Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volquez named Game One starter:

Volquez named Game One starter:

From Mark Sheldon via ORG:

Some surprising news came down after Saturday's 7-4 win over the Brewers

Dusty Baker revealed Aaron Harang would start the regular season finale instead of Edinson Volquez. Why is that? It's because Volquez was named the Game 1 starter for the NLDS.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Volquez named Game One starter:

Wow that's a bit surprising. I'm not upset about it or anything since he's been pitching very well lately.

Since we'll be on the road to start, I would rather have Volquez and Arroyo pitching on the road, with Cueto and Wood (or whoever) pitching at home. I just like Cueto at home more than I do in a hostile environment.

OK.

I wonder if they've already decided on what to do about Travis Wood.

That may depend on whether we're playing Philly or not.

Fine by me.

He can go out and dominate on any given day, while matching someone else's ace.

could be wrong on this, but we'rent arroyo's numbers kind of shaky against the phillies?

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Arroyo was my choice but, hell - let's face it - Volquez, when he is right, has the best stuff on the staff. Arroyo has more experience but it's not like anyone on this staff has a bevy of post-season experience. We'll be big underdogs against Philly anyway. May as well gamble a bit.

Still, I must say...3 weeks ago, had someone told me EV would not only be in the post-season rotation but, the opener, I'd have thunk he or she crazy.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
    could be wrong on this, but we'rent arroyo's numbers kind of shaky against the phillies?
    Not for sure anymore who we will play...

I like this move. If we play Philly the goal is to go down there and take 1 of 2. If Volquez has his best stuff he can compete with Halliday. If not then we chalk the game up. He has a chance to be lights out if he pitches like he has been. Then you start Bronson for game 2 against Oswalt. A much better chance we get some run support for our stud Bronson and he can take us deep into that game. It gives us a better chance to take 1 of 2 I think

Quote Originally Posted by arkimadee View Post
    I like this move. If we play Philly the goal is to go down there and take 1 of 2. If Volquez has his best stuff he can compete with Halliday. If not then we chalk the game up. He has a chance to be lights out if he pitches like he has been. Then you start Bronson for game 2 against Oswalt. A much better chance we get some run support for our stud Bronson and he can take us deep into that game. It gives us a better chance to take 1 of 2 I think
    right now that's a definate IF WE PLAY PHILLY.. because now the chances are almost better that we won't... I guess that's why you play games

If Atlanta wins or San Fran wins we play Philly.

I hope Atlanta loses and San Diego wins and we play San Diego.

he will be on what 8 days rest is that good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    If Atlanta wins or San Fran wins we play Philly.

I hope Atlanta loses and San Diego wins and we play San Diego.
    Not true...

If Atlanta wins and SD wins there will be a 1 game playoff for the wildcard.

If SF wins and Atlanta loses....same situation.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Not true...

If Atlanta wins and SD wins there will be a 1 game playoff for the wildcard.

If SF wins and Atlanta loses....same situation.
    I just noticed that.

Tomorrow will be fun.

Go Padres!

Honestly, I'd rather play the Phillies then go all the way to San Fran and face Cain and Lincecum in games 1 and 2. I just don't see the Reds beating either of those two in that park.

In Philly, it's similary to GABP, and I think the Reds have a better shot at doing something in that park. If either Halladay or Oswalt aren't on the top of their game I could see the Reds winning one of those two.

But, ideally they face the Padres. I think they would take 1 of 2 in San Diego, and would win the next 2 in GABP.

Also, I'd start Arroyo game 1 in San Diego. I think he would dominate in that park in a big game.

Huh...this is exactly what I said in other threads Dusty should or would do, including starting Harang. Give me my own MLB team, somebody.

Turn Off Ads?