Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Cairo

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    352

    Cairo

    Get Cairo out out of the team, i hate him, stupid baker plays him over Jansh

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Gary Redus Ruled
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Albion NY
    Posts
    460

    Re: Cairo

    Theres no good reason why Miguel Cairo made this team....no reason..NONE. Cant hit,cant field,cant run and he's old. WTF Walt? Really? Miguel Freakin Cairo? For Gods sake get this guy the hell out of here..he's worthless:thumbdown
    Hoping for another Reds October

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    585

    Re: Cairo

    Walt likes former Cardinals like Dusty likes fast center fielders who can't hit.

    Obviously Rolen has worked out. Cairo has not.

  5. #4
    * Bat Votto Second * goreds2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    OH H - EYE OH
    Posts
    2,669

    Re: Cairo

    I do admit that Cairo has to go. Hitting is a crap shoot with a vetern. I was hoping he could at least field the ball and be reliable.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

    Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    119

    Re: Cairo

    I'm going to say it: He's worse than Juan Castro.

  7. #6
    The Franchise sivman17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    736

    Re: Cairo

    I'd send down Cairo tomorrow and call up Valaika. He is raking down in Louisville. There's really no reason for Cairo to be on this team.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,063

    Re: Cairo

    Not that I like Cairo at all...but w/o his basehit we never score 8 in the 2nd,

  9. #8
    Gary Redus Ruled
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Albion NY
    Posts
    460

    Re: Cairo

    Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Not that I like Cairo at all...but w/o his basehit we never score 8 in the 2nd,
    Even a blind squirrel comes across an acorn once in a while. Get Cairo outta here. Were actually contending..gimme a better bench guy than this old scrub for the love of god.
    Hoping for another Reds October

  10. #9
    Resident PED Expert nemesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Centerville, Ohio
    Posts
    1,401

    Re: Cairo

    Quote Originally Posted by brachial pleXUs View Post
    I'm going to say it: He's worse than Juan Castro.
    Juan Castro fields that ball cleanly and turns a DP...

    Juan's OPS .578

    Cairo's OPS .418 after his Career day at the plate today.

    Janish's OPS .836
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

    Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: Cairo

    Quote Originally Posted by Redus View Post
    Even a blind squirrel comes across an acorn once in a while. Get Cairo outta here. Were actually contending..gimme a better bench guy than this old scrub for the love of god.
    Exactly, you can't leave pieces like this around because dusty uses them.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    869

    Re: Cairo

    but he has "veteran intangibles."

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wheelersburg, Ohio
    Posts
    910

    Re: Cairo

    I thought he would do a little better than he has done. Agreed, it's time to move on to somebody else. The bench is still the one glaring weakness on this team. Outside of Nix, there is no pop, except when Gomes doesn't play and everybody else is a defensive replacement or pinch-runner type.

  14. #13
    Resident PED Expert nemesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Centerville, Ohio
    Posts
    1,401

    Re: Cairo

    Quote Originally Posted by markymark69 View Post
    I thought he would do a little better than he has done. Agreed, it's time to move on to somebody else. The bench is still the one glaring weakness on this team. Outside of Nix, there is no pop, except when Gomes doesn't play and everybody else is a defensive replacement or pinch-runner type.
    I disagree. Heisey is showing some pop. I like a bench that starts with Nix and Heisey. Both have pop in the bats, both have the ability to play Avg to Plus Defense in all three spots. Both have plus arms. Heisey has speed. Hanigan or Hernandez are both High OBP guys of the bench and Janish has a Plus Plus arm and a Plus glove at all 3 IF positions and has shown an improved eye at the dish with occasional doubles power.

    Our bench isn't all that bad. It's the constant misuse of the worst player on the bench in Cairo.

    Cairo in his career has OBP over .314 just 3 times in his 14 years in the league. 7 times he has been at .300 or below. So it has to be for his glove right? For his Career he is a huge negative defender in the OF and just above water in the IF. This year he is at a negative in the 2 positions he has played as a fill in 1B and of course 3B. Here is the thing that'll make you sick. He has earned over 9 million in his career for this "production"...

    Janish on the other hand has plus plus rating in about the same sample size on defense.

    So he has no bat, he doesn't have pitch patience, he has no glove, he has no speed.

    Yet he has 3 starts at 3B and 5 overall. He has been a defensive replacement 7 times.

    Janish? 6 times he started and this shocked me, only 8 times a defensive replacement.

