Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: 2010 Reds for real or another disappointment?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2

    2010 Reds for real or another disappointment?

    Hey guys,

    Interesting article I found today with a look at the 2010 Reds team. I hope they are for real, but I'm a little skeptical. What do you guys think?

    http://redbirdrants.com/2010/05/19/y...in-cincinnati/

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,063

    Re: 2010 Reds for real or another disappointment?

    I am gonna ride the wave full thinking they are for real...if they are for real then that's great, if not i'll be disappointed. But riding the wave will be much more fun than watching it pass by.

  4. #3
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: 2010 Reds for real or another disappointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by bigred14 View Post
    Hey guys,

    Interesting article I found today with a look at the 2010 Reds team. I hope they are for real, but I'm a little skeptical. What do you guys think?

    http://redbirdrants.com/2010/05/19/y...in-cincinnati/
    Not including tonight, the starting rotation has an e.r.a. of 3.11 in the last 20 games.

    Many people point to 2006 when the Reds were in first place in the first half and finished 80-82. This is a far better team. KGJ and Dunn were manning the OF. We have a far better defensive OF now and better defensive team overall. Only 15 errors so far which would come to 65 for the whole season. The 2006 team had 128 errors. The 2006 team had 2 starting pitchers start 35 games, another started 26 games, and then the #4 and #5 starters were filled using about 8 to 10 other fill ins. We have 5 legit starters this year. We're almost to June and the same 5 guys have successfully rotated all year. And barring injury, it should be the same thru September.

    Better defensive team. Young and good offensive team. Speed and power. Better pitching.

    I'm not predicting postseason. But I'm predicting a winning record.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  5. #4
    Member LeDoux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    569

    Re: 2010 Reds for real or another disappointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I am gonna ride the wave full thinking they are for real...if they are for real then that's great, if not i'll be disappointed. But riding the wave will be much more fun than watching it pass by.
    This is my approach as well. I am neither a prophet or son of a prophet. Watching with high hopes is what makes it fun.

  6. #5
    Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The University of Akron
    Posts
    1,110

    Re: 2010 Reds for real or another disappointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I am gonna ride the wave full thinking they are for real...if they are for real then that's great, if not i'll be disappointed. But riding the wave will be much more fun than watching it pass by.
    YEP NO NEED TO BE THE FAN IN THIS!!!!!!

    YouTube - Major League 2 - Fight
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Pataskala
    Posts
    253

    Re: 2010 Reds for real or another disappointment?

    ^^ lolol
    Whatcha gonna do, brother, when Brennemania runs wild on you!!

  8. #7
    Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Covington, Ky
    Posts
    337

    Re: 2010 Reds for real or another disappointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Not including tonight, the starting rotation has an e.r.a. of 3.11 in the last 20 games.

    Many people point to 2006 when the Reds were in first place in the first half and finished 80-82. This is a far better team. KGJ and Dunn were manning the OF. We have a far better defensive OF now and better defensive team overall. Only 15 errors so far which would come to 65 for the whole season. The 2006 team had 128 errors. The 2006 team had 2 starting pitchers start 35 games, another started 26 games, and then the #4 and #5 starters were filled using about 8 to 10 other fill ins. We have 5 legit starters this year. We're almost to June and the same 5 guys have successfully rotated all year. And barring injury, it should be the same thru September.

    Better defensive team. Young and good offensive team. Speed and power. Better pitching.

    I'm not predicting postseason. But I'm predicting a winning record.
    I had this debate with some of my friends last night. THis is a MUCH better team than the 06 team. That was a team that rode Jr and Dunn's back. They won games with smoke and mirrors. We win games with good pitching, aggressive baserunning, timely hitting and good to great defense. Ill take small ball everyday.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    869

    Re: 2010 Reds for real or another disappointment?

    Before yesterday: "We are for real! Division title here we come!"

    After yesterday: "Fire Dusty, trade the veterans, complete rebuild."

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: 2010 Reds for real or another disappointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    Before yesterday: "We are for real! Division title here we come!"

    After yesterday: "Fire Dusty, trade the veterans, complete rebuild."
    Just the first part of your "After Yesterday" statement will do.

  11. #10
    The Franchise sivman17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    736

    Re: 2010 Reds for real or another disappointment?

    After May 20, and final standings.

    2004: 22-18; 76-86
    2005: 15-26; 73-89
    2006: 25-18; 80-82
    2007: 17-27; 72-90
    2008: 21-25; 74-88
    2009: 21-18; 78-84
    2010: 23-18; ?????

    What's this tell us? Whatever we do before June means absolutely nothing. But, I can't believe that after starts such as '04, '06, and '09 and seeing how the season ended, I still believe in the team this year. I don't know what it is, maybe I'm foolish, but every year they I get my hopes up that this will be the year we finally make that push back into the playoffs.

    I've put the game yesterday behind me and am looking forward to this weekend series. But, I just hope the pitching can hold up and I think we can do alright this year.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wheelersburg, Ohio
    Posts
    911

    Re: 2010 Reds for real or another disappointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    This is my approach as well. I am neither a prophet or son of a prophet. Watching with high hopes is what makes it fun.
    I wish there were more like you in that regard.

    I have written in other posts and told other people that I really think the Reds are a year away from something special, but I still believe they will have a plus .500 record and if that happens then they will be in it and play some meaningful games in September.

  13. #12
    Member LeDoux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    569

    Re: 2010 Reds for real or another disappointment?

    Quote Originally Posted by markymark69 View Post
    I wish there were more like you in that regard.

    I have written in other posts and told other people that I really think the Reds are a year away from something special, but I still believe they will have a plus .500 record and if that happens then they will be in it and play some meaningful games in September.
    An amazing thing happens when you take a fan's approach instead of proclaiming expertise - you can relax and enjoy instead of constantly worrying about creating a baseball sage self-image. You loose the ability to make a 100 bold predictions and then put the one you were correct about in your sig, but that seems a small price to pay.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,318

    Re: 2010 Reds for real or another disappointment?

    For real.

    When you're this deep in Starting Pitching and you have a premier closer, and a premier setup guy, you're for real if you could score any semblance of runs.

    The fact that they are 14-0 when allowing their opponents 3 runs or less and are 16-3 when the REDS score 5 runs or more is more than enough evidence to show that these guys are for real.

    Make your playoff plans. Book your hotel rooms. It's a lock that these REDS are going to make the playoffs in 2010.


Turn Off Ads?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25