Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heisey vs. Dickerson

Heisey vs. Dickerson

With the way Chris Heisey has swung the bat in his brief stay with the big club he's making me hope Dickerson needs about two years to get healthy. In just 17 ABs, Heisey has 2 HRs, a Double, a Triple, and is batting a smoking hot .353. And let's not forget that awesome throw from the LF corner that ended up nailing a guy at the plate to win the game.

How do you send a guy back down to the minors who's playing this well?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident PED Expert

Re: Heisey vs. Dickerson

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez View Post
    You don't. You cut Nix. Also cut Cairo and promote Castillo. There two birds one stone and I ain't even asking for a paycheck.

Agree with Cairo, but Castillo?

What about Sutton?

Vailaika is the guy I promote.

I'd bring up Sutton or Valaika instead of Cairo too. Sutton at least can play the outfield, and he's a switch-hitter. If you need a spot for Dickerson or Heisey, then just dump Nix onto the DL with a mysterious "back injury".

Sutton's hitting .241 for the Bats.

I prefer to never see Dickerson put on another Reds jersey. He has never impressed me as a ballplayer.

Walt needs to make a trade and let Louisville alone. Sweet needs more time with those kids. They are starting to come around, but no one down there is going to help much. Though if anyone could, it would be Vailaika.

For the role of 25th man, I think Castillo would be a great choice. As others have said, you could then use the backup catcher to pinch hit.

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

I could be wrong, but I believe Cairo is a good clubhouse guy. Do you want to mess with this chemistry?

Let the young guys have the everyday at bats in AAA and AA. I want the clubhouse guy sitting on the bench up here, not the developing young stars.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

Heisey and Dickerson both offer nice Speed-Power-Defense combinations but I would take Heisey because his L/R splits are not nearly as extreme as Dickerson and he does not strike out at the alarming rate that Dickerson does.

I like Dickerson but right now you got to go with Heisey. I too would like Valaika in Cairo's spot but if that happens hes not gunna get a lot of ABs. I support letting Valaika get a lot of ABs in AAA early in the season and maybe sticking with Cairo at the moment or going with Sutton.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Dickerson has a pretty good OBP compared to our other OFers. I wouldn't give up on him just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez View Post
    With the way Chris Heisey has swung the bat in his brief stay with the big club he's making me hope Dickerson needs about two years to get healthy. In just 17 ABs, Heisey has 2 HRs, a Double, a Triple, and is batting a smoking hot .353. And let's not forget that awesome throw from the LF corner that ended up nailing a guy at the plate to win the game.

Do you remember how Stubbs did when he first came up or how Dickerson did when he first came up? I like Heisey, but at this point, I would think we would be a little cautious about making decisions after 17 at bats.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

One thing is for sure - Dusty needs to get Heisey more starts than he has been getting before Dickerson gets back in June. We already know what Nix brings to the table. Chris is hitting better than Nix and Stubbs anyways, and playing good D, so give him a few more starts and get a better idea of where he stands. If I had to guess what the call is in June when Dickerson is healthy, I'd guess Heisey is getting sent down, but I hope I'm wrong.

I'll take Sutton at this particular moment to replace Cairo.

Quote Originally Posted by kfm View Post
    Do you remember how Stubbs did when he first came up or how Dickerson did when he first came up? I like Heisey, but at this point, I would think we would be a little cautious about making decisions after 17 at bats.
    Good point. 17 ABs is hardly an adequate sample size, but damn Heisey looks good so far! We all remember how Jay Bruce set the league on fire his first couple of weeks in the bigs, then everything went all to hell. Of course he's back on track now but it just goes to show you how volatile young players' performances can be. Maybe Chris Heisey is just a flash in the pan but he show's enormous promise and the Reds need to give him a very long look.

Turn Off Ads?