Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Just got a droid. What are the best apps?

Legends Never Die

Re: Just got a droid. What are the best apps?

What if you have no friends to play with doug?
    "Baseball is a simple game. If you have good players and if you keep them in the right frame of mind then the manager is a success."- Sparky Anderson

If anyone could make me a real signature that would be awesome I am not great with photoshop.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cuban_Missile View Post
    What if you have no friends to play with doug?
    You can start a game and it will find you a random person to play with too.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I've had a Droid for a couple months. Out of all the apps available I have only found like two that are useful. The phone is great...the apps, not so much.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    I've had a Droid for a couple months. Out of all the apps available I have only found like two that are useful. The phone is great...the apps, not so much.
    So you didn't find at least one of the following useful: internet, email and maps?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Well yeah those are awesome but part of the phone. I mean all the other after market stuff that is out there.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Well yeah those are awesome but part of the phone. I mean all the other after market stuff that is out there.
    I suggest you look further into things you enjoy. Here is a list of the "aftermarket" apps I have on my phone currently:

AIM - Aol Instant Messenger. Helps me keep in touch with some people while on the road.

MLB At Bat Lite - Hoping I can still watch highlights during the season. Otherwise, its getting removed.

Barcode Scanner

Dropwords - Fun little word game.

Ebay - Nice to have when you are active on ebay.

Google Skymap - You can hold it up to the sky and it will show you the stars and constellations. Pretty cool little app.

Hootsuite Lite - Twitter App

Iheartradio - Haven't used it in forever.

IMDB - Always handy when trying to figure out where you know that actor from.

Live Scores - Now run by Yahoo, can give you updates/scores/boxscores on all kinds of different sports. Love it.

Mixzing - Haven't used my phone for music in a long time. When I did, I used this.

Pandora - See above, but for "radio"

Paypal - I have a paypal business credit card. Helps me keep on top of how much I have in my account.

PdaNet - allows me to tether my Eris to a laptop to use it as the internet connection if Wifi isn't available for the laptop.

PDF Viewer - allows me to read PDF's.

Pioneer Ball - An app for the Pioneer League which gives stories from throughout the league from the newspapers that cover the specific teams.

Pure RSS - Haven't used it in a while, but once the baseball season starts it will get more usage. Allows me to check out specific RSS feeds at given time intervals.

Quick Office - Allows you to read certain types of "MS Office" files.

RedsMinorLeagues - Shameless self plug, but a generic type app for my website that lets you read the stories and comments.

Shazam - Listens to songs and tells you what they are. Haven't updated it in a while since it used to be as many songs as you want, but newer versions are only like 5 songs a month unless you want to pay.

Shopsavvy - Lets you scan the UPC of products, then searches and finds you prices both locally and online for that product. Very useful at times.

Skyfire - Web browser

Sportypal - A fitness trainer app. Very awesome for runners/cyclists. Tracks distance and speed, as well as maps out your route on a map for you if you would like.

The Weather Channel

Words with friends Free - A scrabble like game you can play with friends or just random people you get matched with.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Wow, I guess it depends on what you like and don't like as far as finding good apps, but I've found quite a few of them that I use pretty often. I use Twitter and Facebook all the time so I love having apps for those on my phone. I also like having the TV Guide app since I never know what's on at different times (especially when it's all reruns and I'm trying to find something else to watch) and as an entertainment junkie, I also have the E!Online app which usually has some fun stories or videos on it. I have a few different sports apps including the ESPN Scorecenter where I can put all my fave teams in and get scores right away. I plan to purchase the MLB At Bat app at some point so I can enjoy that during the season (that will be the first and only app I ever pay for on this phone : ). I also love Pandora and the other music apps that are out there and for games, Angry Birds and Paper Toss are mad addicting games that you can play anytime. It doesn't sound like you're enjoying your phone very much so I hope you can find more apps that you like sometime soon. Droids are pretty great phones but what's the point of having it if you aren't really enjoying it?
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I don't understand the point of twitter, facebook, ebay, etc. etc. specific apps.

I just use Dolphin browser, and view the native versions of the sites, instead of a dumbed down version you get in an app

Redlegs_87

I use tweetdeck for twitter and facebook posting on my Android and on my PC. Very clean and simple shortens urls for you and other spiffy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bengalsown View Post
    I don't understand the point of twitter, facebook, ebay, etc. etc. specific apps.

I just use Dolphin browser, and view the native versions of the sites, instead of a dumbed down version you get in an app
    Those apps can alert me of things. That is why they are much better than just using the browser, I don't have to waste time checking them on a browser if nothing new is updated. If I need to then view the full version for some reason, I can bust out the browser.

OK, I've scanned through this thread. My regular cell phone is dying (services to be determined later) and I'm thinking of moving to a data phone of some type. The guy at Verizon's customer service number suggested a Droid since I can tether it. He mentioned an app called PDANet that allows it, but I gather from reading this thread that it might not be "according to Hoyle." When I asked about it at the Verizon store, he wasn't familiar with it.

My tech guy mentioned that his partner had a droid and finally got rid of it because he couldn't check his email because it wasn't a gmail account (didn't work so well if you're checking Fuse or some other email server, which would be my business email).

So what should I look at? If I want to have wireless on my laptop, should I look to get a datacard? I'm a Verizon customer for my cell, but a Cinti Bell for home and internet. Unfortunately Cincinnati Bell doesn't have wireless devices that allow you to access outside the area.

I've decided to pull out one of our old cellphones for now to temporarily replace the one going on the fritz since we're traveling to Missouri tomorrow. But I think I want to make the jump to some sort of data phone and having the ability to connect wirelessly when needed (perhaps for some work stuff at clients).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    OK, I've scanned through this thread. My regular cell phone is dying (services to be determined later) and I'm thinking of moving to a data phone of some type. The guy at Verizon's customer service number suggested a Droid since I can tether it. He mentioned an app called PDANet that allows it, but I gather from reading this thread that it might not be "according to Hoyle." When I asked about it at the Verizon store, he wasn't familiar with it.

My tech guy mentioned that his partner had a droid and finally got rid of it because he couldn't check his email because it wasn't a gmail account (didn't work so well if you're checking Fuse or some other email server, which would be my business email).

So what should I look at? If I want to have wireless on my laptop, should I look to get a datacard? I'm a Verizon customer for my cell, but a Cinti Bell for home and internet. Unfortunately Cincinnati Bell doesn't have wireless devices that allow you to access outside the area.

I've decided to pull out one of our old cellphones for now to temporarily replace the one going on the fritz since we're traveling to Missouri tomorrow. But I think I want to make the jump to some sort of data phone and having the ability to connect wirelessly when needed (perhaps for some work stuff at clients).
    I have no problem checking my Time Warner email on my droid. I have 3 different email accounts I can check. It's just a matter of knowing the incoming mail server (usually a "POP" server) and your outgoing mail server (usually "SMTP") for your ISP. You just have to make sure it's set up properly.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Yeah, you can set up any email account on it.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post

I use PDANet all the time. Works very well.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

The glass is 1/3 full....

There is a new one called "TuneIn Radio." Has EVERYTHING that you ever wanted in a radio app. I highly recommend it. You won't be disappointed.
    The Crimson Crusader....knows...!
    ...heh heh heh heh...

"Why does everybody stand up and sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"
    ...when they're already there?"

Turn Off Ads?