Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential bullpen? Wow

Potential bullpen? Wow

We're all talking about adding a bullpen arm for the playoff push, but think about this.

I think Aroldis Chapman and Edinson Volquez will come up as bullpen relief rather than starters, especially if the SP continue their run. Can you imagine a 7th-9th with the likes of Volquez, Rhodes, Chapman and Cordero?

I'm excited to see that..
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Potential bullpen? Wow

Both are starting pitchers. Chapman shouldn't be allowed to go over the 150 inning mark this year along with Leake. Volquez should be available at the time you are shutting Leake down for the year. Chapman is being groomed to be a #1 15 year all star pitcher, there is no way you take any chance with his arm.

I think we could trade to get some better pen help as well. Middle relief is usually cheap come trade deadline, and I would love to get another Rhodes type veteran presence in there.

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Both are starting pitchers. Chapman shouldn't be allowed to go over the 150 inning mark this year along with Leake. Volquez should be available at the time you are shutting Leake down for the year. Chapman is being groomed to be a #1 15 year all star pitcher, there is no way you take any chance with his arm.
    Leake went 150 in college last year plus another 25 or so in Winterball.

That means he could be good for 190ish or so. But in the end it all comes down to pitch counts. I would pull him at 100 pitches every game. Chapman should be good to 150 to 175. Arm was well rested coming into this season. But once again pitch counts are key. If he is going 100 pitches for 5 innings his # of innings should be lower.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Leake went 150 in college last year plus another 25 or so in Winterball.

That means he could be good for 190ish or so. But in the end it all comes down to pitch counts. I would pull him at 100 pitches every game. Chapman should be good to 150 to 175. Arm was well rested coming into this season. But once again pitch counts are key. If he is going 100 pitches for 5 innings his # of innings should be lower.
    Leake had some arm issues last year with that workload. I would keep him around 170, and I think the Reds agree.

150 for Chapman would be about right.

Would you rather have Aroldis dominate AAA all year or bring him up in the ML bullpen?
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    Would you rather have Aroldis dominate AAA all year or bring him up in the ML bullpen?
    Depends on how dominant he becomes.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

He is not dominating every start this year, so it won't be all year. He still has control issues, and throws too many pitches. He still has some learning to do. He may be "close," but he is not there just yet. Until he proves he can be consistent I would not call him up. Plus putting him in the bullpen just screws him up. Right now he is looking good for a spot in the rotation next year. I would not mess with that for something you can get in the trade market in July.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I read somewhere that the game he gave up 8 runs, that they had a late flight and he didn't sleep well, according to Mario Soto. So the organization kind of wrote that one off as him not concentrating well.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

are the reds really just gonna shut down leake at 170 innings? what if he continues to dominate and were in 1st place in august in a close race are we just gonna say oh well mike leake ur perfectly healthy and our best pitcher but your services are not needed for the rest of this year, thank you. i mean it sounds like a nice plan if your not contending but when you got a legitimate chance at doing something special can you really just shut him down?

unless the plan is just have him go every other start until september then he can get his groove back going every 5th day for a possible playoff debut.

Burton will get here before Chapman will, and Bray will get here before Volquez will.

There's lot's to be positive about.

And, Cordero, Masset and Rhodes each had the last two nights off!

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveWilly View Post
    Middle relief is usually cheap come trade deadline.
    Try telling that to Wayne K. It cost him his job.

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    are the reds really just gonna shut down leake at 170 innings? what if he continues to dominate and were in 1st place in august in a close race are we just gonna say oh well mike leake ur perfectly healthy and our best pitcher but your services are not needed for the rest of this year, thank you. i mean it sounds like a nice plan if your not contending but when you got a legitimate chance at doing something special can you really just shut him down?

unless the plan is just have him go every other start until september then he can get his groove back going every 5th day for a possible playoff debut.
    i was thinkin about that to. what if august rolls around and we got like a 2 game lead and hes been our best pitcher all year. hasnt dusty proven in chicago with wood and prior that hes not gonna shut him down. look how that worked out. hopefully dusty learned and will take it easy on leake.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1990REDS View Post
    i was thinkin about that to. what if august rolls around and we got like a 2 game lead and hes been our best pitcher all year. hasnt dusty proven in chicago with wood and prior that hes not gonna shut him down. look how that worked out. hopefully dusty learned and will take it easy on leake.
    There's no way Leakes inning cap (or lack there of) is solely Dusty's decision. Dusty was allowed to pitch Wood and Prior every 5th day because the Cubs brass was willing to do anything to get to the series. That's where Walt and Dusty have to evaluate the situation and make the right call together. Things have been bad around here, but #1) we don't have near the same level of desperation surrounding any possible race for the playoffs/pennant, and #2) we have the depth in the organization to hopefully do a decent job of replacing a Leake down the stretch (be it Chapman, Wood, or whoever).

We're all talking about adding a bullpen arm for the playoff push.
    Not all of us.

Certainly not me.

Turn Off Ads?