Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds to face Strasburg in MLB debut?

Reds to face Strasburg in MLB debut?

Jason Stark seems to think so.

The Nationals decided months ago that the only sensible way to manage the hysteria that will surround Strasburg's debut was to make sure his first start was in Washington. But they had only five home games scheduled -- all this week -- in a span of 24 games between May 18 and June 3.

So why is the June 4 opener of their next homestand such a top Stub Hub attraction? It sure isn't because those red-hot Cincinnati Reds will be in town.
    http://www.jlcauvin.com/wordpress/wp...2009/04/lb.bmp
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds to face Strasburg in MLB debut?

Good catch Chip.

Personally, I think this great pub for the Reds. If they can hold it together, (several games above .500 IMO) that date could be a HUGE day for both clubs. Strasburg is coming in with the hype unlike most before him, and if the Reds could hang a L on him, it could propel some serious cred to them moving forward.

I could be wrong, but I believe that falls on Leake's day to pitch. There's an off day right before it, so he might be pitching the next day, and Harang going that day, depending on how they play it.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I could be wrong, but I believe that falls on Leake's day to pitch. There's an off day right before it, so he might be pitching the next day, and Harang going that day, depending on how they play it.
    Love to see Leake pitch that game. A true battle of Minor League theory, the polish of AAA against the risk of big league readiness.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    Love to see Leake pitch that game. A true battle of Minor League theory, the polish of AAA against the risk of big league readiness.
    Considering Strasburg will have only two months of pitching in the minors, I really don't think that's a stark contrast lol

I agree it would be cool to see those two, however.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Considering Strasburg will have only two months of pitching in the minors, I really don't think that's a stark contrast lol

I agree it would be cool to see those two, however.
    Agreed Brutus.

However, they were contrasted many times in March and April about their handling.

Actually, what would be really cool is if Chapman came up and went head to head with him that day.

I predicted this in the minor league thread about Strasburg. DC is really looking forward to his arrival and I would be very surprised if it is not a sellout.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    Actually, what would be really cool is if Chapman came up and went head to head with him that day.
    Not a chance. The Reds will have Chapman's debut at home to take advantage of a bump up in attendance his debut will bring.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Haunted by walks

Having seen him in Syracuse, Strasburg is a tough customer. I know there's a method for translating minor league stats, but how does a 0.00 ERA in AAA translate?

The Reds will crush him
    Most Vottomatic Player

Cruisin' for trouble

I have tickets for that game, 8 rows behind the Reds dugout anticipating Strasburg will be pitching. Would love to see his debut spoiled.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Having seen him in Syracuse, Strasburg is a tough customer. I know there's a method for translating minor league stats, but how does a 0.00 ERA in AAA translate?
    Using my formula for Statistical Theory Using Pitching for Intelligent Discussion, or S.T.U.P.I.D., I'd say about 5.57 ERA.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Using my formula for Statistical Theory Using Pitching for Intelligent Discussion, or S.T.U.P.I.D., I'd say about 5.57 ERA.
    I think you forgot to carry a 1 somewhere.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I think you forgot to carry a 1 somewhere.
    Thanks for catching that!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?