Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Transactions

Transactions

Byron Wiley released. Efrain Contreras goes to Lynchburg. Cameron Satterwhite from extended spring training to Dayton.

Also, Chase Weems from extended to Dayton.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Re: Transactions

Why would they release Wiley?

.910 career minor league OPS coming into this year.

Struggled so far at Lynchburg (13 games), but was doing decent earlier this year in Dayton (.787 OPS, 4 HR, 9 RBI in 19 G).

That's stunning about Wiley. I know he's limited defensively (no arm at all, apparently), but he was one of the top OPS guys in the system. And he was recently promoted. Didn't see that coming.

Meanwhile, Contreras has been fairly invisible at Dayton (.468 OPS in 79 PA).

Resident PED Expert

Wow oh wow.

The organization player releases this year since the beginning of Spring Training have been very very different from years past. Players like Beal, Wiley, Sosa, Brown, Kuo, Snowden, Bour, Parker, Geronimo and probably a bunch I forgot would still been with this team in years past and been considered prospects. Has there been a change in the philosophy of the player development and identification in the organization?

Goya? Doug? 72?

I'm sure the Reds like the offense that Wiley can provide, but if his skills are so limited that it's certain he'll never help the team, I can understand cutting him as not to use more resources on him. By releasing him, they can give a guy like Justin Reed--someone with a lot more physical skill--more focus and playing time.

Congrats to Mr. Satterwhite former Bearcat and Moeller Crusader!

I don't understand releasing Wiley.

Any hint of off-field matters that might be a factor in Wiley's release?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Any hint of off-field matters that might be a factor in Wiley's release?
    That is the first thing that jumped to my mind. The guy played well last year. 5 weeks of poor baseball doesn't often get a guy cut in the low minors who has a longer track record of success.

Yeah, it was the first thing that jumped to my mind, too. The more I think about it, the more I think it had to do with something off-field related. And just as a reminder, Baseball America very recently said that Byron Wiley was a better prospect than Devin Mesoraco.

Resident PED Expert

If it was something PED related I wouldn't see the team cutting him. Team is sticking by Volquez. Stuck by Mallett the first time and Carroll as well. As well as that group in the DSL a couple years ago. If it was Off the field related is probably will come to light soon than later...

No off-field matters. Attitude, hustle, work ethic, unwillingness to work on areas that needed improvement were areas that they were not satisfied with for a player that was very limited defensively. Pat Kelly, old-school manager, not one to put up with it.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    No off-field matters. Attitude, hustle, work ethic, unwillingness to work on areas that needed improvement were areas that they were not satisfied with for a player that was very limited defensively. Pat Kelly, old-school manager, not one to put up with it.
    I noticed Justin Reed is off the Roster in Lynchberg as well. What happened with him?

Reed's showing now on the Billings roster. Maybe he's hurt or has just been moved briefly to accomodate a roster change in Lynchburg.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    I noticed Justin Reed is off the Roster in Lynchberg as well. What happened with him?
    Basically just a phantom DL to make some brief roster room.

Turn Off Ads?