Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: USMNT --- World Cup 2010 South Africa - USA Eliminated

Re: United States Men's National Team --- World Cup 2010 South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I thought you guys might want to join a fantasy World Cup prediction. I'm really not into it but I thought it could be interesting to have one.

The Group is RedsZone
    The Group ID# is 17678
    The password is donovan10

Good luck!

http://us.wc.fantasysports.yahoo.com/world-cup
    I'm in, and I hope others will join us!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Heard that Giuseppe Rossi ... born in NJ, plays for Italy ... did not make the cut for the Azzurri. He could've played in three, maybe four world cups had he accepted Bruce Arena's offer for a spot on the US squad. He chose to get an Italian passport and now he may never have an opportunity to play in the World Cup.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Heard that Giuseppe Rossi ... born in NJ, plays for Italy ... did not make the cut for the Azzurri. He could've played in three, maybe four world cups had he accepted Bruce Arena's offer for a spot on the US squad. He chose to get an Italian passport and now he may never have an opportunity to play in the World Cup.
    That's a shame for the guy but it's one of the things in International soccer that interests me quite a bit. As the world becomes more and more interconnected there will be even more families moving from one country to another. How FIFA and other international sporting agencies deal with players deciding which country to represent will be an interesting debate that I'm not sure I have an answer for.
    While Rossi has given up his chances to play for the US, Freddy Adu probably could have helped Ghana qualify for the WC and played for them if he liked. 4 years ago can you imagine how terrified US fans would be that Adu might not play for the United States in the 2010 World Cup?

It seems as though there will be more and more competition to "recruit" players to play for the national teams at even younger ages.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I think most USA soccer fans have serious doubts about defensive capability. Obviously teams that hunker down and play for the counter need a steady defense. Demerit, Bocanegra, and Onyewu being nicked up is a major problem.

I can only hope that Edu has a major role in CDM.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I'm not so sure the US is going to hunker down and counter. The England game will obviously require a great defensive effort and you'll see them bunker in quite a bit there. But against Slovenia and Algeria? I'm not sure the US isn't a comparable or superior team, so it's not like they have to hunker down and hope for the best.

After the group stage, it will really depend on what the matchups are. Admittedly the US will be at a pretty big disadvantage against most teams in the knockout phase.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

It looked to me that Bradley Sr. may have finally been cured of his 'hunker down and pray' tendencies. We can play with England.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    That's a shame for the guy but it's one of the things in International soccer that interests me quite a bit. As the world becomes more and more interconnected there will be even more families moving from one country to another. How FIFA and other international sporting agencies deal with players deciding which country to represent will be an interesting debate that I'm not sure I have an answer for.
    While Rossi has given up his chances to play for the US, Freddy Adu probably could have helped Ghana qualify for the WC and played for them if he liked. 4 years ago can you imagine how terrified US fans would be that Adu might not play for the United States in the 2010 World Cup?

It seems as though there will be more and more competition to "recruit" players to play for the national teams at even younger ages.
    Ghana has been knocking down the door to get Balotelli (Inter/Italy) to play for them. But I think he's committed to trying to make the Italian national team. He's still very young, and will have a chance again in 4 years if he starts showing more maturity on and off the field.

I know I shouldn't, but I'm laughing my ass off at Rossi.

Kid could've been a star for the USMNT but gets left off the Azurri.

CNNSI ranks all 32 teams. USA checks in at # 14. I thought others might be interested to see the rankings.

When you look at the clubs where the Americans play and consider that the U.S. has yet to produce a soccer superstar, you realize that coach Bob Bradley's team actually punches above its own weight. Part of the reason is excellent team chemistry. The Yanks looked good in the second half of Saturday's 2-1 win against Turkey after a brutal first half, especially on defense. Questions on the back line will probably persist until Oguchi Onyewu, fresh off a seven-month injury layoff, shows he can perform against Wayne Rooney and England on June 12. The attacking keys will be two players who haven't been slowed by injuries: Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey, who will most likely continue prowling the flanks, where they have the freedom to cut inside with the ball at their feet.
    Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz0pgb8aQjv

Gasp and Dismay, Jozy Altidore sprained his ankle today in practice.
    He's day to day, but as Dan and Keith used to like to say, "Aren't we all."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-c...cc=5901&ver=us

Altidore hurt his right ankle during a workout on a shortened field Wednesday, U.S. Soccer Federation spokesman Neil Buethe said. Altidore was taken to a hospital for X-rays and was diagnosed with a mild sprain.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I know I shouldn't, but I'm laughing my ass off at Rossi.

Kid could've been a star for the USMNT but gets left off the Azurri.
    Laugh at Rossi? He's 10 times better than any forward for the USA.

Toni, Totti, Balotelli, Miccoli were all left off the Azzurri. The Italian group of forwards is the weakest in years. No logic to the selections - Qualiarella is the only interesting player in the group.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post

Toni, Totti, Balotelli, Miccoli were all left off the Azzurri. The Italian group of forwards is the weakest in years. No logic to the selections - Qualiarella is the only interesting player in the group.
    Totti retired from international duty.
    Miccoli suffered a knee injury in Palermo's second to last game.
    Balotelli is immature ... a red card waiting to happen. Can't be trusted in the spotlight. Same with Cassano.

I would have taken Toni or Rossi over Iaquinta, though.

Not sure what you don't like about DiNatale, Gilardino and Pazzini. All are solid choices.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Not exactly the US team, but I just heard that Drogba is out with an injury. Shame. He can be fun to watch.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post

Yeah, and he'll be watching the World Cup with the rest of us from his couch.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Not exactly the US team, but I just heard that Drogba is out with an injury. Shame. He can be fun to watch.
    That's fine. This thread is intended to be a 'catch all' for not only the USMNT, but the World Cup as a whole.

Turn Off Ads?