Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chapman is close according to Jocketty

Re: Chapman is close according to Jocketty

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Heisey/Bailey/Harang/Alonso.

I bet Houston would listen to that.

Not sure the Reds can swing taking on Oswalt's salary, but I bet the Astros would at least listen to that.
    No way is that worth it for Cincy.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Not sure the Reds can swing taking on Oswalt's salary, but I bet the Astros would at least listen to that.
    Would you really want to do that?
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

To get Oswalt to anchor this rotation?

Yes.

woy, harang's salary is coming off next year, Oswalt's isn't. Astros might take him on for a few months as long as the Reds ship the appropriate prospects with him. I don't think that is fantasyland at all.
    Doesn't matter. You're approaching this like Oswalt is a salary dump. He's not.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Doesn't matter. You're approaching this like Oswalt is a salary dump. He's not.
    No. I'm not. Thanks for putting words into my posts that are not there.

If you think offering Heisey/Alonso/Bailey is too small an offer to get Oswalt, that's fine, but that is not an I-think-the-Astros-are-looking-to-dump-salary proposal. Heck, one poster just above was wondering why I would propose so much.

I agree that the Astros are going to get quality back and not have to take on payroll. So whatever deal anyone offers with payroll coming back to the Astros will be ignored in favor of one that doesn't.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

No. I'm not. Thanks for putting words into my posts that are not there.

If you think offering Heisey/Alonso/Bailey is too small an offer to get Oswalt, that's fine, but that is not an I-think-the-Astros-are-looking-to-dump-salary proposal. Heck, one poster just above was wondering why I would propose so much.
    Jeez, you're sensitive.

I wasn't putting words in your mouth, I was telling you what I thought about how you were approaching it.

As for the poster who who thought you were offering too much, I don't think the Astros would agree.

I do think though that the package you suggested is made weaker by the addition of Harang and is only the type of thing the Astros would be required to do if they were looking to dump salary.
    Last edited by pedro; 06-02-2010 at 03:26 PM.

And I covered that earlier, by saying that if the Astros can do as well in prospects without needing to take a Harang back, if only for a few months, than the Reds won't be able to make that kind of deal to get an Oswalt.

I wrote this:

That may be, but this isn't 1996 anymore, and teams like Houston are required to take a player like Harang IF they want to get certain prospects. That's how deals like this get done more often than not in 2010. Sure, if Houston can find a deal it wants where they don't have to take a Harang for a few months to get the prospects they want, they will do that. But that kind of deal may not present itself for them.

The Reds would certainly need to try and off-load a few months of Harang. If that's a dealbreaker, then it's a dealbreaker.
    Sensitive, awesome. I guess I was hoping that my position wouldn't be misconstrued. If the Reds are to hope for an Oswalt, they will need to off-load some salary. If the Astros don't have to take some on to deal Oswalt and the prospects they want, then the Reds won't be in that market. I thought I covered that. In no manner, through any of that, was I implying that Oswalt was a salary dump by the Astros.
    Last edited by membengal; 06-02-2010 at 03:45 PM.

And I covered that earlier, by saying that if the Astros can do as well in prospects without needing to take a Harang back, if only for a few months, than the Reds won't be able to make that kind of deal to get an Oswalt.

But thanks for the lecture.
    No malice intended. I think you're reading something into my post that wasn't
    there.

I just don't happen to agree with you and gave my reasons.

Sorry you seem to see it differently.

But you are not disagreeing. You are saying that if the Astros can deal Oswalt and get what they want without taking salary back, they would do that. I certainly don't disagree with that, and said as much ahead of your post.

I am not willing to close the door on hope, though. Perhaps they like the Reds' top prospects more than other teams so they might consider a few months of Harang, say. I don't know. Unlikely, but, I am in no position to know what Ed Wade is thinking.

But I don't think it is entirely hopeless if the Reds were willing to take on the salary.

And they most likely are not.
    Last edited by membengal; 06-02-2010 at 04:02 PM.

Holy Crap, mem. That's a lot of talent.

Jocketty's MO is to send prospects, not guys currently on the major league squad. That would probably nix Bailey and Heisey.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

Jocketty's MO is to send prospects, not guys currently on the major league squad. That would probably nix Bailey and Heisey.
    Yeah, I would imagine his offer might be something more like Maloney/Alonso/Ondrusek (just to take a few names out of the hat). Given the 'Stros dearth of minor league talent, I would think they'd have to consider an offer like that seriously. Of course, it depends on what other offers they get as well.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I think Heisey and Bailey would be a great package to land Oswalt. The Astros could play up the "bringing the Texas boy home" angle with Bailey.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I think Heisey and Bailey would be a great package to land Oswalt. The Astros could play up the "bringing the Texas boy home" angle with Bailey.
    Do you really think that gets it done though?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

Yeah, I guess it is. I was thinking that the Reds might have to go strong to get the Astros to consider trading in division.

It's a pipe dream, I know. Reds won't take on the salary, and Astros likely won't deal to Reds in any event. But, if it were to happen, the Reds would have to go strong I would guess.

I think Oswalt is worth going strong. I think you can anchor a rotation with him in the dog days. He's been there before. I think he would be the kind of pitcher who would have less than usual issues in GABP.

But, yeah, not happening, likely.

I just don't want to let a potential playoff season slip away if they can make a move to get someone like an Oswalt. These don't come around all that often around here...

Probably short-term rental Cliff Lee a better target. Lots of competition for Lee, though, I would imagine.

Turn Off Ads?