Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Best historical site you've ever visited....

Re: Best historical site you've ever visited....

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    The funny thing about Red Square was there was a drug store right there in the square maybe 200 feet from Lenins tomb. It was just weird being at a place of such historic significance with a drug store located there. It would kinda be like seeing a McDonalds on the Beaches of Normandy.

St Petersburg was neat. We saw the Hermitage but had like a world wind tour of the entire place in like 4 hours. We were told you would need a good 2 days to get a quality tour of the museum but we simply didn't have the time.
    Yeah. The Hermitage is enormous. We did a half day there as well. It's awesome as both a historical site and art museum. Pretty incredible stuff there.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Yeah. The Hermitage is enormous. We did a half day there as well. It's awesome as both a historical site and art museum. Pretty incredible stuff there.
    I second the Hermitage. One of the finest places on earth to see art IMO
    Witty signature.

I have not read all this thread, but I just took a 2 day trip and thought my thoughts probably fit on this thread instead of a new one.

I visited several sites in Central/Western Kentucky and had a great time.

My main trip was to Perryville Battlefield is simply beautiful. It has a lot of hills, making it difficult to walk, but I really enjoyed it, especially seeing the hills the soldiers had to climb while in full uniform. A wonderful spot.

I also visited My Old Kentucky Home, and Federal Hill, the house on the estate. It has a lot of really neat antique items, including a 235 year old grandfather clock and a really neat old piano with beautiful ivory keys.

The Civil War Museum in Bardstown is very fascinating, with a ton of items, and the Lincoln Museum in Hodgenville is also terrific.

Perhaps none of these count as the "best" I've ever visited (though Perryville may be close) but there are a lot of neat places to visit in that region. I did not even make it to Shaker Village.

I have been to Gettysburg many times. I love visiting there.

I've also been to Antietam and New Market. Interesting, but I really love taking in the entire town of Gettysburg and not just the battlefield when I visit.

I spent the 4th of July holiday in Gettysburg last year, and have been thinking about a return trip this summer, but I'm curious where all of you think would be the best place to experience our nation's birthday, Gettysburg, Williamsburg or DC?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I have been to Gettysburg many times. I love visiting there.

I've also been to Antietam and New Market. Interesting, but I really love taking in the entire town of Gettysburg and not just the battlefield when I visit.

I spent the 4th of July holiday in Gettysburg last year, and have been thinking about a return trip this summer, but I'm curious where all of you think would be the best place to experience our nation's birthday, Gettysburg, Williamsburg or DC?
    I recommend Williamsburg because Yorktown is 10-15 minutes away down the Colonial Parkway. There you will see where we and the French defeated Lord Cornwalis to win our independence. The fireworks over the York River are the best I've seen. Plus Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestowne are nearby. Also, there are plantations along the James River and Route 5.

Colonial Williamsburg is my favorite.
    Monticello is a close second.
    Underated, but nice for a half day trip is Harper's Ferry.
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

The Vicksburg battle ground is pretty cool. So is Chickamauga.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawkfish View Post
    Colonial Williamsburg is my favorite.
    Monticello is a close second.
    Underated, but nice for a half day trip is Harper's Ferry.
    Jefferson died on July 4, 1826, 50 years to the day of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. He died at Monticello. Monticello is what I would recommend. FWIW, John Adams died on the same day as Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    Jefferson died on July 4, 1826, 50 years to the day of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. He died at Monticello. Monticello is what I would recommend. FWIW, John Adams died on the same day as Jefferson.
    John Adams' last words were "Jefferson Lives".

Except he didn't.

I have always wondered if Jefferson and Adams' deaths on the same day exactly fifty years after the Declaration of Independence were may be fudged just a bit. Even though they were both certainly extremely old at the time of their deaths, my extremely cynical side thinks it might be too much of a coincidence.
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

James Monroe, the fifth president of the US also died on a July 4th. Three of the first five presidents died on the anniversary of the DOI.

I've been to Ft. Sumter. Cool experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    The Vicksburg battle ground is pretty cool. So is Chickamauga.
    I really couldn't wrap my head around the stories I read about Vicksburg while there. It's so much different from other Civil War sites. But, cool nonetheless.

Good eats in Vicksburg, too.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawkfish View Post
    I have always wondered if Jefferson and Adams' deaths on the same day exactly fifty years after the Declaration of Independence were may be fudged just a bit.
    They weren't fudged at all. It just shows you how much of Providence was involved in the making of the United States of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    They weren't fudged at all. It just shows you how much of Providence was involved in the making of the United States of America.
    Could not have said it better myself, always has been my belief.

Turn Off Ads?