Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix Instant Streaming Recommendations Thread

Re: Netflix Instant Streaming Recommendations Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    The "Streaming Only" plans are pretty lame. For $5 per month, you can stream up to 2 hours of video *per month* only on your computer, not on a Wii or PS3. The other plan costs $8 per month, and only allows you to stream "StarzPlay" movies, which is a very limited selection.

The $9 per month plan is the best deal, by far.
    I was just looking and realized they no longer offer the "streaming only" plan. Odd since the CEO has said repeatedly that is their future.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    The "Streaming Only" plans are pretty lame. For $5 per month, you can stream up to 2 hours of video *per month* only on your computer, not on a Wii or PS3. The other plan costs $8 per month, and only allows you to stream "StarzPlay" movies, which is a very limited selection.

The $9 per month plan is the best deal, by far.
    Man, we're really liking it Johnny. The kids are streaming movies like crazy. I'm seriously considering buying another streaming device for my bedroom. I'd appreciate any advice on what to possibly get? I can't afford to spend a lot, and I'm looking at a Roku, which they say runs around $80.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

We have two different TV's. The one in the living room is an older, non-digital TV, so we'd need a device for that. The one in our room is new and has a hook-up for plugging my computer in. Not sure which plugs I need for that. Has anyone else used a cable to plug the computer into the TV. Would that also work for MLB.tv too?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    We have two different TV's. The one in the living room is an older, non-digital TV, so we'd need a device for that. The one in our room is new and has a hook-up for plugging my computer in. Not sure which plugs I need for that. Has anyone else used a cable to plug the computer into the TV. Would that also work for MLB.tv too?
    I used to do do that before netflix started streaming to the PS3. Most laptops have an HDMI port, that's what I used and it worked great. And yes it also works for mlb.tv.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Does anyone else use a Roku for streaming on Netflix? Was thinking of purchasing one so I don't tie up the kid's game systems so much.

And while it might be on their website somewhere (I can't find it), what are the other monthly plans where you can get more then one movie out at a time?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Are avatars a perk?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Does anyone else use a Roku for streaming on Netflix? Was thinking of purchasing one so I don't tie up the kid's game systems so much.

And while it might be on their website somewhere (I can't find it), what are the other monthly plans where you can get more then one movie out at a time?
    My brother in law uses it for Netflix. He says it works well.

But you might want to take a look at the Western Digital WD TV Live Plus HD media player as well. In addition to Netflix, you can stream movies and music from your PC if you buy a USB wireless adapter or you can play them from an external hard drive.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I ordered mine the first day it became available, and based on my order number, I was one of the first 1000 people to own a Roku box.

It's great. One of the simplest pieces of A/V gear I've ever seen to set up and use. The company keeps adding features, so it now connects to a lot more things than it did when I bought it.

The info on this page is correct. It does seem to be buried on their site.
    http://www.onlygoodmovies.com/good/movies/netflix/

When I'm logged in to my account there, I can see the upgrade options at: https://www.netflix.com/Subscription...ctr=yas_change
    Last edited by Unassisted; 07-20-2010 at 01:35 PM.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by couch_manager View Post
    But you might want to take a look at the Western Digital WD TV Live Plus HD media player as well. In addition to Netflix, you can stream movies and music from your PC if you buy a USB wireless adapter or you can play them from an external hard drive.
    This is what I was about to suggest. I don't own one but a friend recommended it to me and I just started looking into it.
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Quote Originally Posted by couch_manager View Post
    My brother in law uses it for Netflix. He says it works well.

A friend of mine bought a Western Digital player last year, and he regrets it now, because the company has come out with next-gen players and stopped supporting his old player.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

My son has a practically new XBox360 that he had gotten a few months ago and yet barely uses. He wanted to sell it ($100) and get a new PS3. I decided I'd buy it - and no, I don't play video games, but it does keep it in the family just in case - rather then get a Roku. I just bought a wireless adapter for it so I can use it in my bedroom to stream Netflix.

My son has a practically new XBox360 that he had gotten a few months ago and yet barely uses. He wanted to sell it ($100) and get a new PS3. I decided I'd buy it - and no, I don't play video games, but it does keep it in the family just in case - rather then get a Roku. I just bought a wireless adapter for it so I can use it in my bedroom to stream Netflix.
    How much was the wireless adapter? Do you need a device to get the wireless to work or can you just get an adapter to use with your home's wireless connection?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

How much was the wireless adapter? Do you need a device to get the wireless to work or can you just get an adapter to use with your home's wireless connection?

There is a 360 specific adapter because the older 360s don't have built-in WiFi. It plugs into the network port on the back of the console. Other than that it is straight forward wireless networking.

I got my wireless adapter off of Ebay for $35. If you have a wireless router in your home it will detect the system.

BUT.... there's a catch with XBox if you want to stream Netflix, which I didn't know about. You have to have a XBOX Live Gold membership in order to do so. You can purchase those on Amazon for around $35-$40 for a 12 month subscription.

Now IMO, unless of course you're a gamer who likes to play games on-line also, why pay for something when it's available for free (referring to the Netflix streaming). I stream for free thru the Wii and PS3, but with XBox you have to pay extra???. NOT!

I went ahead and bought a Roku for $70 for in the bedroom. It's easy to set-up and use, and there is no extra fees to stream Netflix. Just the one-time charge to purchase the box.

So if anyone is interested in buying a practically new Xbox360 w/ the wireless adapter - I also have an external extra hard 20 GB hard drive, then PM me. I'll make you a good deal.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-28-2010 at 05:29 AM.

Just got my Roku the other day. Real easy to setup, and works great.

I know have no reason to ever leave the bedroom.

My dad was watching some old dean martin/jerry lewis tv shows from c 1950. he said they were terrible. He's watching Jack Benny and Red Skelton now.

He recently watched "You Can't Take it With You" from 1938. Said that was one of the first movies he saw as a kid. Said it was great. I'll have to watch it sometime.

We have 90 movies in our instant queue, and hardly use the DVDs, but it's nice to get a new movie every now and then.

You can request a movie before it's released, and it will go into you queue when the release date gets close. Got one or two movies in my mailbox the day they were released.

Turn Off Ads?