Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dear Dusty

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dear Dusty

You do not have to bring in a guy with control problems and the most hittable mid 90s fastball this side of Todd Coffey into the game with the bases loaded and the tying run at the plate just because he's your "closer".

Arthur Rhodes is the best pitcher in your bullpen. In the future, should such a situation again arise, you might want to leave him in for more than one batter.

Thank you for your contributions to a devastating loss,

The Cincinnati Reds fans

Pastor, dad and husband Mr Larkin's Avatar

Re: Dear Dusty

We are paying Corderro to be our closer. Dusty brought him in to close and a guy off the bench hits a game winning homer. This is not all on Dusty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Larkin View Post
    We are paying Corderro to be our closer. Dusty brought him in to close and a guy off the bench hits a game winning homer. This is not all on Dusty.
    The ball should have been caught. This is the major leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Larkin View Post
    We are indeed paying Cordero to close games.

We are also paying Dusty to realize who's going well and who's going poorly, and make decisions accordingly.

Rhodes has been lights out, and Cordero has been very poor of late, and he brought him into the worst possible situation. A manager has to realize that and do what's best for the team, no matter who's paid to do what or who he wants to give a little confidence boost.

By the way, if Dusty wanted to go lefty/lefty with Rhodes and Heyward, wasn't that left handed pinch hitter in the on deck circle before Cordero came in? I could be wrong on that, but I think he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye fly View Post
    We are indeed paying Cordero to close games.

We are also paying Dusty to realize who's going well and who's going poorly, and make decisions accordingly.

Rhodes has been lights out, and Cordero has been very poor of late, and he brought him into the worst possible situation. A manager has to realize that and do what's best for the team, no matter who's paid to do what or who he wants to give a little confidence boost.
    We are also paying Paul Janish to be a late-inning defensive replacement, but Dusty seemed to ignore that. This is all on one Dusty Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    We are also paying Paul Janish to be a late-inning defensive replacement, but Dusty seemed to ignore that. This is all on one Dusty Baker.
    Agreed... and I actually have had little to no complaints or gripes with Dusty lately, even with today's funky lineup.

Today was just disgusting though.

Bobby Cox takes out Chipper Jones and Brian McCann? The Braves were conceding defeat, and someone forgot to tell Dusty, or wake him up from his nap.

He brings in Owings to PH only cause he's from Atlanta. He had Rolen, Janish, and Heisey on the bench who have all been hitting great.

He leaves Lincoln in wayyy too long. Presumably so he could pick up a 3-inning save.

He brings in Masset who has to face the same guy that got a base hit off him last night and who eventually scored on Heyward's hit.

He brings in Rhodes, which was smart, but then takes him out after he threw a great 3-2 pitch to Heyward.

He leaves Rolen and Janish on the bench instead of putting them in to play defense.

DUSTY. I HATE YOU. I HATE YOU SO MUCH.

the ball was at the top of the wall. Yeah it should have been caught by Heisey (a much more athletic player than nix with a bad back) but Heisey was on the pine.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by winks View Post
    the ball was at the top of the wall. Yeah it should have been caught by Heisey (a much more athletic player than nix with a bad back) but Heisey was on the pine.
    Absolutely. When the game is slipping away, what does Dusty do? Nothing.

Moves that needed to be made:

1. Janish or Rolen to 3B.
    2. If Rolen to 3B, then Janish to SS.
    3. Heisey replace Nix for defense.
    4. Lincoln should have been removed after he gave up 2 hits. Everyone knows that. When guy implodes.......he implodes. Why doesn't Dusty know this?
    5. Should never have brought in Nick Masset and his near 7.00 e.r.a. to relieve Lincoln. Terrible.
    6. Rhodes obviously had it and Cordero has been struggling big time lately. So Dusty lets Rhodes pitch to one batter then brings in the struggling guy. Stupid.

I was on the verge of buying some tickets and going down to see this team, but I just lost all confidence in Dusty........and in Mr. Castellini and Jocketty for putting up with this crap. Just plain sick of it.

I can watch stupidity from my couch instead of wasting my money.

Schnickelfritz

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    5. Should never have brought in Nick Masset and his near 7.00 e.r.a. to relieve Lincoln. Terrible.
    It was risky but the best way to solve it is to get him back out there. Unfortunately, he was the victim of Miguel Cairo's fielding.

Baker should've done a double switch when he brought Rhodes in, putting Rolen at third or Heisey in left. Then again, Baker should have left Rhodes in. The guy had just gotten out one of the hotter players in the Braves lineup. But Baker gambled and lost on that one. If Cordero was able to save the game, we'd be singing a slightly different tune.

What's really, really got me angry are the four errors on the day. Inexcusable. You wanna know why the Reds lost? It was because of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Absolutely. When the game is slipping away, what does Dusty do? Nothing.

Moves that needed to be made:

1. Janish or Rolen to 3B.
    2. If Rolen to 3B, then Janish to SS.
    3. Heisey replace Nix for defense.
    4. Lincoln should have been removed after he gave up 2 hits. Everyone knows that. When guy implodes.......he implodes. Why doesn't Dusty know this?
    6. Rhodes obviously had it and Cordero has been struggling big time lately. So Dusty lets Rhodes pitch to one batter then brings in the struggling guy. Stupid.

I was on the verge of buying some tickets and going down to see this team, but I just lost all confidence in Dusty........and in Mr. Castellini and Jocketty for putting up with this crap. Just plain sick of it.

I can watch stupidity from my couch instead of wasting my money.
    Suit yourself, I just saw 3 great games last weekend against STL, saw great baseball played all around, and the Reds take over first place. Best Reds games I have been to in my life.

I don't care how much money we are paying Cordero. Rhodes just struck out the best hitter on the team and the guy that won the game last night. Why take him out? He has been the best reliever on the team by a long shot. Let him finish the game.

Quote Originally Posted by sivman17 View Post
    I don't care how much money we are paying Cordero. Rhodes just struck out the best hitter on the team and the guy that won the game last night. Why take him out? He has been the best reliever on the team by a long shot. Let him finish the game.
    Rhodes should have at least had the opportunity to fail. Which I personally think Rhodes would have shut it down with us winning by one run anyway. Maybe not, but you at least give him a chance to sink or swim. The decision to remove your hottest pitcher and your only bullpen pitcher who's done the job all year, aside from one game that I can recall, to bring in one who's been extremely shaky, "closer" or not, just makes me sick.

Dear Dusty,

Go play in traffic.

Turn Off Ads?