Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jonny Gomes: Key to this year's success

Jonny Gomes: Key to this year's success

A lot of people are attributing this year's success (so far) to our mix of veteran leadership and eager youth.

While, I don't disagree with this, I think Jonny Gomes has emerged as the catalyst to this group. His hard work in the offseason and pure enthusiasm for the game has obviously rubbed off. Dickerson even touched on it in his time in the booth tonight. Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Jonny Gomes: Key to this year's success

I think there are alot of keys to this year's success.

Yes, Dickerson touched on how Gomes, Cairo and Cabrera all keep the clubhouse loose. And Rolen has been a part of many winning teams and flat out knows how to win.

Then there's the coming of age of all our youth. Whether it be our hitters or our starting pitchers.

And finally factor in solidifying the past revolving door at the 5th starter spot with an undefeated Mike Leake. That makes a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I think there are alot of keys to this year's success.

Yes, Dickerson touched on how Gomes, Cairo and Cabrera all keep the clubhouse loose. And Rolen has been a part of many winning teams and flat out knows how to win.

Then there's the coming of age of all our youth. Whether it be our hitters or our starting pitchers.

And finally factor in solidifying the past revolving door at the 5th starter spot with an undefeated Mike Leake. That makes a huge difference.
    Agree with your post. I do want to give some love out to Gomes. I was so afraid he was going to sign with another team and have a big year. He just seemed like he was on the cusp of having a big year. So glad to see him putting up numbers for the reds and getting them in big spots.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

he's been involved in a few bench clearers in the past, and he plays kinda old-school. I loved his hustle on the single to left when he had a chance for the cycle, I think he actually thought he could get two.

Gomes is an extremely welcome member of this team for sure, but I blame it all on the presence of Rolen and Cabrera. Two guys that know how to win and are showing the youth what it's all about.

Hey wait a minute..... Wasn't Rolen a target of Walt's, and didn't he also go get Cabrera after the dust had settled in the off-season? Maybe it's all Jockety's fault!

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

You can't discount Leake and what it's meant to the team to have quality starts every time out from a rookie who made the team on the last day.

Keys to success?

Rolen has played like the best 3rd Baseman in the Major Leagues.

Votto has played like the best 1st Baseman in the Major Leagues.

Our overall Catching has played like the best overall Catching in the Major Leagues.

Our Left Field platoons (Heisey/Nix/Dickerson/Gomes) has played like the best Left Field in the Major Leagues.

Since we were 7-11, our Starters have pitched like the best Starters in the Major Leagues.

Our Pitchers have hit like the best-hitting Pitchers in the Major Leagues.

Phillips has been Mr. Consistent (5th in the NL in Total Bases).

Cabrera has been nothing but excellent at the leadoff spot.

Rhodes pitching better than any Reliever in the Majors.

Cordero has more Saves than anyone in the Majors sans one.

We've been as healthy as any team in the Majors.

Baker has pushed most of the right buttons.

Our Pinch-hitters and bench have come through repeatedly.

We've got good Karma.

This team has more heart than any team in the Majors.

This team has no stars. It's a true TEAM.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-30-2010 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds View Post
    You can't discount Leake and what it's meant to the team to have quality starts every time out from a rookie who made the team on the last day.
    i agree with this. the pitching is carrying this team and it all starts with leake. leake goes out there and brings it everyday, which is fueling the other guys to step up their game. internal competition is driving them. its good stuff

Rolen to me as been the biggest part of the success..he brought a whole new level of attiude to the clubhouse as far as winning is concerned and being a professional..it's nice to see it all come out this year after the nice end to the season we had last year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
    i agree with this. the pitching is carrying this team and it all starts with leake. leake goes out there and brings it everyday, which is fueling the other guys to step up their game. internal competition is driving them. its good stuff
    If I had to pick one, that's it.

Jay Bruce, Joey Votto, and Scott Rolen have all been hitting amazing. They might be the best 3 combo of guys on any team in baseball this season. Add Gomes into that mix and Id put a ton of money that there isnt 4 better hitters on any team in baseball. Seriously they are all .900+ OPS bats basically so far this year.

I know Bruce numbers dont show it but hes been ridiculous since the 3rd series of the year.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Yeah. I look at Houston's lineup and think to myself, after Lee and Berkman hit, it's a piece of cake.

You look at our lineup and you got Gomes and Stubbs coming up and then a catcher hitting over .300. No walk in the park pitching to our lineup. From top to bottom, they all contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post

This team has no stars. It's a true TEAM.
    Agreed. It's difficult to come up with a piece, if removed from the lineup, that we couldn't compete without. Even without Votto the last 4 games, Cairo has stepped it up and proved that he belongs. (Though I hope Joey is back in the lineup soon!)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWild03 View Post
    Agreed. It's difficult to come up with a piece, if removed from the lineup, that we couldn't compete without. Even without Votto the last 4 games, Cairo has stepped it up and proved that he belongs. (Though I hope Joey is back in the lineup soon!)
    However, now it's several pieces....

Burton, Dickerson, Bray, Hanigan, Votto and Bailey. Our depth is really being tested now.

where are burton and bray?

Turn Off Ads?