Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Assuming we're in the hunt, who will the Reds target at the trade deadline?

Assuming we're in the hunt, who will the Reds target at the trade deadline?

if for some reason we are in the hunt at the trade deadline and I truly believe we will be, who do you think we will go after? I think we need bullpen help or some kind of hitter that comes off the bench? anybody have any ideas what jocketty will do?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: okay so I wanna know something?

I don't think we need anything.

Call me Crazy, but if Harang continues to struggle and Baily can't make it back and be affective, we won't have the privilege of running guys in an out of the 5th spot from AAA. Leake is a rookie, a good one, but still a rookie, can we content with him and another rookie trying to make up for Harang and or Baily? If anything, we go for another starter.

Meek from Pittsburgh would like nice in the 8th inning for the Reds.

I think at some point Chapman will get some kind of burn even though he still has work to do. But he could be effective now, maybe in the bullpen, if the Reds are in the hunt as the season develops. He is almost un-hittable against LH batters and could be great in situational at bats.

If they aren't going to play Maloney they should trade him, although I think he has some kind of blister issue that he needs to resolve before any team would want him. Also, Wood could get a shot in the rotation if Lecure struggles Friday. Plus Volquez could very well be ready be August for limited use, but I believe he won't be back till 2011.

As far as trading for a hitter, I would be against spending money on an older player when the Reds will need to save money to keep Votto, Cueto, Bruce etc. when they are ready to extend.

Before the trade deadline gets here (what is that, August 1st?), several things are going to happen first. We'll have had Jared Burton back for 6+ weeks and we'll have had Bill Bray back for 2+ weeks.

Those are two proven relief pitchers who will be options for the team before we even begin to think of looking at players who have been at Louisville (Chapman, Volquez in extended rehab, etc.) or are on other teams.

Then, there's still Harang, who if he doesn't change and improve in June, may find himself moved for who-knows-what, or asked to go to the bullpen.

Also, if Masset and Cordero show any effects from their extensive work they've had the first 1/3rd of the season, it will show up around the trade deadline. Cordero won't be replaced unless he goes on the DL. If he pitches poorly, they'll just keep throwing him out there. Masset, though, could be moved (wherever) if he proves to be overused or doesn't recover his form he showed for us before.

And, I still think Del Rosario has a good chance to stick with the Major League club. He's got options, so he could lose out to someone because of that, but if he outperforms everyone, they'll have to let him stay. Rough night last night, but if Dusty gives him more chances, I think he'll come through. He really didn't pitch badly except for the walk. He got 4 ground balls, two for outs, and two for hits.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-28-2010 at 06:12 AM.

I dont see many fits in the trade market.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

We need a #1 starter if we make the postseason. Cliff Lee is a viable option. He's a FA after the season and won't require selling the farm. My hope is that Jocketty has already spoken to Seattle and proposed a reasonable trade for him.

I'm fine with our offense. Bolstering the bullpen is another need.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

I'm pretty happy with things right now. If they keep getting quality starts from their starters I think the bullpen will work itself out. If I'd do anything at the trade deadline it would be to try to move Coco. I'd move Rhodes to the closer and try and bring in a cheaper set up guy. That's just me however.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    We need a #1 starter if we make the postseason. Cliff Lee is a viable option. He's a FA after the season and won't require selling the farm. My hope is that Jocketty has already spoken to Seattle and proposed a reasonable trade for him.

If the last few starts keep holding up, then we have a #1 starter by the name of Johnny Cueto.

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

I believe Cliff Lee will require selling the farm.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

Re: Assuming we're in the hunt, who will the Reds target at the trade deadline?

If we're in the hunt, just leave it as is.

If they are not in the hunt, and with all of the pitching the Reds have (and will have), moving CoCo and/or Harang would make sense to me.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

This is something that we have tired to debate for the past 3 weeks, going from Oswalt, to Lee. but it really is difficult to discussed without knowing for sure who will be available.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

I remember seeing somewhere that Dan Haren could be used as trade bait but it would take something super good to get him..

Joakim Soria could be someone we look at to shore up the bullpen. Maybe trade Masset, Maloney, and Sutton for Soria and Callaspo.

I also think that if we get a number 1 starter back we could send out either Harang, Cordero Or Arroyo like in a 3 way trade to even the money out

Starting pitchers available: Roy Oswalt, Ben Sheets, Cliff Lee, Dan Haren, Jeff Francis, Zach Duke, Paul Maholm, Gavin Floyd, Mark Buerhle, Jake Westbrook, Fausto Carmona, Jeremy Guthrie, Kevin Millwood, Zach Grienke, Brian Bannister

For the majority of the season, Cueto, Leake, and Arroyo have all pitched like #1 starters with Cueto pithing lights out over his last six starts.

Turn Off Ads?