Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roy Oswalt

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Roy Oswalt

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...gued-by-roy-o/

I can't see us shelling out this kind of cash but I don't want to see him end up at St. Louis. Talk about making this rotation awesome if this trade were to happen though.

Re: Roy Oswalt

Oswalt being a Red would be awesome, but we know it won't happen. Makes way to much money. And for that reason I don't see him going to the Cards either. There's been talk that the Cards are going to have a hard time resigning Pujols because of how much money Holliday is getting paid. Add another $16M to the books and the Cards in worse shape to resign Albert.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

I agree that his salary is way to high, plus I don't want to give any of our young players to an inner division team. there are too many good players that will be up for grabs later on to shot ourselves in the foot now. Should try to make a trade closer to the deadline.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

The Cards are going to become the Reds of the early 2000's. They're going to tie all their money up in Holliday and Pujols and not have any money to put a good team around them. I can't wait to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    The Cards are going to become the Reds of the early 2000's. They're going to tie all their money up in Holliday and Pujols and not have any money to put a good team around them. I can't wait to see that.
    exactly. I said the same thing a few days ago. I think they will fall off in the nexy couple years.
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    PLEASE GOD!!!!!!!! PLEASE I'll quit smoking, drinking, cheating on my wife! Oh wait I don't have a wife. Well you get what I'm trying to say.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

If they let Pujols walk, they will anger their fans. But their payroll is steadily creeping higher. If they pay Albert close to $30M, they will have $17M wrapped up in Holliday and $15M wrapped up in Carpenter for next season. That's $62M wrapped up in 3 players. Carpenter's contract ends after next year. Are they going to let him walk?

And they owe Kyle Lohse $12M in '11 and '12 still.

They owe Brad Penny $7.5M this season but then he's a FA.
    Ludwick is up for arbitration next season after making $5.5M this season.
    They do have Wainwright tied up through '12 for around $6.7M per year.

If they sign Pujols to $30M per year, their payroll will exceed $100M in the coming years, unless they unload some guys. Plus they got 6 to 7 guys each of the next couple of seasons who are arbitration eligible.

They'll probably sign Carpenter, Pujols, and obviously keep paying Holliday. And then fill in the rest of the gaps with cheap FA's and prospects. I see their batting lineup and pitching taking a hit.

Resident PED Expert

I'd much rather see a Oswalt dealt away to a American League team. Maybe Texas? Keep him nice and far away from the Reds for the rest of his Career.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    I'd much rather see a Oswalt dealt away to a American League team. Maybe Texas? Keep him nice and far away from the Reds for the rest of his Career.
    Exactly!

Either acquire Roy Oswalt for Harang, Stubbs, and 1 from the group of --Ondrusek, Francisco, Cozart, or Maloney...

If not i pray that he ends up in the american league with either the rangers(after we play them), twins, or red sox

Some other interesting names to look out for are Cliff Lee, Brian Bannister, Stephen Drew, Chris Young the CF, Jeff Francis, Hanley Ramirez, Ervin Santana, Adam Dunn(jk), Mike Pelfrey, Jose Reyes, Luke Scott, Kevin Millwood, Jeremy Guthrie, Miguel Tejada, and Jarrod Saltalamacchia

Quote Originally Posted by vottofan4life View Post
    Either acquire Roy Oswalt for Harang, Stubbs, and 1 from the group of --Ondrusek, Francisco, Cozart, or Maloney...

If not i pray that he ends up in the american league with either the rangers(after we play them), twins, or red sox

Some other interesting names to look out for are Cliff Lee, Brian Bannister, Stephen Drew, Chris Young the CF, Jeff Francis, Hanley Ramirez, Ervin Santana, Adam Dunn(jk), Mike Pelfrey, Jose Reyes, Luke Scott, Kevin Millwood, Jeremy Guthrie, Miguel Tejada, and Jarrod Saltalamacchia
    Lee, Hanley, Santana, or Reyes would be nice
    Proud To Be An American But Even Prouder To Be A Reds Fan!

