Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix Instant Streaming Recommendations Thread

Re: Netflix Instant Streaming Recommendations Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I've heard that splitting the services might result in more videos available for streaming in the future. If that is true, it might eventually work out for the best. The movie industry seems to be trying to keep the dvd market afloat by limiting what can be made available for streaming. As more devices with streaming capabilities come to market, propping up the dvd market to the detriment of streaming may prove difficult. Not to say that dvds will go away. People still love to own them. But dvds as a rental medium may fade.

I think cable faces the biggest threat from streaming. Why subscribe to a premium movie channel when streaming services provide the same content in a more convenient manner?
    I agree, DVD's will eventually be on the way out as a standard, but why do this now, before they have even close to enough titles to make it possible to have one without the other? None of the HBO content is available streaming, nor are a ton of films. Basically I see this as a fine move a year or so from now when streaming content has moved forward and indeed started to make it possible to do without the disc service.

I've basically resigned myself to doing away with one or the other, and now I guess I have to choose. I love the convenience of the streaming, but I like the selection of DVD's...Crap. I've got much more important stuff to decide than this.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I get Amazon through my Roku, and have looked into it. AP's current subscription is $79/year, but it's movie selection (approximately 6,000) is far inferior to Netflix, Hulus, and several others at this current time, though there could now be a push to vastly improve it.
    They definitely are making a big push over the next year as exclusive agreements with Netflix expire. The two biggest carrots for me were every episode of every Star Trek and Dr. Who series. Amazon in general is stronger with the tv series I like, which is most of what I use the streaming for. I'm lucky in that the Cincinnati library system has virtually any movie I'd like to watch on DVD, so the lack of movies isn't a big deal to me.

I also benefit greatly from the free two day shipping which has a lot to do with my decision to go with Prime. My wife and I both use Amazon to order books and recordings that we simply can't find in local stores. I certainly agree that other providers have more quantity of titles.
    Last edited by reds1869; 09-19-2011 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I've heard that splitting the services might result in more videos available for streaming in the future. If that is true, it might eventually work out for the best.
    Not if they can't renew their agreement with Starz Entertainment, and it ain't looking good, which supplies a key part of their library.

The movie industry seems to be trying to keep the dvd market afloat by limiting what can be made available for streaming. As more devices with streaming capabilities come to market, propping up the dvd market to the detriment of streaming may prove difficult. Not to say that dvds will go away. People still love to own them. But dvds as a rental medium may fade.
    While I agree that DVDs for sale isn't going away any time soon because people like to own (though I do think that market is dwindling), IMO, the future is in instant streaming right into your home. It's way too convenient and easy. Now whether that will be a monthly/yearly subscription fee or simply paying per movie viewed is yet to be determined. I think video rental stores will become obsolete at some point.

And another factor is that with the technology today a lot of people will rent a movie first to see if it's good or not, and avoid paying out $20 to buy a bad movie. And if so, they're burning copies of those movies they decide to add to their library.

I think cable faces the biggest threat from streaming. Why subscribe to a premium movie channel when streaming services provide the same content in a more convenient manner?
    I agree. I don't subscribe to any of the premium cable movie channels (HBO, TMC, etc), and it was because of services like Netflix, Hulu, and a few others, where I could search, pick and choose, what I wanted to watch. I pay a monthly fee for Netflix, but the others are free, unless you subscribe to their "premium" service which I haven't found necessary to do.
    Last edited by GAC; 09-20-2011 at 04:36 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I read one reasoning for this Netflix Qikster split that made sense. Basically what it claimed is that the content owners were holding the streaming content licensing hostage to the physical media content and vice versa. They were trying to get the content licensed at the total number of Netflix subscribers and not just the number of streaming users.

By splitting the DVD mailing service away from the Streaming only service it will weed out users and then make licensing easier for both companies. This is the only thing that makes sense to me. The CEO of Netflix has made it quite clear that he wants to get away from the mailing service and that he thinks streaming is the future. I think he is right, but I also think he is a little bit ahead of the curve. The content owners are scared of streaming their content, but have no qualms over putting the discs in a vending machine and letting anyone with a credit card take them home for use. I guess they don't realize it's much easier to pirate the physical media that is using a 15 year old encryption method that can't be changed due to backwards compatibility.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Perhaps a bit off topic, but I'm trying to figure out how this Redbox thing is going to play out. 1 dollar a night for a brand new release. Yet it would be cheaper for all involved to stream that movie for 1 dollar for a 24 hour period of time. Will Redbox single-handedly keep DVDs on life-support?

Netflix added The Wonder Years to instant stream today!

Suckers for just about anything BBC, we watched all the Inspector George Gently episodes. Liked 'em.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I've been reading speculation in the technology press that Amazon is looking to buy Netflix, but they don't want the disc rental business. If a deal is indeed imminent, that would explain why it was spun off into a separate company. The Netflix CEO was asked about these rumors in an interview and gave an answer that completely ignored the question.
    /r/reds

Senor Votto

Watched Tron Legacy yesterday.Not bad

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    You just made my life better.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You just made my life better.
    Watched episode one tonight. Felt like I was 16 all over again.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Thanks for making my day.

Just noticed this weekend that they added Malcolm in the Middle to Netflix streaming. Great show.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman Techie View Post
    Just noticed this weekend that they added Malcolm in the Middle to Netflix streaming. Great show.
    The "Burning Man" episode may be the funniest thing I've ever seen on TV.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

They also recently added the entire first season of The Walking Dead. New season starts this Sunday, it would be a good time to catch up if you missed it last year. Great show.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?