Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: USMNT --- World Cup 2010 South Africa - USA Eliminated

Re: USMNT --- World Cup 2010 South Africa - Catch-all

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Well, there's the FIFA Club World Cup but that's a somewhat recent invention.

The top leagues in Europe all combine for a Champions league, which if we're being honest is as legitimate as a World Championship going to the NBA or MLB winner. The best players wish to play in Europe, the top European clubs are the top teams much like the New York Yankees are probably unquestionably the top baseball team in the world.

I take it that's for EPL teams, no? Is their schedule still going on while World Cup is?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I take it that's for EPL teams, no? Is their schedule still going on while World Cup is?
    Oh yes sorry I misunderstood the question.

The FIFA Club World Cup is played in December, the Champions league is actually for all of Europes top leagues, and the matches are scheduled during the same months as the league matches. I think I read on another soccer thread that the teams usually play intra country league matches mid week and play outside of their league(whether it's Champions League or other inter-country leagues) on weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Did anyone else hear the announcer who swallowed the cat on air during the end of the Netherlands - Denmark match?

Netherlands are always fancied, but I don't view them as serious contenders for this WC.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Oh yes sorry I misunderstood the question.

The FIFA Club World Cup is played in December, the Champions league is actually for all of Europes top leagues, and the matches are scheduled during the same months as the league matches. I think I read on another soccer thread that the teams usually play intra country league matches mid week and play outside of their league(whether it's Champions League or other inter-country leagues) on weekends.
    Actually, what I wanted to know is if it is business as usual for the EPL now or are they taking a break during the World Cup much like the NHL takes a break for the Olympics?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Actually, what I wanted to know is if it is business as usual for the EPL now or are they taking a break during the World Cup much like the NHL takes a break for the Olympics?
    The EPL season runs from August to May. (As do the other major leagues in Europe and the rest of the world ... 'International Calendar')

That was a major discussion point during the creation of MLS. There was some considerable pressure to adopt the international calendar but they did not do so.

nm
    Last edited by Hoosier Red; 06-14-2010 at 11:40 AM. Reason: WMR had a better answer than me.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Japan with a nice showing today

Quote Originally Posted by Reds View Post
    Japan with a nice showing today
    That was an impressive victory over a completely disorganized Cameroon. Eto'o and friends looked like they had never even met each other yet alone prepared tactics.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    That was a major discussion point during the creation of MLS. There was some considerable pressure to adopt the international calendar but they did not do so.
    Which, as far as I'm concerned, was a good move. A startup league would be suicidal to go head-to-head with the NFL, NCAA and high school football on weekends in the fall.

I suspect MLS will move to the international format eventually, it's just an issue of when soccer in this country reaches a tipping point to where their fanbase (and TV coverage) will follow a move to the fall.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    The EPL season runs from August to May. (As do the other major leagues in Europe and the rest of the world ... 'International Calendar')
    Thanks. Just curious.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

On a new note. I keep reading where people feel like the United States "has" to win on Friday and I just don't agree at all. If we can agree that the US can and will beat Algeria, it's just a matter of the score, then the way the schedule worked out played perfectly for the United States chances at advancing.

They play Slovenia on Friday. Slovenia while clearly not as good as the United States has the advantage of being ahead in the group and will play to their strength(defense) and play for the tie. Given this, it would take a stunning display of ineptitude to lose the game. So worst case scenario, the US ties Slovenia and goes into their final game knowing exactly what they need to do to advance.

a) If England beats Algeria by 2 or more, then the US simply needs to beat Algeria by 2 goals to guarantee getting through.
    b) If England beats Algeria by 1 than the US needs to beat Algeria by 1 to at worst tie England and Slovenia, or move ahead of whichever team loses that game. (I'm admittedly not sure what happens when the three teams all have tied, and have the same goal differential.)
    c) If England ties Algeria, the United States just needs to win to move ahead of the England-Slovenia loser.

We absolutely must win the group to have any hope in the knockout stages. Here are the likely opponents based on group placement.

1st in group
    LAST 16 - GHANA
    Q/F - MEXICO
    S/F - BRAZIL
    FINAL - SPAIN

2ND in group
    LAST 16 - GERMANY
    Q/F - ARGENTINA
    S/F - SPAIN
    FINAL - BRAZIL

It is rather obvious that finishing first gives a better chance at advancing deep into the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    We absolutely must win the group to have any hope in the knockout stages. Here are the likely opponents based on group placement.

1st in group
    LAST 16 - GHANA
    Q/F - MEXICO
    S/F - BRAZIL
    FINAL - SPAIN

2ND in group
    LAST 16 - GERMANY
    Q/F - ARGENTINA
    S/F - SPAIN
    FINAL - BRAZIL

It is rather obvious that finishing first gives a better chance at advancing deep into the tournament.
    Well that's definately true. I was speaking of simply getting out of the group stage. What's funny to me is how one game has reconfigured so many people's idea as to the toughest road to the quarters and semis. Before the tournament began, one writer was mentioning that finishing 2nd in the group may be more beneficial because Germany would be without Ballack and didn't look to be nearly as dominating as past squads and Argentina was such an unknown with Maradona going crazy through qualifying. In any event, the thought was the United States lucked out on the draw, not only because the group was easy, but also because the road to the quarters and semis was much easier.

One game in, Germany looks like Germany and Argentina looks like Argentina, and the US is looking for a position that moves them away from those two teams.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Paraguay just scored an absolute beauty off a free kick against Italy. That was one of the prettiest goals of the tournament so far as far as I'm concerned.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Turn Off Ads?