Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Just got a droid. What are the best apps?

Re: Just got a droid. What are the best apps?

Just started using google tracks today. Could not upload the data from today's hike with the kids to my maps from the droid, but was able to create the map when I got home by uploading the file.
    Anybody used it? I'd like to figure out why I couldn't upload via the droid.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I just downloaded "Sleep-as-an-droid", a device that basically tracks your sleeping pattern. I believe with the paid version you get a lot more features, such as sounds you can have play through the night, alarms that sync with your sleeping patterns so it doesn't wake you from a deep, deep slumber, etc. I'd suggest checking out the free version at least.

My must haves:

Slingplayer: I purchased a slingbox from Best Buy and this app works with it. It allows me to watch live, dvr, on demand from my cable at home. If I am in NY, and my daughter is at home in Tennessee watching Mickey Mouse, I can change the channel on her. In other words. Whatever tv you have your slingbox set to, you can watch, change channels, set and watch recordings for dvr, or watch on demand right on your phone. Ridiculous!

MLB At Bat: Still want to be able to watch tje games live with this. But the slingplayer allows me to do that luckily.

MP3 Music Downloads: You can download (very quickly) your own library of songs pretty much making an ipod.obsolete. Download or just listen to almost any song out there with this free app!

Kindle: Free app! Works exactly like a Kindle book reader. Just smaller as it is on your phone screen. I have read several books already using this though. You purchase the books off of amazon within the app. Then the books get uploaded directly to your app. Amazing!

YouTube
    Justin.tv
    Pandora: Best way for me to just.listen to songs I may have not heard before.
    Facebook
    Stitcher: Best podcast app so far.
    Angry Birds: addictive game
    Unblock Me: addictive game
    Tango: call someone who also has this app and.have a live video conversation with them.
    Tikl: Works like a walkie talkie with any one from your contacts list who also has the app.
    Movies: Watch trailers, rate movies, get showtimes, see what's coming on DVD, read reviews.
    Twitter: love the widget.
    Aquarium Live Wallpaper
    Voice Search: Instead of typing in what you want to look up on the internet, just click on the voice search and speak!
    Last edited by David Cubbedge; 02-07-2011 at 11:43 PM.

Stat geek...and proud

Aargh. I was putting my coat on to leave work the other night and my phone fell out of my pocket. You know what's next. Yep. Cracked screen. Crap. Still works though. Still feeling out my options as far as repair/sell on ebay and buy another phone/just wait a year until upgrade time. I really want to keep using an Aria as it seems to be the only ATT phone that runs Cyanogen, which I'm pretty much in love with as a ROM.
    Last edited by gilpdawg; 02-08-2011 at 04:24 AM.

The Aria has such a tiny screen though. loving my streak rocking Streakdroid 1.6.1 super fast. Anyone using quadrant for benchmark testing the speed of their droid?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Aargh. I was putting my coat on to leave work the other night and my phone fell out of my pocket. You know what's next. Yep. Cracked screen. Crap. Still works though. Still feeling out my options as far as repair/sell on ebay and buy another phone/just wait a year until upgrade time. I really want to keep using an Aria as it seems to be the only ATT phone that runs Cyanogen, which I'm pretty much in love with as a ROM.
    One of the guys I work with had an Aria and dropped his. He ordered the stuff in to repair it himself and was able to fix the digitizer and pretty much had it looking like new, except it still wouldn't power on. He sent it back to AT&T and they shipped him a replacement.

You might check into that. Order the parts to repair the screen and send it back saying its defective rather than send it back with a cracked screen and have to pay for a replacement phone. It's not cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I just downloaded "Sleep-as-an-droid", a device that basically tracks your sleeping pattern. I believe with the paid version you get a lot more features, such as sounds you can have play through the night, alarms that sync with your sleeping patterns so it doesn't wake you from a deep, deep slumber, etc. I'd suggest checking out the free version at least.
    I downloaded this and tried it last night. It produces all kinds of information although I'm not sure what the significance of any of it is. I also don't know the underlying principles between the sound I make and what phase of sleep I'm in. Perhaps breathing patterns change in REM?

If nothing else, the alarm is not as jarring as the stock alarm.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

This may only be of interest to me but there was an Angry Birds update over the weekend and now there are three more worlds to conquer. Woot! Procrastination rules again! LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    The Aria has such a tiny screen though. loving my streak rocking Streakdroid 1.6.1 super fast. Anyone using quadrant for benchmark testing the speed of their droid?
    I must be odd, because I love the size of that phone. My buddy has an original Droid and that thing is just too large for me. Thing is, I've got pretty big hands, and the Aria is still comfortable. But I see people all the time saying it's too small.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I downloaded this and tried it last night. It produces all kinds of information although I'm not sure what the significance of any of it is. I also don't know the underlying principles between the sound I make and what phase of sleep I'm in. Perhaps breathing patterns change in REM?

If nothing else, the alarm is not as jarring as the stock alarm.
    I think the paid version gives you features such as the alarms that wake you up when you are in a lighter sleep, which will apparently make you less tired? I only have the free version, and at minimum it's interesting to see how much I toss and turn in my sleep, and when I do it. I haven't messed around with the alarm features or the lullaby features too much.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    This may only be of interest to me but there was an Angry Birds update over the weekend and now there are three more worlds to conquer. Woot! Procrastination rules again! LOL
    I have spent waaaaaaaay too much time on that game. And there are 3 more levels coming out next month too, so it looks like I'll be spending even more time on it!

Just picked up two 1800mAh batteries, with wall dock charger and micro USB cable for 34 bucks for my droid incredible... And so far its a huge improvement over stock. Been unplugged nearly 14 hours now witj moderate usage and still have about 80 percent life left.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Just picked up two 1800mAh batteries, with wall dock charger and micro USB cable for 34 bucks for my droid incredible... And so far its a huge improvement over stock. Been unplugged nearly 14 hours now witj moderate usage and still have about 80 percent life left.
    Where did you get them?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Legends Never Die

Didn't do my entire research on must have apps but one that I se everyday because I love movies is:

IMDB: The Internet Movie Database. This app is just like the website and has everything you need to know about old movies, new movies, upcoming movies, actors and actresses, tv shows. It is great and there is always a question on who was in this, what are they doing now, what is this quote from and it literally gets used all the time.

Other apps:
    Tweet Caster: Much better twitter app
    Flashlight: Uses your led lights for a flashlight
    Foursquare: to show people where you have been on twitter and facebook
    RunPee: an app that tells you a good time to be during a movie in theaters so you don't miss anything and it will tell you what you missed when you were peing by giving you a synopsis to read. (Fun fact about this app Jordan Palmer, Carson's brother and Bengals 3rd string QB developed this app)
    ESPN Scorecenter: for all your score needs can program favorite teams to have a favorite team list for easier score checking.
    ScoreKeeper: Fun score keeping app for card games like rummy or hearts
    "Baseball is a simple game. If you have good players and if you keep them in the right frame of mind then the manager is a success."- Sparky Anderson

If anyone could make me a real signature that would be awesome I am not great with photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Where did you get them?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/r...3XOUM12&sr=8-2

Up time, 27 hours.. Awake time 5 and change.. Still rocking 50 percent power. Off first charge. Extremely happy right now. It fits the stock battery door, no replacement there, so I did NOT have to replace my case. Perhaps already the best investment I have made on this phone, as the battery life was my only complaint.
    Last edited by cincyinco; 02-13-2011 at 02:46 PM.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?