Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Props to Dusty Baker

Props to Dusty Baker

I gotta give credit where credit is due. After the Reds devastating loss in Atlanta last week in which they blew a 9-3 lead in the 9th inning, I thought for sure the Reds would fold. Instead, they did the exact opposite. Since that loss, the Reds are 7-2 and have outscored their opponents 63-29. Though that loss still hurts, the Reds have rebounded better than most could have expected. I think a lot of the credit goes to Dusty Baker and some of the veteran players like Scott Rolen and Orlando Cabrera.

I just read this in the Cincinnati Enquirer:

That 10-9 loss in Atlanta, in which the Reds blew a 9-3 lead in the ninth inning, could have derailed this team. Games like that tended to linger in past years. Players could have questioned the way Dusty Baker managed the game. They could have questioned the way other players played.

But the team was past it by the time they went to bed later that night in Cleveland.

A couple of things helped the process along. First, Cabrera spoke on the team bus. Basically, he said: I messed up. We lost the game. It happens once or twice a year. Move on.

Well, he didn't say messed up, but you get the point.

When the team arrived in Cleveland, Baker had a meeting in the hotel lobby. He did all the talking.

When the team dispersed, they did so in groups. Ten or 11 had dinner together at a local steakhouse. Four or five had some beers in the hotel bar.
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...ot-just-lumber

Kudos to Dusty. He couldn't have handled that any better. I couldn't be more impressed with how this team has responded since that loss. As I said earlier, I thought that loss had the potential to send them into a tailspin but it didn't happen, and though there's still a chance the Reds could fade off, it won't be because of that loss. Awesome managing job by Dusty.

He also deserves some props for the lineup changes he made earlier in the season. Ever since then the Reds offense has been on a roll. I also think he's done a phenomenal job handling Mike Leake this season. I hope the wins continue coming and Dusty leads the Reds into the playoffs. If that happens, he'll deserve an extention, IMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Props to Dusty Baker

Brantley made a good point. We all thought it was gonna be the breaking point and end of our run. But it taught them all a lesson. They have started stepping on the gas pedal, just so Atlanta doesn't happen again.

I bet everytime the Reds get a decent lead, Dusty doesn't stop just sitting there, walking back and forth in the dugout, saying "Atlanta."
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I gotta give credit where credit is due. After the Reds devastating loss in Atlanta last week in which they blew a 9-3 lead in the 9th inning, I thought for sure the Reds would fold. Instead, they did the exact opposite. ...
    Yeah you did. But you're willing to admit that your assumption was wrong. Gotta respect that.

It's been said before but this really does feel like '99 all over again.

I have been (one of) Dusty's biggest critics ever on this board. I have hated the guy for 2+ years. Ripped him for everything, even when he hasn't deserved it.

All that being said, he may actually be perfect for this team. He finally has adjusted the lineup, and has guys IN A POSITION TO SUCCEED! That is all I've ever asked of him. Phillips out of the 4 hole, Stubbs out of the 1 hole, and O-Cab in the leadoff spot has seriously ignited this offense. At this point, I have a hard time comprehending an argument against that. Seriously, check the numbers since the lineup change.

I have ZERO doubt about Dusty's ability to manage a group of baseball players like this. There are very few weaknesses on this roster (never thought I'd say this), and it gives Dusty very few opportunities to screw it up. A flaw of his is that he manages his players more than he manages the game. Well, if you get a solid group of 25 guys (especially a group that includes leaders like Rolen and O-Cab) that all have solid baseball skills, and you are a good player manager, your team is going to be very successful. I have never had any doubt that Dusty could manage talent. My issue has been that Dusty is not a good match for the talent in Cincy.

Guess what? The Reds have talent. This is not a fluke guys. The Reds have scored 16 more runs than any other NL team, and the 3rd most runs in the major leagues.

Are the Reds going to be this good all year? I doubt it. Are they going to be good? Absolutely. I think I predicted 77 wins. I'm going to be dead wrong. DEAD WRONG. This is a winning team. There have been many games so far that I've gone into saying "This is where it de-rails" and I've been nothing but wrong. Just dead wrong. They keep hitting, they keep pitching, and they just keep on Rolen-ing.

I've never been more excited about a Reds team. We have the pitching, the defense, and the hitting. Let's enjoy the ride!

From C. Trent:

* Baker was asked about his contract status. He said he talked about it with management after the end of last season.

"The way I look at it, if LeBron hasn't been signed, who am I?" Baker joked. "Like I say, I don't think about it, you just do your job. God's taken care of me my whole life, why would I start worrying about stuff now? Plus, in San Francisco, people don't understand I had five two-year contracts. So if anyone knows how to be a lame duck, it's me."

Still, as much as he's joked he wants to be here.

