Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: USMNT --- World Cup 2010 South Africa - USA Eliminated

Re: USMNT --- World Cup 2010 South Africa - Catch-all

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Agreed. Even then, it is a pain when trying to rearrange fixtures. Just ask Arsene Wenger, he'll let you know how he feels. Over. And over. And over...
    Good job he wasn't in charge back in 1979 when Arsenal played my team Sheffield Wednesday in this epic !!!!

3 Sat 6 Jan ARSENAL................. 1-1
    3R Tue 9 Jan Arsenal.................1-1
    3R2 Mon 15 Jan Arsenal................. 2-2
    at Filbert Street aet
    3R3 Wed 17 Jan Arsenal................. 3-3
    at Filbert Street aet
    3R4 Mon 22 Jan Arsenal................. 0-2
    at Filbert Street

These were the days when the shootout system did not exist !!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Except the Russian and Scandinavian Leagues, which play a summer schedule, same as the U.S. The Ukraine plays an "International Calendar," but starts the season in July, ends it in June, and takes a 3 month break in the winter, so that it's more like a summer season.

FIFA wants the MLS to move to the International Calendar. However, in addition to the aforementioned competition with other pro leagues in the US, the concern from the American standpoint is that the winters in places like Toronto, Columbus, Chicago, Boston, New York, and Salt Lake City are more like Russia and Scandinavia than they are the milder winters of Western and Southern Europe.
    One of the major advantages for the USMNT is that the MLS guys are significantly more fresh than the guys who play in European Leagues. MLS has been playing for a month or so and the Euro's haven't had any time off since last August. It isn't a coincedence that so many elite players bring injuries into the WC.
    So, I hope that MLS keeps the schedule the way it is.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by RawOwl UK View Post
    Good job he wasn't in charge back in 1979 when Arsenal played my team Sheffield Wednesday in this epic !!!!

3 Sat 6 Jan ARSENAL................. 1-1
    3R Tue 9 Jan Arsenal.................1-1
    3R2 Mon 15 Jan Arsenal................. 2-2
    at Filbert Street aet
    3R3 Wed 17 Jan Arsenal................. 3-3
    at Filbert Street aet
    3R4 Mon 22 Jan Arsenal................. 0-2
    at Filbert Street

These were the days when the shootout system did not exist !!!!
    I was discussing that cup tie with one of Arsenal's team historians a few years ago at the Emirates. That is absolutely epic stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    One of the major advantages for the USMNT is that the MLS guys are significantly more fresh than the guys who play in European Leagues. MLS has been playing for a month or so and the Euro's haven't had any time off since last August. It isn't a coincedence that so many elite players bring injuries into the WC.
    So, I hope that MLS keeps the schedule the way it is.
    That's true, of course on the other hand, the MLS has to get a lot better before I'll be happy if even half of the team comes from the MLS.

Right Now I'm pretty sure the only true MLS players on the roster are Findlay and Buddle.

Donovan of course plays in MLS but he also is capable of going to European leagues at the very least in the MLS offseason.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

For those of you that don't read Soccer America and don't watch Colbert, I give you the following video. Especially those of you named RawOwl UK.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article...t-english.html

Brazil - N. Korea are 0-0 at the half. Possession stat: Brazil 84% - Korea 16%.

Korea's playing a 5-3-2 and defending in great numbers. Must be a thriller.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    For those of you that don't read Soccer America and don't watch Colbert, I give you the following video. Especially those of you named RawOwl UK.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article...t-english.html
    Says video not available in my country

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Brazil - N. Korea are 0-0 at the half. Possession stat: Brazil 84% - Korea 16%.

Korea's playing a 5-3-2 and defending in great numbers. Must be a thriller.
    North Korea have been superb. You cant really blame Brazil, NK have just done a job on them.

NK have also been good on the ball for the small amount of possesion they have had. Need to concentrate early in the 2nd half now.

How does the coverage work in the US for the World Cup ?

Over here it's a protected event that is shared by the BBC & ITV so the whole country has no problems watching every game live. Sky cannot obtain the rights.

How does the coverage work in the US for the World Cup ?

Over here it's a protected event that is shared by the BBC & ITV so the whole country has no problems watching every game live. Sky cannot obtain the rights.
    ESPN/ABC owns the rights. So all of the games are televised live ... most on ESPN (cable) and a few on ABC (network).

Of course, you can get all the games live on the Spanish channel networks that are on "free" TV as well.

People talking about it at work etc ?

Depends on where you work I suppose, I'm in an IT atmosphere, most of the guys and gals don't seem to care about sports in my team. But 18 million folks watched the game against England, more than watched the 4th game of the NBA finals, so there is some interest.

Some chatter. There's not a lot of sports talk in general where I work, but I hear some talk.

The sports radio talk shows are hit-and-miss. Unfortunately, there are a lot of radio voices who don't like soccer, so instead of ignoring it they use the World Cup as an opportunity to bash the sport. I still don't get that mentality.

I'm in the New York City metro area, so there are big pockets of international fans. My neighbors are from Brazil. There are a lot of Italian fans nearby, too. In NYC, you can pretty much find a pub that's friendly to whichever country you root for.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Depends on where you work I suppose, I'm in an IT atmosphere, most of the guys and gals don't seem to care about sports in my team. But 18 million folks watched the game against England, more than watched the 4th game of the NBA finals, so there is some interest.
    That doesn't count the people who watch Telemundo (Spanish). I know quite a few people who speak Spanish and would rather watch their commentators. Add to that all of the folks who speak Spanish as their primary language.

Guys, not sure if you know about http://www.talksport.net/

pretty much wall to wall World cup coverage at the moment. A great alternative from the BBC. Some good presenters with good shows. Might be worth a listen if you want an insight to how we are seeing it from this side of the pond.

Turn Off Ads?