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by vottofan4life View Post

Oswalt won't be dealt to anyone within the Central Division. Only minor transactions ever happen interdivisionaly . Even those are done with a begrudging feel. I can't remember the last time a superstar was dealt within his same division during a season... Mets, Phillies, Atlanta, LA Dodgers, San Fran maybe in the NL. Toronto, Detroit, Minnesota, Texas in the AL. Not alot of teamsw with the budget to take in his $16 million.

My guess Millwood will be the hot commodity at the deadline. Pitching really well in Baltimore for a horrible team.

You can get Oswalt for three players....

1.) Wood
    2.) Alonso
    3.) PTBNL

This is the best deal the Stros would see..

You tell Aaron he is going to the pen for 2 months until mid august when you shut Leake down when he hits 160 innings.

This move would give the Reds the Central this year and for the next two years while Oswalt is a Red.

Salaries..

Next year Bronson and Aaron are gone.... You spend this year and save next year.

Oswalt $16 million..

Aaron 12 million
    Bronson ????

Next Year
    Chapman and Volquez are competing for the 5th spot....

"How do you like having a former all star pitcher competing for a 5th spot in the rotation, never thought I would see it in my lifetime."

1.) Oswalt
    2.) Cueto
    3.) Baily
    4.) Leake
    5.) Volquez

That is the best rotation in the National league and it would be ours for 3 years....
    Last edited by bellhead; 05-23-2010 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    You can get Oswalt for three players....

1.) Wood
    2.) Alonso
    3.) PTBNL

This is the best deal the Stros would see..

You tell Aaron he is going to the pen for 2 months until mid august when you shut Leake down when he hits 160 innings.

This move would give the Reds the Central this year and for the next two years while Oswalt is a Red.

Salaries..

Next year Bronson and Aaron are gone.... You spend this year and save next year.

Oswalt $16 million..

Aaron 12 million
    Bronson ????

Next Year
    Chapman and Volquez are competing for the 5th spot....

"How do you like having a former all star pitcher competing for a 5th spot in the rotation, never thought I would see it in my lifetime."

1.) Oswalt
    2.) Cueto
    3.) Baily
    4.) Leake
    5.) Volquez

That is the best rotation in the National league and it would be ours for 3 years....
    I agree and disagree.

Agree about what it would take to get him. A former #1 draft pick (Alonso) and the Reds minor league pitcher of the year last year (Wood) is a good place to start. Brewers got Sabathia for LaPorte (former #1 draft pick) and basically 3 marginal minor leaguers, a couple of whom had small unsuccessful tastes of the big leagues. And Oswalt's salary is a concern for most teams. It would be partially a salary dump for the Astros.

Disagree about the rotation because I'm not counting my chickens on Volquez. He has a long road back and could never be the same. But he could also pull an amazing Chris Carpenter recovery too and be even better. But not going to count on him at this point.

I think this is where possibly signing Arroyo comes in. Management will need to see if Volquez has healed going into the offseason.

It does offer a chance to save some money though.

Bailey
    Cueto
    Volquez
    Leake
    Oswalt

All come cheap but Oswalt. But you save about $24-$25M after this season when Harang and Arroyo's contracts are bought out for $2M each. So I guess that actually means we save more like $20M. It would pay for Oswalt easily. And Cordero's contract is up after next season.

Interesting decisions coming on our starting rotation.

I agree with you...

It leaves Volquez and Chapman to fight it out next year for the #5...If Volquez comes back its all good if he doesn't then Chapman is there in the wings.

Gomez is putting it together...Alonso is a 1st baseman first an outfielder 2nd. With the Stros he gets a call up by the middle of the year.

Wood is the odd man out here, Leake took his spot in the rotation. Chapman already has a 5 million a year contract so he gets his shot, also he has a #1 ceiling where Wood is at his best a #2 in the rotation.

Oswalt gives the Reds the Central for 3 years.

This won't happen though because it is good fit for both teams...
    Last edited by bellhead; 05-23-2010 at 11:14 AM.

Turn Off Ads?