Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hanigan breaks thumb

Hanigan breaks thumb

Corky Miller recalled. I think it's good that Ramon hasn't been playing every day and now he can be well rested for an increased workload while Hanigan recovers.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Hanigan breaks thumb

Huge loss in my opinion. Although Corky was hitting pretty well in triple A for once in his career.

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

In a vacuum, I'd say this isn't that big a deal... Hernandez has got the bona fides to play 4 out of every 5 days, and it'd be tough to count on Hanigan to keep on producing offensively like he has so far this year.

But this isn't a vacuum, and I have to wonder: what does Hanigan's absence do to our pitching? Most specifically: is Arroyo gonna be the same without his Personal Catcher? Let's hope so: I'm in no mood for what should be a minor magnitude-2.1 injury having severe magnitude-6.8 aftershocks...

Rick

I hope Hernandez finds a power swing again because if he doesnt we are pretty weak at catcher until Ryan gets back.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Does anyone have any idea what play did it or what he was doing?

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Catcher Ryan Hanigan fractured his left thumb sliding into second base in the fourth inning Friday night.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Just found my own answer. Per Hal McCoy

Catcher Ryan Hanigan fractured his left thumb sliding into second base in the fourth inning Friday night.

I wouldn't necessarily say that GIDP, because neither one of our catchers really has a "power swing", although Hernandez did earlier in his career.

Even with that, the offense is generally more than fine with both of them doing what they do.

My concern would be more along the lines of the even worse than Paul Bako hole in the lineup when Corky gets the occasional start. I think Bronson Arroyo made a great point when he said basically for the first time since he's been here there are no major holes in the lineup. Yes, Stubbs has struggled but you still have to respect his power potential, and a struggling Stubbs is still better than some of the dreck we've run out there.

I mean I imagine it would only be a start a week, maybe 2 if Ramon needs it or Dusty wants to protect him. But Corky definitely shouldn't be starting against the Cris Carpenter's and Roy Halladay's of the world. If and when he starts, if Dusty is smart and if he's able to, start Corky against the lesser pitchers we face.

Team e.r.a. when Hanigan catches: 3.67
    Team e.r.a. when Hernandez catches: 5.12

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Team e.r.a. when Hanigan catches: 3.67
    Team e.r.a. when Hernandez catches: 5.12
    I don't know what that really says though. I would imagine Hernandez has caught Aaron Harang every start, so that is going to run "his ERA" up right there. I don't remember who's caught Bailey most of the time, but you've got to consider that too.

But Hernandez has also been catching Cueto, I believe, who's been on fire. And one of the reasons that have been mentioned for that is he's not shaking off Ramon, he's letting him call the game.

Who's caught Homer Bailey? That factors in too.

I'd have to go back and look, but at first guess I'd say Ramon just happens to be catching the lesser pitchers on our staff, and it has more to do with them than it does Ramon or Hanigan.

I do think Hanigan has some advantages over Ramon defensively. But I don't think the higher ERA necessarily reflects poorly on Ramon.

This really sucks, Votto being hurt only makes it worse

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye fly View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily say that GIDP, because neither one of our catchers really has a "power swing", although Hernandez did earlier in his career.

Even with that, the offense is generally more than fine with both of them doing what they do.

My concern would be more along the lines of the even worse than Paul Bako hole in the lineup when Corky gets the occasional start. I think Bronson Arroyo made a great point when he said basically for the first time since he's been here there are no major holes in the lineup. Yes, Stubbs has struggled but you still have to respect his power potential, and a struggling Stubbs is still better than some of the dreck we've run out there.

I mean I imagine it would only be a start a week, maybe 2 if Ramon needs it or Dusty wants to protect him. But Corky definitely shouldn't be starting against the Cris Carpenter's and Roy Halladay's of the world. If and when he starts, if Dusty is smart and if he's able to, start Corky against the lesser pitchers we face.
    Hanigan has a far superior eye and bat skills though. Hanigan can get away with out having the power because he basically never swings and misses or he never swings at balls. Hes like the catching version of Luis Castillo of the Mets. Ramon has to have some power to produce because he will strike out, and he will chace balls out of the zone. With out the power hes going to not be nearly as productive as Hanigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye fly View Post
    I don't know what that really says though. I would imagine Hernandez has caught Aaron Harang every start, so that is going to run "his ERA" up right there. I don't remember who's caught Bailey most of the time, but you've got to consider that too.

But Hernandez has also been catching Cueto, I believe, who's been on fire. And one of the reasons that have been mentioned for that is he's not shaking off Ramon, he's letting him call the game.

Who's caught Homer Bailey? That factors in too.

I'd have to go back and look, but at first guess I'd say Ramon just happens to be catching the lesser pitchers on our staff, and it has more to do with them than it does Ramon or Hanigan.

I do think Hanigan has some advantages over Ramon defensively. But I don't think the higher ERA necessarily reflects poorly on Ramon.
    Hanigan has caught Harang I think all but once this year. Basically Hanigan has caught Arroyo, and Harang a lot. Ramon has caught Leake and Cueto a lot. Split with Homer.

If I felt like it I would go count them up but I'm too lazy to do more than quick eye looks.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Saw the replay on tv, it was jammed into the bag, nasty.

Hanigan has thrown out 38% of base stealers. Hernandez has thrown out 32%.

Turn Off Ads?