Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wednesday, May 26 Minor League Updates

Re: Wednesday, May 26 Minor League Updates

IMHO, guys like Lehr who throw so many splitters are just biding time until the elbow goes.

2. Turn Off Ads?

mth, by your comments I can see that you appreciate the role a mentoring veteran plays, and you appreciate Lehr to that extent. And I agree that the Reds are bursting with near-ready pitchers in the upper minors. But I wouldn't fault them for sticking with Lehr.

It's sort of the way I view the Rolen trade. Some people look at it as a guy getting in the way of a youth movement. But I'd contend--and I think this is where the Reds are coming from--that a guy like Rolen, and a guy like Lehr, is essential to a youth movement. When there's a preponderance of young guys, they absolutely need examples and role models and players who have been there, done that. If you track all the moves Jocketty has made in the past year, you see this at every turn. And it would certainly appear that he's on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    mth, by your comments I can see that you appreciate the role a mentoring veteran plays, and you appreciate Lehr to that extent. And I agree that the Reds are bursting with near-ready pitchers in the upper minors. But I wouldn't fault them for sticking with Lehr.

It's sort of the way I view the Rolen trade. Some people look at it as a guy getting in the way of a youth movement. But I'd contend--and I think this is where the Reds are coming from--that a guy like Rolen, and a guy like Lehr, is essential to a youth movement. When there's a preponderance of young guys, they absolutely need examples and role models and players who have been there, done that. If you track all the moves Jocketty has made in the past year, you see this at every turn. And it would certainly appear that he's on the right track.
    Valid point, but some guys do this job while adding production (Rolen, for example) while others block progress (Lehr over Klinker, Burke in front of Alonso to start the year, Adkins in front of anyone, etc.)
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Valid point, but some guys do this job while adding production (Rolen, for example) while others block progress (Lehr over Klinker, Burke in front of Alonso to start the year, Adkins in front of anyone, etc.)
    Yeah, it's a fine line. In Lehr's case, he had been extremely productive the past couple years in AAA, and even had some success last year with the Reds. So I think he warranted the investment, and at least a couple months of opportunity. Then the question becomes, how long can you go with that kind of guy if he's not performing well? I'd imagine that's where the Reds are right now with Miguel Cairo.

Don't see a thread for it, or see it in this thread, so I'll say it.

Sutton has been promoted to the Majors (so what does Baker do?....start Cairo at 1st Base even though Sutton has played 1st Base the whole of last week, AND, he bats Cairo 2nd in the lineup).

Nice to see Sutton up (Janish is on the bereavement list as his grandmother passed away, but I'm sure most reading this already knew this.....just didn't see it posted anywhere in the Minor League forum).

Thanks for the info, Kingspoint. Doesn't surprise me that Dusty would start Cairo. I'd have been surprised by anything else.

Now that Sutton is gone from the minors, I need a new player to pimp.

That's going to be Sean Henry.

Would like to see Henry moved to AAA before June ends.

Carolina 0-0 after 2.

Webb 2 IP, 3K.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Carolina wins 6-2. Three hits for Kahaulelio, two for Denove, two with a HR for Sean Danielson. Odd line for Travis Webb: 5 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 6 BB, 7 K. Valiquette finishes.

Jacob Johnson, the 19-year-old, finally gets his first win for Dayton. He's been in the rotation all year, and struggling, but he's a nice prospect. The score tonight was 5-3 and his line was: 5 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 6 K. Ricky Bowen pitched 2.2 scoreless innings in what I believe was his first appearance of the season. Donnie Joseph went 1.1 for the save. Gregorius and Fleury homered. Thomas Nurre had three hits.

Turn Off Ads?