Turn Off Ads?
Page 48 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Thread: USMNT --- World Cup 2010 South Africa - USA Eliminated

Re: USMNT --- World Cup 2010 South Africa - USA ADVANCES!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Italy was by far the most open team in their group.
    Italy only really opened the game up in the last 20 minutes vs. Slovakia, and surprise, they fired in 2 (and almost 4) goals. One other thing that I noticed about Italy. After they got down 2-0, they stopped diving and started playing hard (aside from that bizarre scrum in the net.) They fought through tackles and played brilliant football. Quagliarella was awesome and provided a ton of energy.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Italy only really opened the game up in the last 20 minutes vs. Slovakia, and surprise, they fired in 2 (and almost 4) goals. One other thing that I noticed about Italy. After they got down 2-0, they stopped diving and started playing hard (aside from that bizarre scrum in the net.) They fought through tackles and played brilliant football. Quagliarella was awesome and provided a ton of energy.
    The most dangerous stoppage in soccer. It never fails goalie tries to "delay restart" and the team trailing is trying to reset it quickly almost NEVER fails to produce a scrum. Its why when I can add time I tell both captains at the start that I reserve the right to add as much time as I deem fit (when I'm allowed to add time) to try and keep both teams from contributing to a totally stupid and unneccessary scrum.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

One goal scored in a game would have resulted in either winning or drawing 23 of the 44 games to date. Is that typical? Is this a low-scoring tournament?

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

US v Ghana is a 50/50 game, the us on paper - but ghana is close to home. should be a good match, I like the us to prevail by a goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    The most dangerous stoppage in soccer. It never fails goalie tries to "delay restart" and the team trailing is trying to reset it quickly almost NEVER fails to produce a scrum. Its why when I can add time I tell both captains at the start that I reserve the right to add as much time as I deem fit (when I'm allowed to add time) to try and keep both teams from contributing to a totally stupid and unneccessary scrum.
    Why should the players even be touching the ball when it goes into the back of the net. Shouldn't that be the ref's job? It's a weird situation all around.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    One goal scored in a game would have resulted in either winning or drawing 23 of the 44 games to date. Is that typical? Is this a low-scoring tournament?
    The World Cup tends to be much lower scoring than club soccer. Teams tend to play negative (not to lose) when they are overmatched and it results in a lot of small score lines. That said, this has been worse than any World Cup I've seen for goal scoring. I wrote off the complaints about the new ball at first, but when I see free kick artists who usually have laser precision blasting the ball 30 yards off target I have to wonder.

Bob Bradley speaks out against diving. A few excerpts from the story below.

I agree with him. It's easy to stop, but for some reason FIFA seems unconcerned. When the one of the top players in the tournament is suspended for an undeserved red card, you'd think it would get someone's attention.

Ivory Coast put on a shameful performance against Brazil.

Link to article

IRENE, South Africa – Despite errors by FIFA referees that disallowed two goals and almost knocked the United States out of the World Cup, coach Bob Bradley isn’t in the mood to complain about the refs.

“The game is very hard to officiate,” he said.

Instead, Bradley took aim at a soccer tradition that assaults the sensibilities of many of the casual or new American fans this U.S. team has attracted this week – flopping.

If you’re tired of seeing generally fit, strong players writhe on the field like a wounded duck after a phantom touch, only to have one of their wincing eyes peaking at the referee, then Bradley feels your, ah, pain.

That said, like a lot of soccer enthusiasts over the past two weeks, Bradley has watched too many players getting lightly bumped only to drop like a sniper just blasted them for him to remain silent.
    Bradley brought out his strongest criticism of Ivory Coast player Kader Keita, who in a group game against Brazil took a light elbow to the chest from star Kaka only to fall to the ground in agony holding his face. Referee Stephane Lannoy was duped into believing Kaka had slammed Keita’s face and promptly issued Kaka a second yellow card and subsequent red card to eject the former world player of the year.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

jredmo2

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Bob Bradley speaks out against diving. A few excerpts from the story below.

I agree with him. It's easy to stop, but for some reason FIFA seems unconcerned. When the one of the top players in the tournament is suspended for an undeserved red card, you'd think it would get someone's attention.

Ivory Coast put on a shameful performance against Brazil.

Link to article
    I just watched Mighty Ducks last night: "Take the fall! Act hurt! Get indignant!"

Brazil-Portgual was simply dreadful. That is the type of match that really drags down a tournament. Some of the most skilled players alive were on the field together and seemed content to have a knock about or 90 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Brazil-Portgual was simply dreadful. That is the type of match that really drags down a tournament. Some of the most skilled players alive were on the field together and seemed content to have a knock about or 90 minutes.
    That's what happens when both teams advance already, I was going to go in late for work and watch the game this moring until it became apparent that it would be not a knockout game on any level.

Bummed that it was adog, I was hoping for an entertaining watch later tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    That's what happens when both teams advance already, I was going to go in late for work and watch the game this moring until it became apparent that it would be not a knockout game on any level.

Bummed that it was adog, I was hoping for an entertaining watch later tonight.
    I agree that this is what happens when both teams are through. OTOH, I thought we might see all-out attack from both sides with nothing at stake (CIV was never going to make up a -9 differential). With so much history between the two nations, you'd think both would want bragging rights. Oh well, at least Spain should be entertaining with their backs to the wall.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jredmo2 View Post
    I just watched Mighty Ducks last night: "Take the fall! Act hurt! Get indignant!"
    I was watching that too -- couldn't help but laugh at the odd parallel to the soccer flopping you see in the World Cup.

Incidentally, we had a long discussion today at work as to who was the more "evil" leader: the Hawks coach from Mighty Ducks ("It's not worth playing if you can't win big,") or the evil Sensei from the original Karate Kid ("Strike hard! Strike fast! Show no mercy!").
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Bradley's on the mark. It's not like embellishment of contact doesn't exist in other sports here in America, but trying to get a call is one thing, faking being hurt is another. The American sporting character has little tolerance for the latter; we expect our athletes to not just be tough, but act tough. When grown men are writhing in "pain" over contact that a nine-year-old girl could play through -- and my daughter plays, so I know of which I speak -- it's just laughable.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I was watching that too -- couldn't help but laugh at the odd parallel to the soccer flopping you see in the World Cup.

Incidentally, we had a long discussion today at work as to who was the more "evil" leader: the Hawks coach from Mighty Ducks ("It's not worth playing if you can't win big,") or the evil Sensei from the original Karate Kid ("Strike hard! Strike fast! Show no mercy!").
    Not even close.
    This guy!

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Spain just got a freebie from about 50 yards away. Goalie runs out to try to clear a ball it bounces right to a Spanish player and he just puts it in with no one even having a chance to stop it.

Turn Off Ads?