Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unrecognized Reds prospects

Unrecognized Reds prospects

CF David Sappelt Don't know why this guy doesn't get some mention. He has been solid throughout his short career. Now he is hitting .300 at Carolina. he also has yet to make an error. Does anyone know the story on him? I know he is short 5' 9".

Carlos Mendez is hitting .300 again, this time at Lynchburg. I know he has been considered a possible utility infielder in the future, but the batting stats are real and steady. the guy can hit.

Also, what is the story on the former Bearcat, now Dragon Cameroon Satterwhite. Is he any good? His stat sheets says he is a hometown boy.

What happened to Trey Manz? He tore up the rookie leagues last year. Yet I can't find him in the Reds system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Unrecognized Reds prospects

Although lacking a bit in power, Sappelt has tools. No doubt about that. He has put up some good numbers, has plenty of speed, and by all accounts is a terrific outfielder. But those who have seen him play describe him as kind of a loose cannon. A lot of confidence, but not a real heady player. Of course, that's the kind of thing that experience can improve.

Mendez came on last year as a high-average hitter. Don't know much about his defense, but he appears to be a corner infielder with very modest power, which isn't a great combination unless you're Wade Boggs. But he's definitely a guy to track.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Another solid looking prospect that doesn't seem to get much notice is Cody Puckett.

I don't know if I'd put him on any top lists but Chase Ware has done a great job eating up innings in long relief for Dayton. Of course, he could blow up at any moment.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post

Mendez came on last year as a high-average hitter. Don't know much about his defense, but he appears to be a corner infielder with very modest power, which isn't a great combination unless you're Wade Boggs. But he's definitely a guy to track.
    Todd Benzinger said last season that Mendez reminded him of a young Wade Boggs.

Just something to think about.

Jordan Hotchkiss (Lynchburg) is another who has pitched very well in relief this year. Toward the end of last season, he got a chance to start at Dayton and excelled. Not sure why he hasn't been afforded the same opportunity this year . . . The Reds seem to give a lot of their relievers about five or six starts, then return them to the bullpen regardless of the results. Maybe they just like to stretch their arms out and get them some innings.

I'm impressed by the numbers for Nick Christiani. Began year at Dayton 3.86 ERA/7 apps/14 innings/12 hits/2 W's/12 K's/1.80 GO to AO; then moved to Lynchburg and has pitched better: .77ERA/7 apps/11.2/10/0W's/7K's/2.38 GO/AO. Overall thats' 19K's to 2W's and ground ball tendencies nicely suited for GABP.

Kris Negron, the guy we got for Agon.

.250/.365/.375

13 for 15 in SB

23 BB to 33 K

7th in walks, 8th in triples, 3rd in runs scored in the southern league.

Negron has been a decent surprise, I think. Going into the season, I saw Carolina as the organization's only hole at shortstop. Above, there's Cozart. Below, there's Rojas (Lynchburg), Gregorius (Dayton) and the various rookie-leaguers--Hamilton, Arias and Valor. But Negron has held his own--at least offensively. Not sure how good his defense is, though. Muddie, do you know? Or anyone?

Saw the Negron kid last year in the Carolina league. He really can run.

Negron was the guy I was going to mention as well. He's really growing on me.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    I don't know if I'd put him on any top lists but Chase Ware has done a great job eating up innings in long relief for Dayton. Of course, he could blow up at any moment.
    Good timing, Goya. Ware delivered three more hitless innings tonight, with 4 K and 0 walks. His ERA is now at 1.78.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

geez. this farm is loaded with talent huh.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    But Negron has held his own--at least offensively. Not sure how good his defense is, though. Muddie, do you know? Or anyone?
    Negron is pretty solid with the glove. He's commited five errors to date. He commited two errors in one game, both for throwing. The other three were fielding errors.

Anybody heard of Mesoroco? He's pretty good....

Seriously, one I think is climbing, although not quite obscurely, is Josh Fellhauer.

.298 .344 .456 .800 in A+ right now, with 15 doubles and 4 HR while playing CF. Not the fastest, toolsiest guy I'd guess, but he's done nothing but hit. I can see him cracking the top 15 if he keeps it up and makes it to AA by the end of the year.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Turn Off Ads?