Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Update on Chapman

Update on Chapman

From John Fay:

Aroldis Chapman may not even miss a start with the blister than forced him out of last night’s game.

Walt Jocketty spoke Louisville trainer Tomas Vera a few minutes ago.

“Tomas said it’s a blister over a callus,” Jocketty said. “They’ll know more Saturday when he throws his bullpen if he can make his next start. But it’s nothing serious.”
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...pman-update-6/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Update on Chapman

Also from Fay, on Chapman's last start when he was roughed up:

He was coming off a start in which he allowed eight runs over 3 1/3 innings in a 14-3 loss in Rochester..

That start did not concern the Reds.

“It was one of those deals where they had to be there at 4:30 to catch a flight after a night game,” Jocketty said. “Mario Soto said (Chapman) didn’t get any sleep the night before.”
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...pman-update-6/

From the Reds website:

CINCINNATI -- Top lefty prospect Aroldis Chapman will test the blister on his middle finger when he throws on the side Tuesday. Chapman's Monday start for Triple-A Louisville was scratched because of the injury.

"They'll have a better indication to see if he could pitch Thursday," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said.
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

From John Fay's blog:

From the Louisville Bats media relations office:

Louisville LHP Aroldis Chapman (4-2, 3.98), who missed his last start with a blister on his left middle finger, will make the start on Thursday, May 27 versus the Gwinnett Braves. First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m.
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...tart-thursday/

Chapman starts tomorrow, so he should also start Tuesday in Columbus, right? Who starts the 2nd game of the DH Monday?

Article from USA Today from three days ago:

"He's been wild," Jocketty says. "His fastball (command) is fine. He needs better command of his other pitches."

According to Bats catcher Wilkin Castillo, Chapman's pitches cut and sink. Manager Rick Sweet says: "It's nice to throw 98, but the effectiveness is that so many of his pitches move both ways. As a hitter, that's devastating."
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...man-reds_N.htm

I posted this in tonight's minor league game thread:

MLB Network showed some highlights of Chapman's start tonight. Wow. I just can't get over how filthy his stuff is. He's got one of the best arsenals I have ever seen. When he gains consistent command of his secondary pitches, he's going to be borderline unhittable. The sky is the ceiling for him, IMO. I'm so glad the Reds are being patient with him, and I hope they continue to do so, but at the same time, I can't wait to watch him in Cincinnati.

Some quotes on Chapman's start:

"I think this is the best start I have had so far," Chapman said through an interpreter. "I think what changed most tonight was my level of concentration. I was able to concentrate more tonight than in the past."
    Chapman settled in and struck out five over the first three innings. He primarily used his overpowering fastball early but effectively mixed in offspeed pitches in the low-80s in the final two innings.
    "Overall he pitched a good ballgame," Bats manager Rick Sweet said. "Overall he had good velocity, especially at the beginning, and he hasn't done that before -- he's gradually worked into it. He had a couple more days between starts and was better-rested.

"I was more worried about command, and he showed good command of all three pitches (fastball, changeup, curve). He's much more than a one-pitch pitcher, and we saw that tonight."
    http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...ssible+to+beat

I think Udaldo Jimenez is a decent ceiling for this guy. In terms of patience, we're talking 2-3 years before he can start to handle the bigs, IMO. Yet, I do think he'll get by just fine in a year as a 5th starter.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I missed the 4th inning for Chapman last night with dinner. But from what I saw last night, I liked Chapman's performance last night better than anything I had seen from him since spring training. He was able to hit his sports better for the most part than what I had seen from him any other time this season.

Mario Soto told Jocketty Aroldis Chapman threw 103 mph last night. Jocketty says it won't be long before we see Chapman here.

http://twitter.com/tpach12

Man her twitter has more information than anything Sheldon, Ctrent, and Fay have.

Gonna have to bookmark that one.

I want Chapman up in Cincy's bullpen after 1-2 more starts.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Man her twitter has more information than anything Sheldon, Ctrent, and Fay have.

aint that the truth. I looked and it when obm posted the link about volquez in the other forum and looked through it and was like damn where did all this info come from

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post

No kidding. She has a ton of great info on her page. Thankfully one of my followers retweeted one of her posts and that's how I came across her page.

Turn Off Ads?