Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Donnie Joseph finally promoted to High-A Lynchburg, plus a note on Valiquette

Donnie Joseph finally promoted to High-A Lynchburg, plus a note on Valiquette

From Kevin Goldstein's twitter:

One of the best relievers in the Midwest League, #Reds LHP Donnie Joseph, promoted to Hi-A Lynchburg.

http://twitter.com/Kevin_Goldstein

Donnie Joseph's stats with Dayton:

23 IP, 13 H, 0 HR, 7 BB, 40 K, 0.78 ERA, 15.65 K/9.

That's total dominance. This promotion was long overdue.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Donnie Joseph finally promoted to High-A Lynchburg, plus a note on Valiquette

And a note on Philippe Valiquette from Baseball America'a Conor Glassey:

Secondary stuff needs work, but #Reds LHP Philippe Valiquette has an awesome fastball http://ow.ly/i/1LJp

http://twitter.com/conorglassey

Click on that link. It's a picture of the radar gun flashing 100 mph on a Valiquette fastball.

Re: Donnie Joseph finally promoted to High-A Lynchburg, plus a note on Valiquette

Valiquette's fastball is simply electric. It's easily a top-10 pitch in the organization, but until he learns to command his other pitches, he's going to struggle against RHH.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From Kevin Goldstein's twitter:

One of the best relievers in the Midwest League, #Reds LHP Donnie Joseph, promoted to Hi-A Lynchburg.

http://twitter.com/Kevin_Goldstein

Donnie Joseph's stats with Dayton:

23 IP, 13 H, 0 HR, 7 BB, 40 K, 0.78 ERA, 15.65 K/9.

That's total dominance. This promotion was long overdue.
    My oh my! Those are Little League numbers.

Fangraphs on Philippe Valiquette:

A slender 6'0 lefty, Valiquette came in and started firing 96 and 97 MPH fastballs with relative ease. He got Triunfel to ground out to the second baseman, and the inning was over. Valiquette came back out for the ninth to go through the middle of West Tennessee's order. This time, he decided not to mess around, and brought out the big guns.

You don't see legit 100s on the radar gun from the left side very often. It was, to the say the least, an impressive fastball.

The command wasn't great and the secondary stuff was borderline awful, but the fastball was enough for him to make hitters look foolish. Given the velocity, I figured when I checked his career minor league line upon returning home that he'd be running big strikeout totals at the least. To my surprise, he's only racked up 245 strikeouts in 311 innings pitched over six minor league seasons, and his second trip through Double-A isn't going very well this year. The walks aren't a big surprise, but I was shocked to see that he's been this ineffective in the low minors with a huge fastball.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...-arm-strength/

Valiquette's numbers are not good. In 21.2 innings he has given up 29 hits. He's K'd 14 while issuing 13 BB's. If he gets his command issues straight he has the tools to be really good. Until then he's a tightwire act.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    Valiquette's numbers are not good. In 21.2 innings he has given up 29 hits. He's K'd 14 while issuing 13 BB's. If he gets his command issues straight he has the tools to be really good. Until then he's a tightwire act.
    He might be a very good piece to dangle at a deadline trade. Running out of Options and has an arm alot of GM's covet. The Reds system is flush with quality LHR...

Speaking of promotions, Matt Fairel was promoted to Double-A Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Speaking of promotions, Matt Fairel was promoted to Double-A Carolina.
    He's not starting tonight (Friday) but I do intend to make his first start here, possibly Saturday night. Mudcats are at home this weekend.

I've seen Valiquette a handle full of times in Dayton and in my novice opinion his problem is his fastball is really his only pitch he can throw for strikes. He throws hard, but he doesn't throw much else.

I've seen Joseph in games and bullpen session close up. He has nasty stuff, and in games he made low A players look silly with his off speed stuff after a fastball. Reminds me of Billy Wagner / the good Trevor Hoffman.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Is it too early to consider Donnie Joseph one of the Reds top 10 prospects?

He is putting up ridiculous numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Is it too early to consider Donnie Joseph one of the Reds top 10 prospects?

He is putting up ridiculous numbers.
    Sean Watson is still fresh in my mind.

Is there alot Joseph still has to work on because if not im not sure why the Reds arent putting him on the fast track. Biggest need for the Reds is bullpen help and Donnie has dominated everywhere hes been

Donnie would not fare as well right now at higher levels. He is dominating Single-A hitters because he has a big league slider that is being chased when it is a foot outside the zone. Higher level hitters will not chase that pitch that far out of the zone. He has to learn to throw that pitch just off the edge of the plate. He has an average fastball and a great slider. He is working on a change-up on the side but has not used it in a game. If he can work the change into his arsenal, he has a chance to be a pretty good major league reliever. If not, he projects more as a situational lefty or one inning middle reliever.

Turn Off Ads?