Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New York Times article on Mike Leake

Re: New York Times article on Mike Leake

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    I have never heard of movement pointing toward durability issues.

Guys with some of the straightest fastballs in the game have wound up having Tommy John Surgery while a guy like Greg Maddux, who lived on his movement, never had any arm problems.
    It just seems so unnatural that his fastball moves the way it does. 'Unnatural' movement is generally what results in pitchers having injury problems.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The way Baker's using him, Leake'll probably end up with a career-ending shoulder injury that will ensure Leake retiring as a Red.

But seriously, even if Dusty Baker handles Leake perfectly, the way his pitches move have me thinking durability must become an issue at some point this year.
    Dusty has totally been cautious with Leake. I don't know if he's been instructed that way, but I think Leake has only pitched over 100 once? I could be wrong about that. No dangerous pitch counts. I'd agree that the kid needs a break and they need to limit the total innings at some point...but they've done him quite well at this point.

There doesn't seem to be any red flags in his mechanics IMO.

I wasn't completely serious with the Dusty comments (although there has been a time or two when he pushed Leake too hard imo).

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Are they selling any Leake gear? I imagine it'd be a hot commodity right about now.
    Nope. I went down and saw him pitch against the Cards a couple weeks ago and asked at one of the stadium gift shops. I wanted a Leake T-shirt bad.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

On Saturday, I saw someone wearing a Leake t-shirt at the game, but I don't know if it was legit.

Turn Off Ads?