Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Cincinnati REDS Golf Thread

2010 Cincinnati REDS Golf Thread

This one was more difficult to do this year for a number of reasons:

1. Par has to be either "72" wins or "90". (4 out of 9; or, 5 out of 9). The last many years were easy because our pre-season pythagorean was pretty close to 72 wins. But, this year, it's more like 81-82 wins. If it's 81, then par is 72; but, if it's 82, then par is 90. I'm going to go with this website's pre-season prediction of 80 wins by the REDS http://www.bucsdugout.com/2010/3/4/1...entral-preview , and that makes it a Par 72 course (which means we might end up like 18-under or more for the year, with lot's of Eagles and Double-Eagles along the way, and possibly an Condor, a rare hole-in-one (one a par-5).)

So, with 4-5 over a 9-game stretch (for you first-timers, 9 times 18 equals 162) being "Par", 5-4 being "Birdie", 6-3 being "Eagle", 7-2 being "Double-Eagle" and 8-1 being "Condor", let us proceed. (If we go 9-0 over that "particular" 9-game stretch, I'll worry about what to call it when we get to it, and of course, 3-6 is a "Bogey", 2-7 is a "Double-Bogey", 1-8 is a "Triple-Bogey", and 0-9 (Heaven forbid that happens, but it's a "Quadruple Bogey".)
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-31-2010 at 06:03 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2010 Cincinnati REDS Golf Thread

Hole #1: Kankanunnan

The REDS were able to avoid the sand traps along the way and with fantastic second and third shots (taking 2 of 3 from the Cubs and Marlins), they were able to drop a 7-footer for Birdie (5-4).

After 1 hole (1-UNDER):

1. BIRDIE (5-4)

Hole #2: Sand Hills

Now, that's a bunker!

And, the REDS had a lot of trouble getting out of it (being swept by the Pirates). They had one good shot (they took 2 of 3 from the Dodgers), but in the end, the sand ate them up as they finished with a DOUBLE-BOGEY (2-7).

They need to work on their sand game, I guess.

After 2 holes (1-OVER):

1. BIRDIE (5-4)
    2. DOUBLE-BOGEY (2-7)

Hole #3: Royal County Down

Relieved to get the Sand Trap from Hell out of the way, the REDS found that they could handle the Windy conditions of Royal County Down a lot easier. With nerves of steel, they took their 2nd shot and went for the pin, landing it about 20 feet short before it rolled in for the EAGLE (6-3) (A sweep of the Astros).

After 3 holes (1-UNDER):

1. BIRDIE (5-4)
    2. DOUBLE-BOGEY (2-7)
    3. EAGLE (6-3)

Hole #4: Royal Melbourne (West)

With that dynamic 2nd shot at Royal County Down, the REDS were feeling very confident going into the Par-5 hole at Royal Melbourne (West). With that extra confidence the REDS blasted their Tee-shot 310 yards down the middle of the fairway (a drubbing of the Cubs and a sweep of the Pirates with back-to-back complete game shutouts for the 1st time in decades) As a hole to be remembered (the greatest pitching performance (by Cueto) since Tom Browning's perfect game), the REDS took their 2nd shot (a 5-wood) and drove it straight to the hole....as it bounced 20 yards in front of the hole and rolled all the way into the hole for the most unlikely finish (the REDS' great victory over the Cardinals in the Civil Right's game) to a hole where the ball stayed on the edge of the hole for 5 seconds before falling in for the spectacular DOUBLE-EAGLE!!! (7-2).

After 4 holes (4-UNDER):

1. BIRDIE (5-4)
    2. DOUBLE-BOGEY (2-7)
    3. EAGLE (6-3)
    4. DOUBLE-EAGLE (7-2)

Hole #5: Pine Valley

On fire, the REDS face one of Pine Valley's toughest, and come away with another EAGLE (6-3) nailing their 2nd shot 50 yards from the pin and then chipping it in from there. (It helps to play Pittsburgh, Milwakee and Cleveland.)

After 5 holes (6-UNDER):

1. BIRDIE (5-4)
    2. DOUBLE-BOGEY (2-7)
    3. EAGLE (6-3)
    4. DOUBLE-EAGLE (7-2)
    5. EAGLE (6-3)

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

I love this man... YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

That is pretty cool. Kudos
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Yep, I agree with the others, very entertaining! I love the sand trap from hell!
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

YES......Kings is the man....it is this thread from years past that got me through the season without jumping off the cliff...it helps you sit back and see the big picture instead of freaking out after a 2-7 trip. But at the same time, like this year, you dont want to be satisfied with shooting par. Par is for the Cubs. We need to hit the 10 under and stay there. I have showed last years golf thread to so many Reds fans and they all fell in love with it.

Kings, I like how your summarizing hole by hole with pics and a write up....keep the juices flowing pal.

Hole #6: Shaftesbury Glen

Having reached the backside of the pin with back-to-back great shots (winning series against the Pirates and Astros), the REDS are in line for an Eagle (6-3) if they can sink this tough putt. But, the problem is they have to maneuver through that gulley in the green.

Sink this 30-footer and it's an Eagle (beat Carpenter and the Cards on Wednesday). Get close and tap in and it's still a Birdie (lose on Wednesday to the Cards) and they'll go to (7-UNDER)

A+ topic
    hats off to the King
    Whatcha gonna do, brother, when Brennemania runs wild on you!!

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

That wasn't a bad lay-up and tap in last night. They still got a birdie and everything is all right
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

After 6 holes (7-UNDER):

1. BIRDIE (5-4)
    2. DOUBLE-BOGEY (2-7)
    3. EAGLE (6-3)
    4. DOUBLE-EAGLE (7-2)
    5. EAGLE (6-3)
    6. BIRDIE (5-4)

(If they stayed 7-UNDER, they'd end up with 79 Wins. But, it's looking like they're going to be in the 15-UNDER to 20-UNDER range. Injuries have finally caught up with them, and it's having an effect.)
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-03-2010 at 05:29 AM.

The REDS are currently playing the 7th Hole with a chance at either Par, Birdie or Eagle. Currently 3-3 in this 9-game stretch, a win against the Giants Thursday Afternoon not only splits the series with them but guarantees the REDS of a Par on the 7th Hole. Two more shots after that (against the Royals), and this "swoon" the REDS have had might not look so bad after all. Take 2 of the next three and it's another sub-par hole for the REDS, currently at 7-UNDER for the year.

Pitchers we have going over the next three games?

Leake vs Giants
    Arroyo vs Royals
    Cueto vs Royals.

I like our chances with all three games at homes, and two of them Weekend Games with big crowds.

Turn Off Ads?