAA (Hardy and Escobar).
    I have reached the point where most of the wily veterans are my age or younger. It really is a strange feeling when you start viewing rookies as "kids."

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I have reached the point where most of the wily veterans are my age or younger. It really is a strange feeling when you start viewing rookies as "kids."
    I turn 27 this July. Now whenever I see my birth year on a player I think of them as old. Very odd feeling...

Not to steal the thread, but what about Chris Ianneta (spelling)? That is definitely a buy low option as the Rox have sent him to AAA (where he has absolutely raked).
    Last edited by thatcoolguy_22; 05-20-2010 at 07:29 AM.
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    He not even close this year. Most likely because he's coming off an injury and it's early, but some may consider him to have been a flash in the pan, and that he won't get better. That's buying low in my book. Getting a guy when his stats are down, but are most likely to come back up.
    Why is he being defined by 100 PAs?

Is it really realistic to expect a player's worth to ebb so volatilely?

Again he's been an above average shortstop since the Braves called him up. In other words, '07 thru '09 doesn't get washed away just cuz he's started slow in 2010. His worth isn't really any different now than it was last season.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I'd love to see them get Yunel. There was an incident last year that cause Yunel rumors to swirld. I doubt the Reds move off of Cabera this season, unless they fall out of the race and move him to someone in it, but I'd love to see them get him in the offseason. Of course I wouldn't mind seeing a Zach Cozart cameo at the end of the year should they fall out of the race.

Turn Off Ads?