Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Best historical site you've ever visited....

Re: Best historical site you've ever visited....

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    And of course, given the nature of this sight, the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown has to be on the list.
    Absolutely. Went for the first time almost exactly a year ago, and it was, of course, fantastic.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Arlington National Cemetary always gets to me.

Shiloh is my favorite Civil War site to visit. Go on the anniversary of the battle itself. Go early in the morning, right at daybreak, when the battle began. It's eerie.

Visited Dachau and Aushwitz. Not enjoyable, but necessary.

But #1 on my list is the beaches at Normandy and the cemetary there.
    Went to Dachau last summer and it was pretty moving, I thought it may have been more powerful but it wasn't. I want to see Aushwitz because I think it will be very powerful due to it being the most notorious concentration camp.

Normandy is amazing. When I went it was in August I believe. It was an overcast, spitting rain type of day. The waves were crashing onto the shore. I couldn't even imagine what happened there some 60 years ago. The American cemetery tops both Arlington National and Pearl Harbor if you ask me. Looking at the cliffs that the Ranges had to scale was amazing as well.

The only difficult part is the Normandy area is pretty nondescript. Its a small train terminal and doesn't offer many tours at all. It is a very small town so the English isn't very good there.

Arlington was spectacular, also found Ford's theatre to be very special.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Gettysburg for me. It just a great place to visit knowing what happened and the great sacrifice so many made. The only place that could top it for me would be Normandy. I hope to visit there someday.
    Others I have visited are:
    Antietam and walking down bloody lane.
    Arlington Cemetery and watching the changing of the guard. Also seeing the enternal flame at JFK's gravesite.
    Viet Nam Memorial
    Monticello, Jefferson's Home
    WW II Memorial
    Fords Theatre and seeing Lincolns Box. They also have a nice museum with a lot of artifacts. The house across the street where Lincoln was taken after being shot is open to the public and worthwhile to visit.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Arlington was spectacular, also found Ford's theatre to be very special.
    Just my luck, when I went to D.C. back in the early 90's we weren't able to tour the sites because the Government was in a shut down because of a conflict between Clinton and Gingerich, so I was unable to see the inside of Fords Theater, the Lincoln Monument etc.

The one site I saw that was kinda cool was Red Square when I traveled to Russia a few years back . We were unable to see Lenins tomb which is located on Red Square because it was the one day outta the week it was closed. I have no luck with sight seeing.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

The question to me is wheter a "memorial" is actually a historical site? Yes, it's nice to remember people who sacifice and heros, but is it really in the same league as actually being where history was actually made?

ie: Vietnam Memorial = Memorial
    Gettysburg = Historical Site.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Just my luck, when I went to D.C. back in the early 90's we weren't able to tour the sites because the Government was in a shut down because of a conflict between Clinton and Gingerich, so I was unable to see the inside of Fords Theater, the Lincoln Monument etc.
    Almost for got about that. I was working for the Feds then and got a free week of vacation.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post

The bar where Jobim wrote "The Girl from Ipanema," Rio
    awesome.
    Last edited by Allegro; 05-27-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    The question to me is wheter a "memorial" is actually a historical site? Yes, it's nice to remember people who sacifice and heros, but is it really in the same league as actually being where history was actually made?

ie: Vietnam Memorial = Memorial
    Gettysburg = Historical Site.

I think that's a good point. I know a couple people mentioned Cooperstown and while the HOF is great and it's in a beautiful area, nothing of any historical significance really ever happened there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think that's a good point. I know a couple people mentioned Cooperstown and while the HOF is great and it's in a beautiful area, nothing of any historical significance really ever happened there.
    James Fenimore Cooper lived there, otherwise you are correct

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    Halocaust Museum, or Old Yankee Stadium
    Interesting typo.

Been to a lot of places here and in Europe, but have to say my FBI tour of the White House (before they cut them off post 9/11) was completely overwhelming for some reason. That place has to have a ton of ghosts.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Normandy is amazing. When I went it was in August I believe. It was an overcast, spitting rain type of day. The waves were crashing onto the shore. I couldn't even imagine what happened there some 60 years ago. The American cemetery tops both Arlington National and Pearl Harbor if you ask me. Looking at the cliffs that the Ranges had to scale was amazing as well.

The only difficult part is the Normandy area is pretty nondescript. Its a small train terminal and doesn't offer many tours at all. It is a very small town so the English isn't very good there.
    The Normandy beaches themselves are very nondescript. Whilst Omaha where is very moving with the American National Cemetery in the background - just to see the rows - Gold and Juno still have some of the artillery and fortifications which show just how foreboding the task was too.

The other amazing sight is the Great Wall - so old yet so imposing.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    The one site I saw that was kinda cool was Red Square when I traveled to Russia a few years back . We were unable to see Lenins tomb which is located on Red Square because it was the one day outta the week it was closed. I have no luck with sight seeing.
    Red Square is pretty excellent, especially for a Soviet-ophile like me. St. Petersburg also has some excellent sites.

As to where I want to visit:
    #1 Pyramids -- And there's not a close second.

Holy Land
    Sites in Rome
    Sites in Greece
    Machu Piccu
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Red Square is pretty excellent, especially for a Soviet-ophile like me. St. Petersburg also has some excellent sites.
    The funny thing about Red Square was there was a drug store right there in the square maybe 200 feet from Lenins tomb. It was just weird being at a place of such historic significance with a drug store located there. It would kinda be like seeing a McDonalds on the Beaches of Normandy.

St Petersburg was neat. We saw the Hermitage but had like a world wind tour of the entire place in like 4 hours. We were told you would need a good 2 days to get a quality tour of the museum but we simply didn't have the time.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?