Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should every team be represented

Should every team be represented

Well all star voting is underway and right now I think Votto and Leake can be possible choices. But my question is, does the rule requiring each team to be represented really need to be enforced?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should every team be represented

I think of that rule as highly as I think of the winner of the All-Star game getting home field advantage for their respective league, and as highly as I think of Bud Selig.

Yes because most of the time there is an all star worthy guy on every major league team.

Without the 'one player per team' rule...we end up with a retarded system like the NFL Pro Bowl ... aka, 8 players from all the most popular teams...

Yes! Every team should be represented, now more than ever.

With national exposure heavily favoring the same few teams (Yankees Red Sox, etc) as well as the fact that the payroll disparity has created a situation where small teams cannot keep their stars and become defacto farm systems for big payroll clubs, the All-Star game would boil down every year to the Yankees/Red Sox vs the Mets/Cubs/Dodgers.

I know the all-star game has lost some of its pizazz but I still love it. From being a completely outraged 8 year old watching all the Reds get replaced by Phillies in 1976 game (played in Philly) to pulling for the one lowly Red player who made the team in the lean years, I have always enjoyed it and cheered for the Reds to do well.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I think the players should vote. Larger markets have the corner on voting their players in.

Votto deserves it this year, but won't sniff it.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Every team should be represented, but they way they manage the game, trying to get everyone some playing time -- that I don't like.

34 players. 16 teams in the NL. I'm pretty sure every team has at least one player that is worthy of making it. Of course, they probably are taking the spot of someone who is more deserving, but MLB has expanded the roster in each of the past two years. So perhaps one or two of those players that would previously have been left off b/c of every team being represented are now getting their chance.

I don't have a big problem with it.

No.

But, I also think fans should only be able to vote in 1 player, and if it happens to be the someone who's already in, then so be it. Fans shouldn't get to vote the way it is now. I haven't watched an All-Star game in 20 years. They're just so stupid now because of the fan voting.

Yes, because often, there wouldn't be a Reds representative, even if there is a deserving one. Just about everywhere has gotten more press than Cincinnati, the past few years.

Send me to the game and I'll represent for everybody,Boi!

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

Either
    A) you let owners/teams/press/ vote and you don't need everyone represented.

or
    B) you let fans vote and you make everyone represented.

Professionals know who deserves to play in it, therefore the rule is not needed, the Fans though...different story.

What I have a problem with also is teams saying "Vote For Reds" or something along the lines, it just seems like it is promoting dishonestly.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

All-Star Game. Yawn. At one point in time I could see the attraction. Way back when there was one game on television a week and fans hadn't seen a number of these people play. But the proliferation of games that can be seen on television as well as highlights shown nightly have taken away from that. Is it really a thrill to see a Jeter or an Arod bat when you have seen them umpteen times already? To me the answer is no.
    Last edited by texasdave; 05-26-2010 at 12:28 AM.

The voting system needs to be changed, so that player and manager votes are considered and fan voting is given less significance.
    I'd also be in favor of adding 2 more position players and 2 more pitchers. I'm not sure how long its been since they expanded all star rosters, but baseball has expanded 4 times in the past 21 years and the influx of international players has the talent level at an all time high, so you can argue its warranted.
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

I think the votes should be split in thirds. Fans count for 1/3, Media counts for 1/3, and Players/Coaches count for 1/3.

I don't like how the fans are the sole choosers for the starters. That's unfair to players like Votto.

Turn Off Ads?