Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about this Reds vs Indians "rivalry?"

What do you think about this Reds vs Indians "rivalry?"

I don't think that playing the Indians holds any special significance for us Reds fans, nor do I imagine they care too much. This "rivalry" seemed like a big deal a decade ago, and maybe part of this is due to the fact that both teams have struggled mightily in recent years, but I feel like this has run it's course.

Furthermore, no Reds fan I know hates the tribe, and vice versa. In fact, if I HAD to pick a favorite American League team (even though I hate the AL), I'd probably go with them. *shrugs*

How long will/should this continue?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What do you think about this Reds vs Indians "rivalry?"

I agree, It's sort of ran it's course. Although if both teams pick it up I could see it thriving again.

I was in Cleveland tonight. Did not get any negative comments thrown my way, except when I tried standing in the 9th inning. Stupid Cleveland fans in the 6th row behind first base don't even want to stand in the 9th when they are down by 2... could not quite understand that.... But i agree, there is really no real rivalry. The teams don't hate each other.

But I do like that we play each other each year. My roommate in college is from Cleveland and is an Indians fan. I now am going to school near Cleveland so I am thankful that we play them here.

GO REDS.

What percentage of tonight's crowd was Reds fans, would you say?

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

My girlfriend is from Cleveland, we have some good arguments 4 times a year. Reds vs. Indians (twice), and Bengals vs. Browns (twice).

But the Indians are probably my favorite AL team (if I have to choose.)
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

It was exciting years ago when the Indians were still perennial contenders and the Reds were managing to compete into the interleague weeks every few years. It hasn't had that same appeal for years now. If the Reds are still in the race when the Indians come to town in a month the place will be packed, but mostly for other reasons than this "rivalry."

i honestly can't stand the Indians and hate them as much as i hate the Pirates. I live in northeast ohio and they had the biggest bandwagon fanbase i have ever seen in the 90's and early 00's when they were good and all those years they would bash on my Reds saying how insignificant we were when really they were just jealous of our historic franchise and they have not won a world series since like 1940.

I like the fact we get to play one of the worst teams in the AL six times as opposed to playing Anahiem and Texas

23,028 were at Progressive Field on Friday Night. That is the smallest crowd ever to witness a Reds/Indians game. Sad.

Last year the Friday Night game @ Cleveland drew 28,114.

Entering Friday's game, Cleveland is DEAD last in average attendance this season at 14,382/game. Yes -- they are well behind Florida, Oakland, and even Pittsburgh.

The Reds are averaging 21,368 so far this year. That's good for 23rd in MLB.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

Quote Originally Posted by jhc2010 View Post
    23,028 were at Progressive Field on Friday Night. That is the smallest crowd ever to witness a Reds/Indians game. Sad.

Last year the Friday Night game @ Cleveland drew 28,114.

Entering Friday's game, Cleveland is DEAD last in average attendance this season at 14,382/game. Yes -- they are well behind Florida, Oakland, and even Pittsburgh.

The Reds are averaging 21,368 so far this year. That's good for 23rd in MLB.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance
    I can't get over how much this franchise has fallen in such a short period of time. It was only three short years ago that this team had a series lead over the Yankees in the ALCS. I can't help but feel sorry for the city. I root for the Indians when they don't play the Reds. I mean I'd much rather see them win than the Yankees or someone else. They had some obnoxious fans in the 90's but who doesn't? It makes me sad to see the Jac with so many empty seats when it use to be rockin on a nightly basis. I didn't think I'd see the day the reds would on average outdraw them by almost 8,000 per game

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sivman17 View Post
    I was in Cleveland tonight. Did not get any negative comments thrown my way, except when I tried standing in the 9th inning. Stupid Cleveland fans in the 6th row behind first base don't even want to stand in the 9th when they are down by 2... could not quite understand that.... But i agree, there is really no real rivalry. The teams don't hate each other.

But I do like that we play each other each year. My roommate in college is from Cleveland and is an Indians fan. I now am going to school near Cleveland so I am thankful that we play them here.

GO REDS.
    yep, I am going to school near Cleveland also, so I am particularly happy they play the Indians somewhat often.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

I hate the Tribe, and I know Indian fans who hate the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by Orodle View Post
    I hate the Tribe, and I know Indian fans who hate the Reds
    YEP!

I think each MLB team should have a main-stay club they play each year in the inter-league (Reds have Indians for instance). Then there is some type of drawing for a second team the teams play. Each league takes a turn each year on the drawing. So, each team plays two opposite league clubs each year and that is it.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

Interleague play sucks, regardless the teams.

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    What percentage of tonight's crowd was Reds fans, would you say?
    There really weren't as many Reds fans as I would've thought. In my section there were a couple up a few rows in front of me, and one right behind me. Then walking around the stadium you would see some, but not a whole lot.

Turn Off Ads?