Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Teams That Could Take On Payroll This Summer - Reds?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Teams That Could Take On Payroll This Summer - Reds?

From MLBTradeRumors:

Teams That Could Take On Payroll This Summer

•Reds - The Reds have financial flexibility and a willingness to get creative, according to one of Ken Rosenthal's sources.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/0...is-summer.html

Re: Teams That Could Take On Payroll This Summer - Reds?

How's the Reds attendance so far compared to past years?

That could play a part in whether they're willing to take on some money.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post

From the looks from TV, it's been pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post

From John Fay's blog:

If Bob Castellini is disappointed in the attendance, he’s smart enough not to say so. When I asked him about it, he said:

“We’re expecting on the biggest walk-up crowds of the year this weekend,” he said.

The Reds have drawn 554,310 through 27 dates. That’s down 624,071 from the same point last year. That’s a bit skewered. The 27th date last year came June 6 – in the middle of a Cubs series that drew 105,917.
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...k-up-expected/

OBM quoted Fay

The Reds have drawn 554,310 through 27 dates. That’s down 624,071 from the same point last year. That’s a bit skewered. The 27th date last year came June 6 – in the middle of a Cubs series that drew 105,917.

So we're a week away from that date, still basically drawing school time crowds, so maybe it will pick up. I think the 4 for $40 promo will help. They've sold out today's and I think tomorrow's, so that adds to the numbers. Then we're out of town until the 7th.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

indeed, those numbers look 'skewered'
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    indeed, those numbers look 'skewered'
    Mmmmm.....skewered.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

It's going to take them making the playoffs to start to turn the tide in attendance numbers. Castellini's just going to have to accept that fact; consider whatever expenditures on players at the deadline to be downpayments on next year's attendance.

Promotions are good and smart. They'll need those, but most Cincy fans have read this script of playing well up till June before.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    It's going to take them making the playoffs to start to turn the tide in attendance numbers. Castellini's just going to have to accept that fact; consider whatever expenditures on players at the deadline to be downpayments on next year's attendance.

Promotions are good and smart. They'll need those, but most Cincy fans have read this script of playing well up till June before.
    +1
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

The attendance tonight indeed was very impressive.

What's interesting about this team is it's lack of glaring weaknesses. If the Reds would just use some of their young SP talent in the pen, we'd be set. I'd love to know what Rosenthal's source meant by "creative". Is that just about compensation or the type of talent we'd potentially bring in?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'd love to know what Rosenthal's source meant by "creative". Is that just about compensation or the type of talent we'd potentially bring in?
    I think it goes back to the Chapman signing -- finding a way to get a deal done even though we weren't in position to write the biggest up-front check, because we wanted him that badly. That was creative. So was trading for a veteran (Rolen) when we were technically supposed to be sellers, not buyers. I think Jocketty will exhaust every possibility to get the guy he wants at the deadline, whoever that is. I just hope we're in position for it to matter.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I firmly believe that this town will turn out if the Reds continue to play this way. They have shown up for the Astros so far and this team is just fun to watch right now. We want a winner so bad it isn't funny.

I do however believe there is still a lot of folks out there waiting for the swoon that seems to happen every year a little bit before the Allstar break. If we get over that hump, I think it will turn the rest of the skeptics our way.

Turn Off Ads?