Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Lehr headed for Tommy John surgery.

Lehr headed for Tommy John surgery.

Per Rotoworld via The Enquirer w/ Rotoworld comments:

Reds right-hander Justin Lehr is likely headed for Tommy John surgery.

The 32-year-old is currently on the minor league disabled list and is headed to Cincinnati on Wednesday to have his arm examined by the Reds' medical team. Tommy John surgery, it seems, is inevitable. "He’s either going to have it now or some time this year," a Reds official said.

I know it was reported in the "Wednesday game thread" this morning, but thought it should have it's own thread.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-26-2010 at 09:15 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lehr headed for Tommy John surgery.

That sucks Lehr seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders as it comes to pitching. I wonder if he has ever had any inclanation on giving coaching a try at the major leagues. He certainly showed he could help Homer teaching him the splitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

That's too bad. I remember reading somewhere on this board that the Reds signed him to a $400k minor league contract this year.

I hope for his sake that is true.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    That's too bad. I remember reading somewhere on this board that the Reds signed him to a $400k minor league contract this year.

I hope for his sake that is true.
    I believe you're correct. They agreed to essentially ML money on a minor league deal. I recall he needed that commitment to continue playing and we gave it to him. He'll be 33 by the time he's ready to start throwing next year, so perhaps he won't close it down.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Don't want to seem harsh, but at least now Klinker can be moved to AAA where he belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Don't want to seem harsh, but at least now Klinker can be moved to AAA where he belongs.
    I remember in late March seeing an overabundance of starters at AA and AAA. Not worried at the time because these things always have a way of working themselves out.

From C. Trent:

Class AAA starter Justin Lehr underwent arm surgery on Friday, including "Tommy John" surgery to repair the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow.

The day after the surgery, Lehr was in the Reds' clubhouse and he's flying to Arizona on Sunday. Lehr lives in Arizona and will rehab at the Reds complex in Goodyear, Ariz.

Reds pitcher Justin Lehr. Photo by Brian BakerDespite the season-ending surgery, Lehr was in high spirits. The team said they want him to stay in the organization while he rehabs, which means he will have a place to rehab and also a place to pitch next season when he is ready to come back.
    While rehabbig in Goodyear, Lehr will also work on the player development side of the Reds' organization. He was credited last year with teaching Homer Bailey a split-fingered fastball and several other pitchers in the Reds organization, have credited Lehr with helping them.
    http://cnati.com/cincinnati-reds/not...the-dl-002043/

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Sounds like a Coaching job with the REDS in the very near future if he wants it.

This is the kind of guy who has pitching coach written all over him. Hopefully he's able to parlay that into a long term gig with the Reds.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?