Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who will win American Idol season 9?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lee

18 66.67%
  • Crystal

9 33.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee or Crystal

Lee or Crystal

So American Idol is down to the season finale coming on Tuesday. As expected, the two favorites - Lee and Crystal - both made it into the final show.

Who do you expect to win?

At this point, I would be rather surprised if it's not Lee. But then again, I expected Adam Lambert, David Archuleta and Kat McPhee back in season 5. So what do I know? At least I did call Jordin Sparks as the winner way early in the top 24 before she was getting much pub, so maybe a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and again.

I do expect big things from Lee. I think Crystal will be a crossover indie artist. Aaron will probably have some success singing country. Siobhan, Mike or Casey will probably at least land record deals. But I do think Lee is far and away the most cut out for top-40 success.

Looking forward to this final. I think it's the best they've had, though I didn't think the top-10 was as strong as past seasons.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lee or Crystal

Based on the performances from the other night and how Simon set up Lee with a great judges pick song I would say the American Idol crown will go to Lee. With Casey gone the ladies will be pulling for him. The only way it doesn't happen is if the final night turns into a Lee love fest like last season with Adam Lambert.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Based on the performances from the other night and how Simon set up Lee with a great judges pick song I would say the American Idol crown will go to Lee. With Casey gone the ladies will be pulling for him. The only way it doesn't happen is if the final night turns into a Lee love fest like last season with Adam Lambert.
    I could see that. I definitely think it's clear the producers/judges have been trying to set Lee up as the winner for a few weeks. I agree with Casey gone, the logic would be many women (girls) will vote for Lee.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

AI Fan?

please remove 'pimp' from your name immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    AI Fan?

please remove 'pimp' from your name immediately.
    I'm just cultured, LOL

I actually have a question for you...

I myself do not watch AI but I listen to HS and he talks about AI quite often, more specifically the Judges... he thinks Ellen is HAAARIBLE on AI... Do you agree?
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

AI is a pop star show. I've thought for quite a while that Lee has a pop star voice born for the radio. His voice plugs into the AI formula. Crystal will be a good indie with maybe a crossover hit or 2.

I have been surprised at how much emotion Crystal has shown.

Pay attention to the open sky

I myself do not watch AI but I listen to HS and he talks about AI quite often, more specifically the Judges... he thinks Ellen is HAAARIBLE on AI... Do you agree?
    I personally think she has exceeded expectations. She's been very funny to listen to, which of course is not surprising as she used to be a comedian, but she has made many very insightful comments. I'm sure the producers and other judges have worked hard on educating her more about the industry, but I actually think she's been a good addition.

Kara has been by far the worst judge on AI this season. Ellen after a shaky start has eased into a nice zone.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

As a fellow HS fan, you already know that Howard invented AI

Ellen really brings nothing to the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    As a fellow HS fan, you already know that Howard invented AI

Howard invented inventing things.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    My sentiments as well. I think some of the guest judges during auditions were better, especially Neil Patrick Harris, who could easily take over for Simon. And there is Kara, who has become tiresome. Paula Abdul could be incomprehensible at times, but at least she didn't constantly repeat herself. "I was really looking for you to have a 'moment,'" or "We've been waiting for someone to have a 'moment' and you just did."

Crystal or Lee? I'll go with Crystal. Lee may sound more like something you hear on the radio because there are already dozens of singers on the radio who sound just like him, only better.

The whole "Hallelujah" set up was ridiculous. Simon picks Lee's song and has him sing "Hallelujah," which of course Simon now owns the rights to, so he gets paid every time someone performs the song. AI producers give Lee the pimp slot and have him backed with an orchestra, a choir, and angelic lighting. On top of that this is a song that Tim Urban knocked out of the park earlier in the season, and lesser AI talents have gotten great responses for singing it in prior seasons. So I'm going to guess that this is a great song that can make just about anyone with a shred of vocal talent can sound good.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    My sentiments as well. I think some of the guest judges during auditions were better, especially Neil Patrick Harris, who could easily take over for Simon. And there is Kara, who has become tiresome. Paula Abdul could be incomprehensible at times, but at least she didn't constantly repeat herself. "I was really looking for you to have a 'moment,'" or "We've been waiting for someone to have a 'moment' and you just did."
    Then you'd have two judges without a background in the music industry. Not sure that would be a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    The whole "Hallelujah" set up was ridiculous. Simon picks Lee's song and has him sing "Hallelujah," which of course Simon now owns the rights to, so he gets paid every time someone performs the song. AI producers give Lee the pimp slot and have him backed with an orchestra, a choir, and angelic lighting. On top of that this is a song that Tim Urban knocked out of the park earlier in the season, and lesser AI talents have gotten great responses for singing it in prior seasons. So I'm going to guess that this is a great song that can make just about anyone with a shred of vocal talent can sound good.
    I think that's a rumor that isn't true. He just likes the song.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Kara has been by far the worst judge on AI this season. Ellen after a shaky start has eased into a nice zone.
    I couldn't disagree more, if one likes Simon (and I do as well as most) as a judge they would almost assuredly have to like Kara (for her judging). She may express herself a bit differently (which can at times be a smidge annoying) but Simon tends to agree with her on most everything and he's usually spot on. Ellen has yet to say one insightful thing pertaining to singing and/or artistry. She has one thing that she can comment on with some degree of insight and that is just overall stage performance and really who couldn't do that. When Simon leaves it's gonna go way downhill, especially if they keep Ellen. BTW the reason she was so bad early on was because she was set up to comment first and then the rest of the panel often disagreed with her. Since she started following Randy she's had him to work off of.

BTW I like both artists and I picked Crystal to win a long time ago (before I ever seen Lee) but Lee is definitely as deserving if not moreso, in fact I'd say yeah he's definitely the favorite at this point. I say Lee probably wins it.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Then you'd have two judges without a background in the music industry. Not sure that would be a good idea.

I think that's a rumor that isn't true. He just likes the song.
    Yep.

This Entertainment Weekly article states that Sony/ATV, not Simon Cowell, owns the rights to the song.

And while I agree with the above poster that said it's a song that is great when done properly, and that the judges do want to see Lee succeed, I disagree that it's an easy song to sing. It's a high-risk, high-reward song.

I did like Tim Urban's rendition, and I recall a very good rendition done by Jason Castro two years ago. However, it's still a very hard song to sing and you really have to be able to stay on tune in your lower register and sing the melody well to pull that song off.

Turn Off Ads?