Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix Instant Streaming Recommendations Thread

Re: Netflix Instant Streaming Recommendations Thread

Apart from what you can find browsing around the site I have found this site to be great to find new instant releases on Netflix:

http://instantwatcher.com/
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?

Oh I also recently watch Solitary Man with Michael Douglas. Really good movie and Mike is such a delight to watch a movie with. Heyoooo
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I am currently enjoying Spartacus: Blood and Sand. It has a comic book feel to it. Some might see that as cheesy, but it's working for me.

I am also into season 6 of Family Guy.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I watch netflix via my ps3. Is there an easier way to navigate what it all has to offer other than searching netflix.com on my computer, then pulling it up through the ps3 search screen. It feels like just using the ps3 menu only shows you 5 percent of what is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    The easiest way I've found is to look on my computer and anything I might want to watch I just add to my instant queue. That way when I open the PS3 app everything is right there in my queue, don't have to bother going to search.
    Yep. That's how I do it.

I have a HD Roku, so I'm not sure if it's available if using the PS3 or Wii, but there is a channel called "The Channel Store" where you can go in and add channels. Many are free, and some have a minimal subscription cost.

For $3/year (had to use Paypal) I added two neat channels.... Drive-In Theater, which shows all those old sci-fi/horror movies from the 40s, 50s, 60s (my son loves these).... and Moonlight Movies, which are older, and rare, B movies and specials from the 30's to the 70s.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I have a HD Roku, so I'm not sure if it's available if using the PS3 or Wii, but there is a channel called "The Channel Store" where you can go in and add channels. Many are free, and some have a minimal subscription cost.
    How are you liking the Roku, GAC? We're thinking about getting one and dropping the cable, which also ties into the "ditching pay TV" thread.

Anyone else with a Roku, please chime in too.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    How are you liking the Roku, GAC? We're thinking about getting one and dropping the cable, which also ties into the "ditching pay TV" thread.

Anyone else with a Roku, please chime in too.
    I love it so much that I bought a second one- Roku XD. That way the Wii wasn't always tied up to the one TV, and in case the teens wanted it. But they are very simple to hook-up and use. I highly recommend them. And they are rather inexpensive....

http://shop.roku.com/Roku-Streaming-...ptions-W5.aspx

When I got ours I immediately dropped what movie channels we had with Directv. The money you save there will easily pay for the Roku in a few months alone.

And Netflix is starting to expand better where you can get new releases sooner.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

"The Street Stops Here" is an excellent documentary on Bob Hurley Sr. who is generally regarded as the top HS basketball coach in the game today. He is very much an old school, Bobby Knight type. It is definitely worth watching especially if you enjoy HS sports.

http://www.thestreetstopsheremovie.com/
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Im new to the whole netflix thing..my mom gave me a free 3 month trial for my birthday..just hooked up a wii system to my big screen and spent an hour typing in movies and tv shows that werent available...I know you can order and get them in the mail in a day or so but I was just interested in the instant streaming....I must've typed in 50 movies and all showed unavailable...I dont get it because these were genre movies..star trek/james bond/indiana jones etc.... and all of them were not available...based on this I am not seeing what the big attraction is....am I doing something wrong??

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    Im new to the whole netflix thing..my mom gave me a free 3 month trial for my birthday..just hooked up a wii system to my big screen and spent an hour typing in movies and tv shows that werent available...I know you can order and get them in the mail in a day or so but I was just interested in the instant streaming....I must've typed in 50 movies and all showed unavailable...I dont get it because these were genre movies..star trek/james bond/indiana jones etc.... and all of them were not available...based on this I am not seeing what the big attraction is....am I doing something wrong??
    I even typed in numerous older tv shows--60's and 70's stuff---not interested in todays garbage the networks put out..not one episode of mash was available...was so bored I ended up watching an episode of Emergency...everyone on that show no matter what the illness was prescribed 500 ringers lactate...that must be some good stuff....

Watched Grown Ups tonight, it was cute family fare stuff. I enjoyed it.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Redlegs_87

Exit Through The Gift Shop was awesome. Check it out it's about street art (graffiti).

Also been watching Season 5 of Futurama.

I just signed up on-line for Hulu. It's free, and I did so because of all the old TV shows they carry. I've been wanting to watch the original Star Trek series, and they have all the seasons on there.

They have a Huluplus one can subscribe to for around $8/month, and one can stream it, like Netflix, through your internet-ready device to your TV, but I really don't know if it's worth it or not. I don't know if it gets all the same programming, expanded catalog, that one can get with the regular Hulu.

I understand you're interested in the streaming content, but almost uniformly, the DVD's arrive the day after they're sent. They get back to Netflix almost always within a day of being sent, so you usually only have a two day lag between selections arriving. It's a remarkable system. Once in a blue moon, it will take an extra day, but very rarely.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Movies come and go from instant streaming. I am pretty sure I watched at least one, if not two IJ movies via streaming 6 months back.

I often have 80+ movies in my queue, so if you find something you like, stash it in your queue and get to it later. Google for netflix rss feeds and sign up for one showing new additions to instant streaming.

Instant streaming, IMO, is best used for TV series. They strip out the commercials and a good part of the opening theme. You just get straight up TV. Find a series or two that you missed that sounds interesting and queue a few of them. I have watched most of Firefly, Family Guy, Arrested Development, Spartacus, and some others via instant streaming.

Good luck.

It's also a whole lot easier to find movies online for streaming, add them to your queue, them have them there to just hit play on your device.

Turn Off Ads?