Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Regional cuisine

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Regional cuisine

I get around quite a bit and as those who have met me can probably attest to, I'm a person who likes to eat. For those who have been around the country, what are your favorite regional foods that you have to get whenever you're in a particular part of the country? I'm pretty much a steak and seafood person, so those are my main things. When I'm in New England I always find the little clam shacks that are all over the place. I'm a real sucker for whole fried clams, not the strips but the whole bellies. If I get to the deep south it's catfish and shrimp and grouper whenever I get into Florida. I always bring home bratwurst and cheese from Wisconsin and eat my fill of Walleye up there and in Minnesota. Texas has more good steakhouses than you can shake a stick at. I'm fond of a chain down there called Texas Land & Cattle. I haven't done the west coast as much, but there is a seafood chain with locations in Portland and Vancouver that I went to a couple times when I was up there. I think it was called McGrath's or something like that.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Regional cuisine

I haven't been out west much, but if I'm in Seattle, I make sure to have a plate full of sauteed oysters.

As far as my mid Atlantic second home goes, I'll pick:

Baltimore: Crab Cakes
    Charleston, SC: Shrimp and Grits, Benne Wafers
    Wilmington, NC: Carolina Bucket (soft shell crab, potatoes, sausage, clams, oysters, green beans, steamed in a galvanized bucket), Bogue Sound Chowder
    Mid-North Carolina to Western NC: Pulled Pork BBQ (vinegar based)
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I love the regional variations of mexican cooking in the southwest. Happiness is a warm enchilada, especially prepared with a heaping helping of onions and peppers the way they make cheese enchiladas in New Mexico.

As a non-native, I also have a real appreciation for Cincinnati cuisine. Cincinnati chili in particular is incredible. I went from never having had it to loving the stuff instantly.

For mexican food I prefer California over the southwest, as a non meat eater I find that the coast give me the best of fresh vegtables, but the real key is the fusion of asian influences into menus, at least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    For mexican food I prefer California over the southwest, as a non meat eater I find that the coast give me the best of fresh vegtables, but the real key is the fusion of asian influences into menus, at least for me.
    Yes, I love California mexican cuisine as well. I pretty much love all mexican cuisine but the fresh ingredients in California are unbeatable.

As for California food, I'm a big fan of San Francisco. So many great things to enjoy there. My first trip to China Town was a real eye opener and set me on a life long journey with asian cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Yes, I love California mexican cuisine as well. I pretty much love all mexican cuisine but the fresh ingredients in California are unbeatable.

As for California food, I'm a big fan of San Francisco. So many great things to enjoy there. My first trip to China Town was a real eye opener and set me on a life long journey with asian cooking.
    One of my last trips I saw a guy with an immense goiter, that will open your eyes too...

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    One of my last trips I saw a guy with an immense goiter, that will open your eyes too...

KC - BBQ. I prefer brisket, no sauce. I'm also a sucker for the high-end stuff at Fiorella's Jack's Stack as opposed to the Wonder Bread at Arthur Bryant's.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I haven't been to California since I was a kid, but I love Tex-Mex. So many little authentic Mexican restaurants between Amarillo and El Paso.

Also strangely enough, a lot of Asian restaurants here in Amarillo, with the opposite of what woy stated, a little mexican flavor thrown in.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    KC - BBQ. I prefer brisket, no sauce. I'm also a sucker for the high-end stuff at Fiorella's Jack's Stack as opposed to the Wonder Bread at Arthur Bryant's.
    I'm with you on the brisket. yum.

I'm going to Austin on October and some brisket I'll be having for sure.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Some of the best food I've ever had was the pan-asian cuisine in hawaii.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    San Diego, LA and SF Mexican are all different. The best is SD although it may be the least like the food eaten in Mexico.

Along Interstate-1, I love to stop at Italian places and go for the different noodles and tomato sauces.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I don't know anything about BBQ out your way, Johnny. What is a brisket (I thought that was beef)? Is that more common than ribs with the red sauce?

And does BBQ in KC differ from what you would get in, say, Texas?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I don't know anything about BBQ out your way, Johnny. What is a brisket (I thought that was beef)? Is that more common than ribs with the red sauce?

And does BBQ in KC differ from what you would get in, say, Texas?
    god yes. Huge difference in KC, Memphis and TX bbq. all good, just different. Plus, Texas being the size that it is, BBQ is different in the panhandle from what is served in Dallas and other parts.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?