Miguel Cairo 1b
    Brandon Phillips 2b
    Scott Rolen 3b
    Jay Bruce rf
    Laynce Nix lf
    Drew Stubbs cf
    Ryan Hanigan c
    Bronson Arroyo p
    Dusty turns to Miguel Cairo to get the Reds back on their good foot. He doesn't hit. He doesn't get on base. He has no power. Let's put him up near the top of the lineup. Makes sense to Dusty.

Amazing. I know it is a small sample size but Joey Votto's stats against Ohlendorf (Pirate's starter tonight) are as follows:

9 PA 7 AB 4 H 1 2B 1 3B 1 HR 1 RBI 2 BB 0 K .571/.667/1.429/2.095

Here is every at-bat Joey has had against Ohlendorf:
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...1&n1=ohlenro01

One of his three outs was a flyout to deep CF/LF, meaning he probably just missed another extra base hit.

From CNNSI preview of the game:
    Ohlendorf is 1-1 with a 3.94 ERA in three starts versus Cincinnati, and he'll certainly want to be careful pitching to Joey Votto . The Reds first baseman, batting .400 over his last nine games, has hit for the cycle in seven career at-bats against Ohlendorf.
    LOL, Dusty you jokester you. No, Ohlendorf won't have to be careful pitching to Joey Votto. Dusty took care of that in order to get some Veteran Crustiness (i.e. Miguel Cairo) into the lineup.

So you take out your hot cleanup stick, who has had mega-success against the other team's starter, to stick Miguel Cairo in the 2-spot.

I sure hope it works out, but only Dusty would think that is a good idea.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...#ixzz0p4Ku4az8
    Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription
    Last edited by texasdave; 05-26-2010 at 04:26 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 05/26/10 Wednesday Reds/Pirates

He can sac bunt Cabrera over man. Thats all that matters out of the 2 hole. Making good positive outs.

Whatever happened to the Ron Coomer's of the world? The guys who could fake it defensively at all 4 corners and could give you enough offense to not be embarrassing? Now all there seems to be is utility infielders who can't hit anything.

Seriously, the more I think about it the more I think the Reds FO should be embarrassed that we are running Miguel Cairo out to 1b as a backup to one of the best hitters in the league.

Maybe Joey is hurt. That is the only logical explanation. And even if he was hurt, I would probably go with Sutton over Cairo. If Sutton can make it to the park by game time.

Joey apparently needs a day off and has a stiff neck. Im fine with the guy taking a day off. Cairo being his back up is the huge issue.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegsToday View Post
    Whatever happened to the Ron Coomer's of the world? The guys who could fake it defensively at all 4 corners and could give you enough offense to not be embarrassing? Now all there seems to be is utility infielders who can't hit anything.
    And it's not like Cairo has a glove because he doesn't. I would have loved to been in on that discussion when they decided that Cairo would come north with the team at the end of spring training.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Joey apparently needs a day off and has a stiff neck. Im fine with the guy taking a day off. Cairo being his back up is the huge issue.
    That was the only way this thing made sense. If Votto was hurt. Still, Miguel Cairo?

Thats fine and dandy with Joey getting a day off, god knows he deserves one, but I am at a loss of words for Miguel "freaking" Cairo getting the start. With Hanigan catching, it would make since for Ramon to be at 1st. Only under Dusdty
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Dusty turns to Miguel Cairo to get the Reds back on their good foot. He doesn't hit. He doesn't get on base. He has no power. Let's put him up near the top of the lineup. Makes sense to Dusty.
    Unbelievable.

And, he won't even use Del Rosario. 1 batter so far. I hope he uses him today.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan_12 View Post
    Thats fine and dandy with Joey getting a day off, god knows he deserves one, but I am at a loss of words for Miguel "freaking" Cairo getting the start. With Hanigan catching, it would make since for Ramon to be at 1st. Only under Dusdty
    And, bat Hanigan 2nd and Cairo 9th (since he's the worst hitter on the team, even worse than Arroyo).

guess i'll skip out on tonights game.

Well, this is nothing but Walt Jockety's fault.

Baker can't play Cairo if you don't put Cairo on the roster.

Hurry up and get Sutton or Castillo up here and DFA Cairo.

(Or, whoever's going to pitch for Homer on Friday, he'll take Cairo's place)

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    He can sac bunt Cabrera over man. Thats all that matters out of the 2 hole. Making good positive outs.
    Since you brought that up, just thought I'd post that the REDS are at the NL average (33%) for "making positive outs". The Top-3 are the Padres, Mets and Giants at 43%, 42% and 40%, respectively.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...-batting.shtml

They are dead last in getting runners home from 3rd and less than 2 outs, though. I've always attributed that stat situation to the Manager. Not surprised that we're the worst at that since Duhsty is the Manager. Odd, because Roger Craig, his mentor, was excellent at it.

Hernandez should be playing first, not Cairo.

Turn Off Ads?