    So the guy with a career negative UZR is held in the same regard as someone who has a plus UZR at all 3 IF skill positions defensively?

    There is a huge hole at the end of the bench, a hole that alot teams have. But our hole is a glaring weakness that is misused and because of that, it burns into us as fans so much deeper. If he was used as a 25th man like he is, we wouldn't give two shakes. But the faults that Dusty has in his Managing style (Bullpen misuse, Saving his big guns on the bench for later vs with the bases loaded in the 6th and down by 2) put Cairo in a no win situation with us.

    Walt has to be baseball savvy enough to notice this. Dusty has won this team alot of games with some very bold moves, but his faith in himself and his decisions and his love of the paper stat (Saves, RBI's, SB's, In Scoring Postion Percentage, veteran savvyness) are archaic and hurt this team time and time again...
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

    Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wheelersburg, Ohio
    Posts
    910

    Re: Cairo

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    I disagree. Heisey is showing some pop. I like a bench that starts with Nix and Heisey. Both have pop in the bats, both have the ability to play Avg to Plus Defense in all three spots. Both have plus arms. Heisey has speed. Hanigan or Hernandez are both High OBP guys of the bench and Janish has a Plus Plus arm and a Plus glove at all 3 IF positions and has shown an improved eye at the dish with occasional doubles power.

    Our bench isn't all that bad. It's the constant misuse of the worst player on the bench in Cairo.

    Cairo in his career has OBP over .314 just 3 times in his 14 years in the league. 7 times he has been at .300 or below. So it has to be for his glove right? For his Career he is a huge negative defender in the OF and just above water in the IF. This year he is at a negative in the 2 positions he has played as a fill in 1B and of course 3B. Here is the thing that'll make you sick. He has earned over 9 million in his career for this "production"...

    Janish on the other hand has plus plus rating in about the same sample size on defense.

    So he has no bat, he doesn't have pitch patience, he has no glove, he has no speed.

    Yet he has 3 starts at 3B and 5 overall. He has been a defensive replacement 7 times.

    Janish? 6 times he started and this shocked me, only 8 times a defensive replacement.

    So the guy with a career negative UZR is held in the same regard as someone who has a plus UZR at all 3 IF skill positions defensively?

    There is a huge hole at the end of the bench, a hole that alot teams have. But our hole is a glaring weakness that is misused and because of that, it burns into us as fans so much deeper. If he was used as a 25th man like he is, we wouldn't give two shakes. But the faults that Dusty has in his Managing style (Bullpen misuse, Saving his big guns on the bench for later vs with the bases loaded in the 6th and down by 2) put Cairo in a no win situation with us.

    Walt has to be baseball savvy enough to notice this. Dusty has won this team alot of games with some very bold moves, but his faith in himself and his decisions and his love of the paper stat (Saves, RBI's, SB's, In Scoring Postion Percentage, veteran savvyness) are archaic and hurt this team time and time again...
    I forgot about Heisey for a moment. Agreed, I like him. Janish is a defensive replacement at best and I consider Hanigan/Hernandez basically as one because they play every other day and you wouldn't use them as a pinch-hitter in the sixth or seventh inning unless you were going to bring in them in a game.

    And Owings, at the end of the day is still a pitcher. He can hit a little bit, but in a clutch situation if he's all you got - I don't know that you have much.

  16. #15
    Resident PED Expert nemesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Centerville, Ohio
    Posts
    1,401

    Re: Cairo

    Quote Originally Posted by markymark69 View Post
    I forgot about Heisey for a moment. Agreed, I like him. Janish is a defensive replacement at best and I consider Hanigan/Hernandez basically as one because they play every other day and you wouldn't use them as a pinch-hitter in the sixth or seventh inning unless you were going to bring in them in a game.

    And Owings, at the end of the day is still a pitcher. He can hit a little bit, but in a clutch situation if he's all you got - I don't know that you have much.
    I just put in another thread that having someone like Castillo even with his weak bat adds to the bench for his other intangible other than pinch hitting.

    Dont sell Janish short. He has shown improvement thru Spring Training and his very limited playing time this year at the plate. He had a horrible BABIP last year of .241 if that normalized to around .320 he'd be a .250 .325 .350 guy. With his glove that's above acceptable.

    Oh I have to agree on the Owings thing for sure. He has been all kinds of misused this year in both roles. Him and Janish musta lit a bag o pooh on Dusty's managerial doorstep together or something.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

    Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25