"I didn't come here to help build and leave," Baker said. "These are my boys."
    http://cnati.com/blogs/ctrent/2010/0...astros-530.php

I would like to give more credit to Dusty, he's a good enough man and I don't think he's uncreditable, but I still think for the most part this club as constructed is a bit short still but could win along these lines (and perhaps a tad better) with most any decent manager. I won't go on about other guys who could do it but I just believe they tend to win despite Dusty. As a matter of fact I still think he has cost them several wins already and though guys must execute and be accountable (Masset, Lincoln especially) Dusty has to know when to say ok let's try something different for the time being. Maybe a bit unpopular at this point but my honest take.

All that said he can change my mind just not sure what it is gonna take for that to happen. I think if handled properly this team can make the playoffs (I felt all along they had a shot at squeaking their way in) so anything beyond that I guess I might have to reassess my stance. But Kodos to him for some of things I know for a fact he has done, moving BP out of the 4 hole and playing Hanigan more come to mind.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 05-30-2010 at 01:08 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I think making the playoffs or winning over 90 games....should change your mind. I did not think they would make the playoffs...I just thought they would take a step up....like they did from 1984 to 1985. Same stuff there.... a lot of good young players meshed around a lot of veterans who were a little past their prime but still had enough left to more than contribute.

'Maligned' Dusty Baker finally has a Reds team he likes
    By Bill Koch

CINCINNATI -- As the Reds begin a three-game showdown in St. Louis Monday against the second-place Cardinals, they finally appear to have the team that Dusty Baker has been trying to build to challenge to the Cardinals and the rest of NL Central ever since he was hired to be the Reds’ manager in 2008.

But reaching this point, Baker said Sunday, took time – more time than most fans were willing to accept

“We were maligned last year and the year before when we were building this thing,” Baker said. “People expect you to have it built, but we were in the process of building.”

The team the Reds field now, with an emphasis on defense, speed and pitching, bears little resemblance to the one Baker inherited. The only players still on the roster who were in the starting lineup on Opening Day in 2008 are Brandon Phillips and Aaron Harang.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...05300052/1071/

Typical Dusty. When the team was bad, it wasn't "his team" or a team he liked, so obviously it wasn't his fault that they lost. Now that they are winning, it's suddenly "his team" and he can take the credit. What a classy guy - blaming others when he loses and soaking in the praise when he wins.

EDITED TO ADD:

This is just too rich not to quote:
    But he wouldn’t take any job just to be a manager again.

He did some research, saw the talent the Reds had in their system and liked the idea of coming back to manage in the same division the Cubs played in.
    Yes, I'm sure Dusty carefully studied the talent level in the Reds' minor league system before deciding to take this job. It couldn't have been that literally no other team in baseball wanted to hire him for whatever price he was asking.
    Last edited by top6; 05-31-2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: comedy

Every time a player is interviewed...you hear about accountability to one another, the great work the coaching staff is doing, Berry, Hatcher, Jacoby, Price. Every player has been quick to downplay their good game or accomplishments...and quickly turn to 'team'.

In organizational leadership....this does not happen unless the tone has been set from the top.

Success doesn't happen unless there is talent.....but when there is both, it's good to be part of.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Managing a major league baseball team is a lot more complicated than a lot if people realize and Dusty Baker is much better at it than a lot of people give him credit for.

You don't have a twenty year career as a manager in the major leagues because you are a moron.

Nice to see you giving props to Dusty OBM.
    School's out. What did you expect?

As for him being classy or not, I've heard enough praise of him from the players that have played on his teams to know what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    As for him being classy or not, I've heard enough praise of him from the players that have played on his teams to know what I think.
    Would those be the teams who had star players who are now known, proven cheaters? I would have liked Dusty as well if he was either (a) too stupid to know I was cheating or (b) knew I was cheating, but did nothing, thus allowing me to make millions of dollars.

Sorry, if you can't tell, I really don't like Dusty Baker, and I can't believe he is now saying that he just got the Reds team he needed. Kind of a huge insult to Dunn and Junior, by the way, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    Would those be the teams who had star players who are now known, proven cheaters? I would have liked Dusty as well if he was either (a) too stupid to know I was cheating or (b) knew I was cheating, but did nothing, thus allowing me to make millions of dollars.

Sorry, if you can't tell, I really don't like Dusty Baker, and I can't believe he is now saying that he just got the Reds team he needed. Kind of a huge insult to Dunn and Junior, by the way, but whatever.
    Carrying around that kind of anger can't be good, bruh.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post

I can't believe anyone would think any of the previous Reds teams were the type of team that had a chance of winning. As for Dunn and Junior being "insulted" I'll wait for them to tell the world they feel that way before I buy that. I have a feeling I'll be waiting a long time.

As for Dusty being too "stupid" to know that Bonds was "cheating" I'm sure he suspected that he was, as did everyone else. Regardless, what was he supposed to do about it? it's MLB's job to test players, not the managers.

Turn Off Ads?