Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix Instant Streaming Recommendations Thread

Re: Netflix Instant Streaming Recommendations Thread

I'm now hooked on Spartacus. It is extremely violent and has a lot of sexual content but has a pretty good story line so far. Obviously if you enjoyed Gladiator or Troy you'll enjoy Spartacus.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I watched the pilot episode for Dead Like Me tonight. Don't know if I'll continue or not. I tried Spartacus: Blood and Sand for a couple episodes, and didn't really care for the style.

But it gave me Weeds. I love it.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

I was reminded this morning that I'm following @instant_netflix on Twitter, telling about selections available for instant watching on Netflix.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    How often are they "updating" or increasing the number of streaming movies? Any idea? I really wish they streamed more TV series then they currently do.

My son found one called Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes (which I fondly remember) and just has to see it.
    They add new stuff very regularly, maybe not quite every day, but at least every week.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

When I'm home at lunch, I'll grab a TV episode. Today I watched the first episode of the George Burns & Gracie Allen Show from 1950. Burns & Allen were well established stars at this point. What always struck me about this show is they crossed the line between the show and its characters and real life, the actual performance. It starts with Burns coming on stage at the side and talking to the audience, a nice little monologue about comedy itself. He then shows the set of the living room, part of the house facade and their neighbor's house.

This is interspersed with the story played out on that set. It fades to black and moves to the set and then back again at different times. This is similar to what Gary Shandling did on his show some thirty years later. Part way through they have their jazz quintet do a neighbor and intersperse a gag scene with Burns. There are some other gags that incorporate this split between the set and the actual stage too.

You'll recognize some of the actors. The woman who played their neighbor Blanche is the voice of Betty Rubble on The Flintstones and the traveling salesman is character actor Henry Jones, fairly young then, but you'll recognize him from any number of shows.

The irony of George Burns characters is that one running joke was how old he was. On one radio episode I heard on WVXU, some scientists did an experiment on him and said he'd live to be 100 - which of course he did.

The other feature of this episode, not uncommon then, is that the commercial sponsor is integrated directly into the show.

Sorry for the lengthy review, but it's fairly interesting to me and some great comedic talent that's fun to watch.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I follow the RSS feed at the link below, which lists every addition to Netflix Instant Viewing.

http://rss.netflix.com/NewWatchInstantlyRSS

The way I prefer to follow it is by email, using http://www.feedmyinbox.com/. It can also be viewed in My Yahoo or your RSS viewer of choice.

I've been following it for almost a year with this method. Generally anywhere from 10-30 titles get added per week. It seems like more additions happen at the beginning of the month than the end of the month. Beyond that, there isn't any rhyme or reason to when things get added.

Also, FWIW, sometimes movies and shows will appear on the web site as much as a week before they appear in this feed. It isn't necessarily the fastest way to be informed, but it will insure that you don't miss out on something that you want to see when it gets added.
    /r/reds

There is no doubt in my mind that Netflix is somehow in league with the Post Office wherein the Post Office is allowing Netflix access to their barcode scans of Netflix mail.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    There is no doubt in my mind that Netflix is somehow in league with the Post Office wherein the Post Office is allowing Netflix access to their barcode scans of Netflix mail.
    Definitely. And Blockbuster gets the same benefit.

Gamefly, a service which provides games by mail was threatening to sue the Postal Service last year over the preferential treatment those two were receiving.

http://www.dailytech.com/GameFly+Acc...ticle14969.htm

Video game rental service GameFly and the United States Postal Service (USPS) could be headed to court over accusations that USPS breaks thousands of game discs each year, and offers preferential treatment to Netflix and Blockbuster.

<snip>

The video game rental service filed an official complaint with the Postal Regulatory Commission, accusing USPS of discriminating against the company.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    As Unassisted said, there is no doubt. When you are hemorrhaging money like the USPS, you tend to scratch the back of those who give you the most business. Netflix is an unbelievable boon to the postal service that requires very little work on their part. In an era when first class mail is nearly dead, Netflix represents a substantial revenue stream.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I haven't requested a single DVD by mail from Netfilx, and I still feel like I'm getting my money's worth on the instant streaming alone.

Now watching Season 1 of Californication and Season 2 of Avatar: The Last Airbender.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I haven't requested a single DVD by mail from Netfilx, and I still feel like I'm getting my money's worth on the instant streaming alone.

Now watching Season 1 of Californication and Season 2 of Avatar: The Last Airbender.
    Are you on the streaming only plan? You could save a few bucks by switching to it if you aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

Yep I was one who told everyone what a great deal it is. It is especially great in the winter time when it gets dark early, its cold out and there isn't alot to do but watch TV.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I didn't know they had a streaming only plan. Hmmm. But we're on the the minimum plan for $9 where we only get one DVD at a time and that's fine with us because I did see a lot of old movies that aren't currently available for steaming that I want to watch.

My only problem is that the boys keep pushing my movies down in the queue with their requests, so I'll probably never get to watch them. I'm gonna have to do some threatening! LOL

Called Directv last night and dropped about $30 worth of stuff off my monthly bill. Went down to one of the lesser packages but my family doesn't even know it because we still get all the channels we love to watch. There so much garbage on there. I did ask them about that Whole House DVR option they now offer where, if you have an HD DVR, you can record and watch programs on any TV in the house. It's only $3/month. Of course you have to have HD receivers in the other rooms where I only have one and standard in the kids. So it would only work between the two receivers. Then I found out it would cost about $160 to set it up and do some various upgrades, so I said No Thanks.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-16-2010 at 04:15 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    It is amazing and I've concluded that the postal service must do a scan of the bar code upon receipt somewhere in their system. We routinely send them to either Louisville or Indy (usually Louisville) and they're emailing me bright and early the next morning that it's been received.

The reason I've come to the conclusion about the USPS doing some part in this is that we recently mailed one back from Chicago on the 5th (the holiday) and like clockwork, the next morning it was noted as received, even though it was going about 300 miles instead of the usual 125 miles from here.
    One of the secrets to Netflix's success is that they have hundred of hubs across the country. They rent out or own small one room offices near post offices that just have a few guys with computers who do nothing but receive the disks (or bar scans) and then tell the closest distribution site to send out the next one on your queue.
    Last edited by TheNext44; 07-16-2010 at 08:52 AM.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I didn't know they had a streaming only plan. Hmmm. But we're on the the minimum plan for $9 where we only get one DVD at a time and that's fine with us because I did see a lot of old movies that aren't currently available for steaming that I want to watch.
    The "Streaming Only" plans are pretty lame. For $5 per month, you can stream up to 2 hours of video *per month* only on your computer, not on a Wii or PS3. The other plan costs $8 per month, and only allows you to stream "StarzPlay" movies, which is a very limited selection.

The $9 per month plan is the best deal, by far.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 07-16-2010 at 03:22 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?