Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Monday May 24, 2010 Minor League Updates

Re: Monday May 24, 2010 Minor League Updates

Buck's arm is probably shot.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Buck's arm is probably shot.
    Stuff wise, he still has it. Still throwing in the low 90's, good slider.

70 baserunners in 40 innings with a .339 BA against does not indicate he's got good stuff.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well that is good to hear. I thought for sure he was throwin in the mid 80's the way he has been getting hit. Maybe he just needs a little more time.. Also, I am assuming he was lifted last night because of ineffectiveness, but he only threw 30 pitches, so can anyone confirm that he is not injured?
    "I hate SF."

-Mat Latos

70 baserunners in 40 innings with a .339 BA against does not indicate he's got good stuff.
    Doesn't indicate anything about his stuff whatsoever. Says something perhaps about his control, and his pitching knowledge.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Doesn't indicate anything about his stuff whatsoever. Says something perhaps about his control, and his pitching knowledge.
    If this was some teenager they just signed out of the Dominican, you might be right. But Buck is a known quantity, at least to some of us. An advanced guy who knows how to pitch, while the aforementioned .339 BA against indicates that the problem is not walks.

I stand by what I said -- his stuff can't be good right now.

For me, even if a guy is known to be an advanced pitcher, if he has extensive time away from the game, he deserves significant time to get his stuff back together. How much time is the question.

For me, even if a guy is known to be an advanced pitcher, if he has extensive time away from the game, he deserves significant time to get his stuff back together. How much time is the question.
    I'm not saying he should be relegated to the pen or released. Just that I think some kind of arm surgery is a likely outcome here, if he wants to get back to being good. In 2009 they thought he was all the way back from his elbow problems/surgery, and he ended up with both elbow and shoulder problems during the season, if I recall correctly. No surgery in the offseason that I'm aware of. Now in 2010 he's having a real hard time getting outs. This guy was a real good pitcher when he was healthy, so I can't imagine his arm is fit at the moment.

I'm not saying he should be relegated to the pen or released. Just that I think some kind of arm surgery is a likely outcome here, if he wants to get back to being good. In 2009 they thought he was all the way back from his elbow problems/surgery, and he ended up with both elbow and shoulder problems during the season, if I recall correctly. No surgery in the offseason that I'm aware of. Now in 2010 he's having a real hard time getting outs. This guy was a real good pitcher when he was healthy, so I can't imagine his arm is fit at the moment.
    Liriano in 2009 was brutal. Sometimes it takes a while for it to come back. Its an extreme example true, and I am certainly not comparing them, just sayin' is all.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Turn Off Ads?