Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds Game Unplugged: Monday, May 24, 2010

Reds Game Unplugged: Monday, May 24, 2010

Celebrating the 75th anniversary of the first major league night game on May 24, 1935

CINCINNATI — Seventy-five years ago, on May 24, 1935, Crosley Field hosted the first night game in the history of Major League Baseball.

Night baseball was immediately a huge success in Cincinnati. The Reds averaged over 18,000 fans per game at seven night games played during the 1935 season—four times the average of its day games.

On Monday, May 24 when the Reds take on the Pittsburgh Pirates at 7:10 pm, Great American Ball Park will go back in time to 1935 with many exciting celebrations honoring the 75th anniversary of the first night game:

A Journey Back To 1935
    From the pregame ceremonies through the top of the seventh inning, GABP will go “unplugged” to simulate baseball in 1935. The scoreboard will have an old-time look similar to what fans saw at Crosley Field, and live organ music will fill the air. There will be no videos or modern graphics on the videoboards. The Pete Wagner Dixieland Band will play in the ballpark prior to the game.

“Attention Fans…”
    Just as Crosley Field public-address announcers worked from field level years ago, Great American Ball Park PA man Joe Zerhusen will make his pregame announcements from the field. Look for Joe wearing a vintage outfit near the Reds dugout.

Attendees Then And Now
    With the help of the Cincinnati Enquirer’s John Erardi, the Reds Hall of Fame has invited several fans who attended the first night game in 1935 to be honored on the field during pregame ceremonies.

Reds Mascot Race
    For the first time ever, mascots Mr. Red, Gapper, Mr. Redlegs and Rosie Red will compete in a “live” Reds Race on the field. Make sure you are in your seat at the end of the third inning to see this classic mascot race.

1935 Ticket Prices
    Reds on Radio flagship station 700WLW will be offering a limited number of $1 tickets for the May 24th game. Listen to WLW for promotion details or visit www.700wlw.com.

“Get Your Peanuts…”
    In a throwback to 1935 concession prices, fans visiting the UDF Reds Market will be able to purchase bags of peanuts for just 10 cents, benefiting the Reds Community Fund. Also, be on the lookout for several ushers dressed in old-time uniforms like the ones fans used to see at Crosley Field.

Ceremonial Lighting Of The Ballpark
    During the seventh-inning stretch, a ceremony will be held from the Cincinnati Bell Riverboat Deck to commemorate the moment President Franklin D. Roosevelt flipped the switch to turn on the lights at Crosley Field. An original lamp from Crosley Field will be turned on, causing the ballpark to come alive with an explosion of light on all video boards.

The Sparkling “C”
    Rozzi Famous Fireworks will showcase a sparkling “C” on the right field porch. The sparkling “C” was featured at the first night game and could be seen frequently at Crosley Field. 2010 also marks the 75th anniversary of the Rozzi family providing fireworks for the Reds. Arthur Rozzi and his teenage sons Joseph and Paul began shooting fireworks after Reds games during the 1935 season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Game Unplugged: Monday, May 24, 2010

Wish I could drive out there to attend. Sounds great.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

That sounds awesome. I wish I could attend that game.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

That sounds really great. The Reds promotion department that work on these special events is really doing a good job from this and the Civil Rights Game and the special things they did for the first night game this year. They are really working to do extra things to get more people to the park.

Will they wear 1935 style uniforms?

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

This sounds really cool. thanks for posting WoY

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

I saw details on this online the other day, and I'm going to have to try to get down to the park for this one. Really cool stuff.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I hadn't heard anything about this -- I'm definitely going to try and be at this game.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I hadn't heard anything about this -- I'm definitely going to try and be at this game.
    For some reason (mostly because I'm awesome and I made the Raisor Playmates picture) I get emails from the Reds Marketing department (Thanks guys!)

That sounds like a great promotion. I wish I could be there.

I attended the 40th anniversary of the first night game in 1975. They didn't do anything like this. The only thing I remember is a fireworks show after the game which was really good,IIRC. I can remember my little nephew getting scared of the loud noise they were making and started crying. My dad was also with me and on the way back to my brothers house he talked about how those loud noises from the fireworks reminded of how loud things got when the Germans would start shelling their positions in WWII. He told a lot of good stories about the war on the way back home that night. I wish I could remember them all now.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Well done Reds!
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

Wow, this sounds really cool...I would love to make the trek down to be a part of it...but my wife would probably kill me if I tried to cram another game in this season...

Are we gonna wear throwbacks?
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Are we gonna wear throwbacks?
    I will probally wear something similar to what I have on now.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I'm planning on heading down tonight so this should be very interesting to see. The only way tonight could be better is if the Reds also offered a 10-cent beer night!
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Turn Off Ads?