Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Muscle cramps in legs while asleep

Re: Muscle cramps in legs while asleep

This is from the link above.

Most of the time, true night leg cramps occur for no known reason, and they're harmless. However, in rare situations, night leg cramps can be associated with an underlying disorder — such as peripheral artery disease or diabetes.
    They may be harmless but they are very painful. I have had these off and on pretty much since about age 25. I have jogged on and off since high school and they seem to occur more often, oddly enough, when I am not jogging regularly. The opposite would seem to make more sense to me. I just grit my teeth and massage my calf until they go away.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I used to get these occasionally while running Track and Cross Country in HS, usually a dehydration issue. I came across a tip in a runner's magazine once. It suggested taking your thumb and index finger of one hand and pinching you upper lip until the cramp subsided. It usually worked though I have no idea if it was an accupuncture type response or if I was just distracting myself until the muscle relaxed.
    As weird as this sounds, it definitely works. It is a pressure point thing I have heard.

Got them during and after games, and while sleeping, when I played football, dehydration issue (see Chad Johnson's frequent trips to the locker room for an IV during games). For me, always in the calves.

Yes, potassium and fluids are the best preventitive measure. Definitely eat a bannana or a sports drink before bed (btw, gatorade or powerade before going to sleep after a night of drinking is the best hangover cure there is).

You'll notice trainers push back the foot of the athlete towards their leg to stretch the muscle out until it subsides.

You may not be drinking enough water throughout the day as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    See the Mayo Clinic guide to night leg cramps.

Never had them, myself. Good luck.
    Read this because depending on your age and/or health it could be signs of of more serious issues. I know rubbing a charley horse is fine, rubbing a blood clot i've heard not so good. Just FYI
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?