Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapman is close according to Jocketty

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Chapman is close according to Jocketty

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/s...e=MLBHeadlines

How close is Chapman to consideration for a promotion if another pitcher is needed?

"I think he's pretty close," Jocketty said.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chapman is close according to Jocketty

I'm not buying it yet. I'd like to see a few starts in a row where he really spots his pitches better and is much more pitch efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I'm not buying it yet. I'd like to see a few starts in a row where he really spots his pitches better and is much more pitch efficient.
    Chapman with just 45.2 IP so far this year. Needs another 12 or 13 starts in AAA IMO and then a call to the pen for August and September.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

If anyone is desperate for pitching in the next six to eight weeks and Harang draws interest, I see him being dealt and the team relying on the depth in Lousiville with LeCure, Chapman, Maloney, Wood and even Volquez & Klinker. Wouldn't shock me to see a deal including Wood or Maloney either.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    If anyone is desperate for pitching in the next six to eight weeks and Harang draws interest, I see him being dealt and the team relying on the depth in Lousiville with LeCure, Chapman, Maloney, Wood and even Volquez & Klinker. Wouldn't shock me to see a deal including Wood or Maloney either.
    I'd be very very surprised if the Reds are sellers. No AL contender will want Harang, and the Reds won't deal him to anyone they may be competing with for a playoff spot.

Haunted by walks

Chapman is close, but LeClure is here.

My opinion is that Chapman was going through the same dead arm period that the other Reds starters went through earlier. He was just delayed because of his prior injury. I think you will see him start to string together several good starts. I would like to see him considered for a promotion in early July or after the all star break but you have to spot to put him. He could be used in the bullpen similar to how Tampa used Price a couple years ago. Then he is ready to go if Homer comes back inconsistent or is another pitcher goes down with injury. It will be interesting to see what the Reds do latter in the year when Chapman is ready and if Edison is ready also.

I'd be very very surprised if the Reds are sellers. No AL contender will want Harang, and the Reds won't deal him to anyone they may be competing with for a playoff spot.
    I don't expect the Reds to be sellers at all. In fact, I expect them to possibly even add a piece or two. In Harang's case though, they have some very promising young arms that could give you similar production and with those arms, i don't see them picking up Aaron's option for next year.

If there is interest, dealing Harang between now and the deadine, in adddition to getting something in return for him, can free up a few million dollars in salary to use for acquisitions.

I'm not saying give him away or just deal him to deal him. If there aren't any offers of value, I don't have any problem with Aaron remaining in the rotation for the rest of the year. If someone is hurting for another arm come the all-star break, Jocetty might just be able to steal a young talent and add a verteran bullpen arm or bat with the savings.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 05-29-2010 at 05:55 PM.

I take the Chapman getting close talk to be code for the Super Two date being about ready to pass.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I take the Chapman getting close talk to be code for the Super Two date being about ready to pass.
    Can't say that didn't occur to me also, MTH
    Last edited by corkedbat; 05-29-2010 at 06:02 PM.

Senor Votto

I'd love to see him come out of the bullpen this September

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I don't expect the Reds to be sellers at all. In fact, I expect them to possibly even add a piece or two. In Harang's case though, they have some very promising young arms that could give you similar production and with those arms, i don't see them picking up Aaron's option for next year.

If there is interest, dealing Harang between now and the deadine, in adddition to getting something in return for him, can free up a few million dollars in salary to use for acquisitions.

I'm not saying give him away or just deal him to deal him. If there aren't any offers of value, I don't have any problem with Aaron remaining in the rotation for the rest of the year. If someone is hurting for another arm come the all-star break, Jocetty might just be able to steal a young talent and add a verteran bullpen arm or bat with the savings.
    If harang gets traded, his $14M option for 2011 becomes mutual, which he will obviously exercise. No one is taking on that salary, and the Reds picking up that salary wouldn't make any sense. Harang isn't going anywhere.

If harang gets traded, his $14M option for 2011 becomes mutual, which he will obviously exercise. No one is taking on that salary, and the Reds picking up that salary wouldn't make any sense. Harang isn't going anywhere.
    Just checked Cots and you are correct about the option. Scratch any idea of moving Harang. He was pretty good in relief at SD a couple years ago. Might be in his future.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a "mutual" option mean both the player and the team have to exercise it for it to be picked up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a "mutual" option mean both the player and the team have to exercise it for it to be picked up?
    Just googled it and I think you are right. That may change things a bit.

Turn Off Ads?